Farsports - Happy to answer your questions

Arlberg

Re: Farsports - Happy to answer your questions

Postby Arlberg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:12 pm

darkelf921 wrote:Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered a set. I'm a bit nervous about having ordered them from overseas and whether I've got the right hubs etc but I guess I'll see soon enough :-)
What hubs did you order?

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:23 pm

I purchased the Edhub Black hubs. Unfortunately I know very little about hubs so I hope they're okay.

I'll post a review (including weight, etc) once I get them. I'm going to get someone to look them over for me before I fit them.

As an FYI they cost $654 including shipping.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:34 pm

How did you order? I emailed twice, to two different email addresses and never received a response!

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:41 pm

darkelf921 wrote:I purchased the Edhub Black hubs. Unfortunately I know very little about hubs so I hope they're okay.

I'll post a review (including weight, etc) once I get them. I'm going to get someone to look them over for me before I fit them.

Edhubs are good, no worries there. The Swiss DT 240s hubs are probably better, but not worth the extra $300+.

We all look forward to your review! Just for reference, what wheels are you replacing?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:03 pm

Bakks wrote:How did you order? I emailed twice, to two different email addresses and never received a response!
what email addresses and how long ago?

try this email of Smart's
sales7@farsports.cn

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:54 pm

Bakks wrote:How did you order? I emailed twice, to two different email addresses and never received a response!
Through their website. I viewed the product and ordered it through their online shop.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 pm

I've just received my wheels. They took 7 days from ordering online to get to my PO Box. I'm impressed.

I took them down to my LBS to get rim tape put on them and a new cassette. My current one is about 5000kms old so I treated myself to a new one.

They weighed the wheels for me, the bubble wrap was still on. The front wheel weighed 665 grams and the rear wheel weighed 825 grams. Remember, this is with the bubble wrapping still on and the hubs in. So their estimate of 1440 grams for both is pretty accurate.

I should be picking the wheels up this afternoon and riding them tomorrow.

I hope that helps.

Farsports

Postby Farsports » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Arlberg wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:I purchased the Edhub Black hubs. Unfortunately I know very little about hubs so I hope they're okay.

Edhubs are good, no worries there. The Swiss DT 240s hubs are probably better, but not worth the extra $300+.

We all look forward to your review! Just for reference, what wheels are you replacing?
Hi ,

This is Smart. How are you?

DT swiss 240s hubs are better and price are higher.
Would you please list your wheels specifications? I'd like work out the cost for you to reference accordingly.

Thank you,
Smart

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:11 pm

darkelf921 wrote:I've just received my wheels. They took 7 days from ordering online to get to my PO Box. I'm impressed.

I took them down to my LBS to get rim tape put on them and a new cassette. My current one is about 5000kms old so I treated myself to a new one.

They weighed the wheels for me, the bubble wrap was still on. The front wheel weighed 665 grams and the rear wheel weighed 825 grams. Remember, this is with the bubble wrapping still on and the hubs in. So their estimate of 1440 grams for both is pretty accurate.

I should be picking the wheels up this afternoon and riding them tomorrow.

I hope that helps.
We all look forward to hearing about them. Can you tell us what your old wheels were, (brand, model, weight etc) so we can get an idea of what we are comparing with the new wheels.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Arlberg wrote: We all look forward to hearing about them. Can you tell us what your old wheels were, (brand, model, weight etc) so we can get an idea of what we are comparing with the new wheels.
I had Mavic Aksium wheels. The new wheels feel amazing. I had a poor day with the rear dérailleur needing an adjustment afterward as the chain kept skipping on the cassette. The Garmin decided to keep auto pausing as the spoke magnet had slipped out slightly. Then I lost my GoPro do to a mount snapping. So I wasn't in a good mood at all during this ride. Yet somehow, with all of this happening (including rain) I noticed a huge difference between my previous wheels and hubs and my new ones.

I would happily suggest anyone thinking about looking at these wheels to go for it. The Edhubs are great hubs as well.

