Factory rim brake wheel options

silentbutdeadly

Factory rim brake wheel options

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:34 am

Righto...have some so called hybrid wheels on the GhettoGraveller. Rear wheel is a Novatec sealed bearing 36h hub carrying an Alex DA19 rim. And the freehub is knackered. A new freehub is a pain to get and (at $70) not cheap. Front wheel is fine. Wheelset has done no more the 2000km so is barely used.

I have three options...

1. Replace the entire rear hub with another with better parts availability

2. Replace the entire rear wheel

3. Replace the entire wheelset

Option three appeals but (apart from some of the Fulcrum CX options) I have no idea what is out there that will carry tyres sized between 700x32 and 42, can be had on a budget (no more than $200, preferably less) and doesn't weigh north of 1800 gms (this rig is already porky). I already have a set of Fulcrum Quattro CX wheels on the CX bike and could move them across but the term 'lipstick on a pig' comes to mind.

Anyone got any ideas if some of the budget Shimano wheel options will carry a fat 700C tyre? Or any other budget factory options?
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

dalai47

Re: Factory rim brake wheel options

Postby dalai47 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:58 am

My CX training wheels which roll fine on 32mm CX tyres are R500's. They are heavy, but not sure of too many wheels in your budget that will be lighter than 1800g.

I can't see why most if not all 700c wheels could fit CX tyres?

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:56 pm

Option 2 would give the best quality rear wheel- for instance Wiggle has an Ultegra 6800 rear wheel or a custom 105 hub with Mavic Open Pro rim for your price range (bearing in mind the Unltegra is tubeless ready and chaging tyres is a roay PITA and the Open Pro has a cracking reputation).
If you can build wheels, BDOP cycling have build kits with good novatec hubs and kinlin gear (XC279's) which are a poor mans H Plus Son (ie wider- better for 32mm+ tyres), I have a set (<$280 delivered) and $420 built) and love them- others on here have said the same

Also could see if BDOP cycling have your freehub?

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:01 pm

i was going to suggest BDop.

otherwise, look on eBay for the same rear hub... should be able to pick one up under $100, then you can swap the new bearings, axle, freehub, etc. into your existing hub shell.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:33 am

CXCommuter wrote:Also could see if BDOP cycling have your freehub?
That's where I go the current replacement from. It's not a listed replacement on their site because the only way to swap it out is to gut the hub itself (you have to remove the non-drive side sealed bearing). So it's not considered by Novatec to be a typical exchange part. I got them to get it direct from Novatec...

Never built a wheel before but I'm sure I have the capacity - the problem is fitting it in amongst a range of other more important projects (family, house etc). Add to that the cost of even a basic sealed bearing hub (especially when a 4 bearing hub would be most appropriate) and I'd probably get better value out of a factory rear wheel.

This one has me thinking seriously http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deo ... 68397.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:30 am

Ended up getting the shits with the lot and spending more than I should on a solution but bugger it. Had a pair of DT Swiss 32H disc hubs (used 350 rear from Giant Anthem, new 370 front) lying about. Spoke to XLR8 wheels about them and the Graveller. So now they've gone off to get dressed with the last of their current run of house rims. Only wrinkle is that one of the rims is a 28H so I've traded the DT Swiss front hub for a 28h XLR8 branded disc hub. Cost wise is around $400 but weight wise we'll run to just on 1800gms and they'll be future proof (disc and rim brak compatible)...so it's swings and roundabouts.

Have found that the freehub is not knackered but 'tight' with the freehub side sealed bearing binding on the axle shoulder so I'll sort that by spacing the bearing slightly in the freehub and then sell them on for not very much.

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:29 pm

So will most road whelkiest work on a CX bike and with chunky tyres? Looking to build something up over summer.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:43 pm

lucky7 wrote:So will most road whelkiest work on a CX bike and with chunky tyres? Looking to build something up over summer.
People get all antsy that road rims will be too narrow to hold a CX tyre.

That's nonsense.

MTB rims used to be narrower than most road rims are now. We ran 2.1" tyres on 19mm rims for years. There's no reason a 700x35 (or bigger) CX tyre won't go on the same rim profile.

You should probably get bigger tubes to suit the bigger tyres, but I've done plenty of riding with standard 19-23mm road tubes in 35mm CX tyres. It's rubber. It stretches.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:11 pm

lucky7 wrote:So will most road whelkiest work on a CX bike and with chunky tyres? Looking to build something up over summer.
Simple answer is yes...very much so