Dumb CX/gravel bike related questions

Ross

Dumb CX/gravel bike related questions

Postby Ross » Sat May 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Apologies in advance for the dumb questions, I know very little about CX/gravel bikes!

Looking to buy a CX type bike (if I can get the distributor to actually sell me one - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=94467&start=25) just for riding dirt tracks that are too rough for road bike and not rough enough to need a MTB.

So what pedals should I get? MTB? I think I would prefer SPD ones so they are compatible with MTB and don't have to buy another pair of shoes.

What frame type pump should I get (700 x 32 tyres) a high volume MTB type one or high pressure road?

RonK

Re: Dumb CX/gravel bike related questions

Postby RonK » Sat May 20, 2017 7:44 pm

So - are you going to get a cyclo-cross bike or a gravel bike? There are differences.

For the usage you propose, I'd be getting MTB pedals and shoes you can walk in.

My choice would be XT Trail pedals.

700x32 tyres are not high volume. You will need a high pressure pump.

However a gravel bike may have wider tyres so a high volume pump may be called for.

Good luck trying to get the distributor to sell you a boxed bike. I don't think it's gonna happen.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

march83

Re: Dumb CX/gravel bike related questions

Postby march83 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:08 pm

As above, any SPD pedal will do. You want the ease of use, durability and ease of access of a mtb pedal.

I run ~30psi in my 40mm cross tyres so I carry a short, fat MTB pump but it doesn't really matter that much - the volume is relatively low and the pressure is relatively low so you don't need anything special like you would if you were running 23c @100psi on a road bike or 2.4" 29er tyres on an MTB.