I'm hoping for a better ride tomorrow but the rain looks like it has really set in for the next few days at least.

Farsports

2:1 hubs in rear wheel

Postby Farsports » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi,

This is Smart again.I'd like to discuss the rear hub that 2:1(16holes in driving side,8holes in nor-driving side).Normal rear hub is 12holes in driving side,12holes in nor-driving side.
Many riders like 2:1hubs in rear. Because this rear hub can blance the spoke tension in both side of rear.And make it better in truning around when riding.

Above is my personal idea,It is my appreciate to learn more...

Thank you,

Smart

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Hey Smart;

Triplet racing has both benefits and drawbacks. Lateral stiffness suffers because half the NDS spokes are missing, but if you increase the NDS flange length (which negates the tension balance) you can compensate for this loss of stiffness. Also, if you break a NDS spoke on the road, I doubt you'll be able to ride home.

I personally prefer to use light titanium spokes (generally 1/2 the weight of steel ones) to get the same weight loss, without sacrificing the peace of mind of breaking a NDS spoke.

Farsports

Postby Farsports » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Dear all,

This is Smart. I come back now.. I am really sorry to leave so many days..

Now I can talk with you and happy to discuss the bicycles.

Smart

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:27 pm

Smart,

Will you be making anymore FSR001 frames in the larger sizes (58)? I'm interested in buying one.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:50 pm

darkelf921 wrote:
Arlberg wrote: We all look forward to hearing about them. Can you tell us what your old wheels were, (brand, model, weight etc) so we can get an idea of what we are comparing with the new wheels.
I had Mavic Aksium wheels. The new wheels feel amazing. I had a poor day with the rear dérailleur needing an adjustment afterward as the chain kept skipping on the cassette. The Garmin decided to keep auto pausing as the spoke magnet had slipped out slightly. Then I lost my GoPro do to a mount snapping. So I wasn't in a good mood at all during this ride. Yet somehow, with all of this happening (including rain) I noticed a huge difference between my previous wheels and hubs and my new ones.

I would happily suggest anyone thinking about looking at these wheels to go for it. The Edhubs are great hubs as well.

I'm hoping for a better ride tomorrow but the rain looks like it has really set in for the next few days at least.
I thought I would post an update on these wheels. They are fantastic and I am really happy with them. I have about 2000kms on them now. The rear wheel needed to be trued a little. I got the LBS to examine them while they were doing it. They were impressed. I am about 90 - 95 kgs. So I was concerned to start with. Now I sprint up hills (well it feels like it) and fly down the hills. The wheels have my total confidence. I've ridden quite a few 100km rides and regularly ride 50km.

I think these wheels are well worth the money I spent on them. I would easily buy them again.

Thank you FarSports and to Chris for allowing this thread to continue. I would not have bought these wheels if it weren't for this thread.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 pm

I forgot to post a pic (I've changed the bottle cages since the pic was taken)

:-)

Farsports

Postby Farsports » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 pm

darkelf921 wrote:I forgot to post a pic (I've changed the bottle cages since the pic was taken)

:-)

Wow... this wheels are really nice.. Thanks to share your bicycle.. Great!!

dj.bren

Postby dj.bren » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Anyone has pics of the 50mm carbon tubulars on a bike. I am thinking of getting the DT Swiss hub 50mm tubulars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:36 am

BNA has just published a review of the CF50mm 23 Far Sports Wheelset

Cycling is in my BNA

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:42 pm

can anyone recommend a carbon wheel set from farsport for a giant tcx slr with disc rotors?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:34 pm

There has been an update to the Far Sport carbon fiber wheelset review. Unfortunately a problem has been identified, a wobble occurs in windy conditions during fast descents.

This was queried and the reponse from Far Sport is:
It’s a dynamic equilibrium problem, which would not be found from rims. Only after wheels are assembled on bikes, and ride in high speed descent, the problem might occur. As the resin flows and the carbon fiber were hand built on the rims, some workers might missed to put more weight on the opposite of the valve part.

