CX bike sizing vs Road bike sizing

bianchi928

CX bike sizing vs Road bike sizing

Postby bianchi928 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi,

I have decided to dip my toe into world of cyclocross with my first race this Sunday.

Initially, I will race open on my 29er mountain bike but if I enjoy it (which I think I will) I will no doubt look to purchase a cross bike, ideally, second hand to save a few dollars.

My road bike is a Trek Madone 9 (medium), 56 cm. TT 56cm, reach 38.7cm
I notice a comparable sized Giant CX bike is - (m/l) is TT 56, reach 37.5

I'm thinking a M/L will be the way to go, especially with the reach however hear that a CX bike may be one size smaller.

I have searched the forum with no luck and I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter and anything else you can suggest.

Cheers

Travis
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Calvin27

Re: CX bike sizing vs Road bike sizing

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:52 pm

You really have to ride them. I am 56 on the roadie, and prefer a 54 in the cross/beater bike - that is relatively relaxed cross bike for reference.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:01 am

bianchi928 wrote:Hi,

I have decided to dip my toe into world of cyclocross with my first race this Sunday.

Initially, I will race open on my 29er mountain bike but if I enjoy it (which I think I will) I will no doubt look to purchase a cross bike, ideally, second hand to save a few dollars.

My road bike is a Trek Madone 9 (medium), 56 cm. TT 56cm, reach 38.7cm
I notice a comparable sized Giant CX bike is - (m/l) is TT 56, reach 37.5

I'm thinking a M/L will be the way to go, especially with the reach however hear that a CX bike may be one size smaller.

I have searched the forum with no luck and I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter and anything else you can suggest.

Cheers

Travis
Looking forward a wet race tomorrow :wink:. I cant really compare modern sizing as my road bikes are old school, but i ride M/L Giant TCX which your welcome to set up and take for a ride any time. Im in Bassendean and 1hr ride can take in Garvey Park/fishmarket reserve and some PSP to get a feel.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks guys for your responses.

Nashie, I had a ball yesterday. Totally cooked before I hit the top of the "climb" but had a blast. Really highlighted the efforts required and the need to drop a few kegs and get fit again. I think I have found my winter sport.

Thanks for the offer of trying your bike, much appreciated. We are away for a few weeks so I'll see how I go, a heavy mountain bike was fun but I reckon a cross bike is the way to go.

Travis
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:18 pm

You probably need to look further into geometry rather than tt measurement. Traditionallly a CX frame will have longer chainstays and most people will run a shorter stem than thier road bike. A higher and shorter front end makes it easier to lift over jumps. If you have a few spare parts lying around you might be able to find a bargain frame somewhere.