Anyone out there got a 2015 Avanti Giro AR1?

limbot

Anyone out there got a 2015 Avanti Giro AR1?

Postby limbot » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:07 am

Think I might have found my next bike.

http://www.avantibikes.com/nz/bikes/on- ... giro-ar-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been looking at a replacement CX/Gravel Grinder to replace the Ridley X-Bow.

Previous contenders have been Norco Threshold A1 (CX geared ), Trek Crossrip LTD ( don't like the burnished aluminium) and the Specialized Diverge.

Came across this today in the local Avanti-plus shop:

Price is right at $1400 ( sorry we can't all afford the high tech carbon/electronic shift super dooper bike)
It's a cyclocross style frame with road gearing ( 50/34 11/30 )
It seems to have a good mix of gear for the $$ ( Tiagra/105).

Any comments/thoughts anyone.

2wheels_mond

Re: Anyone out there got a 2015 Avanti Giro AR1?

Postby 2wheels_mond » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:12 am

Pretty good deal for the dough, obviously wheels are a bit on the heavy side but it would be the same with any bike of the price range. Seems to have more of a relaxed road geometry than a racing cyclocross geometry if it's to be used for commuting. Only downside of course is that upgrading to 11 speed in the future could be a bit of a pain if you're looking to do so (will need basically whole groupset minus crank + maybe wheels too) but there'll still be high end ten speed gear for years to come (and it'll only get cheaper with time). The Promax discs have been used on a few other brands as OEM equipment, so odds are they aren't too bad.

For commuting, it's hard to beat a compact crank and the Tiagra 12-30 cassette. Sadly 11 speed doesn't offer such nice ratios, you're stuck with either 11-28 or 11-32.

bmk1068

Re: Anyone out there got a 2015 Avanti Giro AR1?

Postby bmk1068 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:50 am

Recently bought a Giant TCX SLR 2 for my commuter, it is about $400 more expensive, however I am very happy with it. It has the more conventional CX gearing of 36/46 with 11-28. It does come with the new 11 speed cassette.
Not as light, but far more sturdy considering that it is meant for racing. I changed out the stock tyres to 28's which as expected roll a little more efficiently.
I have found the ride to be more enjoyable and comfortable with the more upright postition albeit slightly slower, however that could just be me. To date I haven't found that I have run out of gears but living in Melbourne the climbs are short and sweet specially when going or coming into the city.