Reid CX

deedend

Reid CX

Postby deedend » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi all, I have just arrived in Australia from Italy and I needed a bike for commuting and roaming around Melbourne so since my budget was very limited I have bought a Reid CX (in Italy I was used with mountain bikes but I wanted to try road bike, cyclocross bikes seems a very good compromise for me).
I have ridden my CX for a bit (roughly 100km) and today I had punctured the rear tyre. Now, I am a bit heavy (95kg) and I am not the most delicate person in the world, I was used to MTB after all, but I think I hadn't done anything strange, mainly road and a bit of off road along the tracks between Williams town and Yarraville... Could be this a problem of the bike? Maybe a defective tyre? Or am I only unlucky?

Thanks for any suggestion

uad782

Re: Reid CX

Postby uad782 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:52 pm

I reckon you're unlucky. I have had flat tyres in less than 100 km on a new wheel. Could be a pinch flat too.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Yeah probably just unlucky but you'll know for sure if you get another puncture in the next few hundred kms!

Just one thing to check is your tyre pressures. If you haven't got one already get a good floor pump with a gauge so you know where your tyre pressures are at. Being 95kg thats the upper end so make sure your tyre pressures are also at the upper end of the recommended pressure on the sidewall of the tyre.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:31 pm

I tend to agree you were most likely a bit unlucky, according to the Reid site they come fitted with a reasonably good tyre...

https://cycletechreview.com/2014/review ... peed-tyre/

So maybe the pressure of inflation or perhaps the tube may not have been so good. I would take the tube out patch it then inflate it outside of the wheel and check for abnormalities in the tube. Also check the inside of the tyre it may still have something stuck in it that caused the original deflation, also check the inside of the rim.

deedend

Postby deedend » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions mates, I will try to fix it tomorrow at the bike shop!

Since this is my first "road" bike, if anyone more experienced has tried it can do an impression about the Reid CX? I think it is a good bike for it's price but I used it very little and I have no idea how such a bike can perform

Hastingd

Postby Hastingd » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:00 pm

I had a Reid Granite and the stock tyres would puncture easily on terrain where my family could ride without trouble. I changed the tyres and presto, no more punctures!!

deedend

Postby deedend » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:02 pm

rodneycc wrote:Yeah probably just unlucky but you'll know for sure if you get another puncture in the next few hundred kms!

Just one thing to check is your tyre pressures. If you haven't got one already get a good floor pump with a gauge so you know where your tyre pressures are at. Being 95kg thats the upper end so make sure your tyre pressures are also at the upper end of the recommended pressure on the sidewall of the tyre.
Another puncture! Seems like I am particularly unlucky or there is something wrong with my tyres... Look at what's happened: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=93625#p1395212

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:04 pm

Yeah time to try better puncture resistant tyres I'd say.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu May 25, 2017 2:36 pm

deedend wrote: Another puncture! Seems like I am particularly unlucky or there is something wrong with my tyres... Look at what's happened: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=93625#p1395212
Don't feel too bad, I parked on a spare block near my mate's house and got a slow leak in my car tyre from these things!!! I also had to pick them out of the soles of my shoes. Evil things they are!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

vindlecrag

Postby vindlecrag » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:24 am

These type of thorns are horrible.

If you are using a tube the kind of tyre you need is Schwalbe marathon. You simply need a thicker tyre that the thorn can't get through.

But that tyre is not good for grip on trails.

The tyre you have is excellent for dry/firm trails. But not very thick. Most people that use this type of tyre where there are big thorns use a tubeless (no tube inside) setup. But your wheels do not support this.

Your options
- thicker tyre, less punctures, not as good grip when on trails
- use thicker tube/tyre liner. heavy. bad rolling resistance. tricky to setup
- tubeless. expensive. you need to buy new wheels.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:21 am

You can get some tyres like the Continental Gatorskins or Maxxis Refuse depending on what your budget is.

One thing I discovered about the Reid CX was the rear wheel used a 130mm axle whereas most road disc wheelsets use 135mm. Only an issue if you are looking to replace the stock wheel set.