Campag Centaur triple chainset replacement

Top_Bhoy

Campag Centaur triple chainset replacement

Postby Top_Bhoy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:20 am

Would this be a suitable replacement for my current Campag Centaur triple (square taper) chainset? The rest of the bike drivetrain is circa 2006 vintage Campag Centaur. The rear cassette is a 10 speed 12-25 cassette with a long cage rear derailleur. Finding an affordable Centaur or Veloce square taper chainset is proving difficult. It seems its all Power or Ultra Torque chainsets these days. :(

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... trochar580

This is for a bike which will be predominately used in bad weather hence my reluctance to spend any serious money having to upgrade to the latest PT or UT BB specs. Happy also to take a small weight penalty in any replacement.

Cheers for any advice or suggestions.

darkhorse75

Re: Campag Centaur triple chainset replacement

Postby darkhorse75 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:53 am

It should work if you also buy the matching 115mm JIS bottom bracket. Don't try to fit these cranks to the campy bottom bracket as the cranks will bottom out on the taper.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:28 am

As already said, will work fine with an appropriate bottom bracket. The other alternative is something like a Sugino Alpina2 but this will be much pricier.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:42 am

Thanks for the support and advice. This is for the refurbishment of a fairly decent frame which has good wheels and shifters but I'm not really wanting to spend to much given its age. A relatively cheap replacement chainset, BB and chain makes it worthwhile keeping instead of selling for peanuts.