To solve it, we will prepare some weight like attached(about 5g) for you to be added in the opposite side of the valve part, just put it under the rim tape. However, this problem does not affect the safety of the wheels.
The reviewer has been instructed to stop riding, the solution with the weight will be trialled when it arrives however these wheelsets are now considered a flawed wheelset. Whether this is a one-off or is a common problem is uncertain as I am aware of other reports of wobbles.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:35 pm

tomee wrote:can anyone recommend a carbon wheel set from farsport for a giant tcx slr with disc rotors?
this is what i have on my TCX. :wink:

http://www.farsports.com/product/detail.php/id-136.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they get ridden daily, and have dealt with plenty of kerb hopping and the likes.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:24 pm

Update on the Far Sport wheel for review - it took some time and Far Sport provided replacement wheels for review. The initial understanding was that they were to be identical, I agreed that a different hub was used.

I received the wheels and tested myself - a little reluctant to pass over to the reviewer if they have issue. Also new tubes and tyres. The valve hole was not perfectly round and I fixed with a sharp knife and there was no rim-tape which is a must-have. They did have their brake pads included.

On the ride, everything was good. I started cautiously and have built up and am confidently taking downhills close to my top speed and confident with the braking which has also been good in moist conditions.

In the original review there are comments on each part of the wheel: Farsport Carbon Fiber wheel review

But - on closer inspection of the wheel, the carbon fiber finish was different and some of the marking were different, for example, no line with an indication to set the brake pads to brake above the line. When Far Sport asked to update the link in the review to a 2016 model I enquired about the wheelset and they confirm that it was not an identical rim, rather is new. This means that a comparison test was not possible with the 2015 model and it is unknown whether the issues experienced in the review are a one-off or affected the entire series.

At this stage, after about 400km on the new wheelset including gust and changing conditions (wet / dry - but not downpours), the new wheelset has performed well.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:51 am

For clarification, this is the specific detail on the issue and the update:
Farsport wrote:Actually, the new wheelset has the same mould with the previous one you tested, and the craftwork is also the same. We just modified the rim bed, to make it only clincher. While the previous one is clincher and tubeless compatible. We sold thousands of the prebious model, and the wobble problem is really occasional, about 4-5 feedback with this problem. And all solved by adding weight in the opposite of the rim valve.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:38 pm

An update - I have been riding the wheels for a while now and am fairly confident. I havn't experienced issues and have been pleasantly surprised that the braking is reliable.

Brake pads were supplied and I took a lot of car to set them up carefully and align so that they were lightly toed-in and also would brake flat against the braking surface (and not at an angle). I have also ridden in moist/wet conditions though not yet completely wet. For braking I also am careful to avoid excessive heat built-up. A technique I use regardless of the wheels is brake, release, brake, release as opposed to constant braking.

Disc brakes remain (imo) superior and aluminium brake tracks are slightly better - for hard braking aluminium becomes a bit stickier (i.e. grippier) though a slight disadvantage is that when aluminium rims run too hot, the brake pads can become too sticky / soft and cause braking to become more abrupt rather than smooth. I havn't experienced sticky braking with these wheels though need to do so steeper descents with harder braking.

The wheels run relatively quietly though braking is louder, if I touch the brakes lightly to shave off a tiny bit of speed, other riders notice it whereas aluminium rims would be quite because they don't have the abrasive style braking as required with carbon.

Wind has been interesting - while they do quite well in different conditions, it is the unexpected gusts which are noticeable. There is no issue with bike control though the brief cross wind impact on the rims do make me alert.

On acceleration the wheels are doing well, my brakes are set slightly wider than on the previous low profile aluminium rims. Ca. 1mm spacing and I am not getting any rub while out of the saddle and climbing though will try and set them a bit closer.

I find that they are not as compliant as the low profile aluminium wheels. This is too be expected and is the nature of carbon fibre, though the effect cornering is that the aluminium wheels are more comfortable and have the fun-factor. It is subtle though something I notice more and more.

At this stage the new 2016 Farsport 50mm wheelset is performing very well.
Cycling is in my BNA