2014 R5

warthog1

Re: 2014 R5

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:08 pm

If you can coughup for a new chainset a bb that threads together is a good fix apparently. A team budget bloke lives nearby. They run cervelos and wish bone bb's.
That is my plan with the S5 that is creaking at the moment. I'm hoping it's my shoes. Need to go for a ride with my old ones to confirm. Either way I h8 pressfit bbs and the wish bone type solution makes sense to me.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Dr_Mutley

2014 R5

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:17 pm

fat and old wrote:Update.

The creaking BB is driving me nuts!

Otherwise a fine, reliable steed that is providing many hours of enjoyment. App. 9,500 k's to date, give or take.

It's even started climbing :lol:
The creaking BB is very common in the BBright cervelos. The fix is easy, and usually, u need to do it yourself...

Options:
1) standard PF30 BB
- take out crank and knock out the PF30 cups
-grease frame and cups liberally and repress in cups (all up takes about 10mins)
-bike should now be creak-free

If creak returns, especially after wet rides then either repeat steps above or use Loctite on cups and repress in...
Cervelo instructions here:

http://bbright.net/BBrightTM-Press-Fit-Instructions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Option 2)
Install a BBinfinte or Enduro Torqtite BB and enjoy creak-free riding....

Dr_Mutley

2014 R5

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:21 pm

warthog1 wrote:If you can coughup for a new chainset a bb that threads together is a good fix apparently. A team budget bloke lives nearby. They run cervelos and wish bone bb's.
That is my plan with the S5 that is creaking at the moment. I'm hoping it's my shoes. Need to go for a ride with my old ones to confirm. Either way I h8 pressfit bbs and the wish bone type solution makes sense to me.
Nearly all creaks are eliminated by reinstalling the BB correctly. Interestingly, the BBs are all pressed in dry in the factory! If grease or loctite don't fix, or your BB shell is out of spec then the BBinfinte or a screw together BB is a good option... I must admit I havent heard much about the "wishbone" BB... Care to educate me? Why do u need to replace the crank as well?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:00 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
Nearly all creaks are eliminated by reinstalling the BB correctly. Interestingly, the BBs are all pressed in dry in the factory! If grease or loctite don't fix, or your BB shell is out of spec then the BBinfinte or a screw together BB is a good option... I must admit I havent heard much about the "wishbone" BB... Care to educate me? Why do u need to replace the crank as well?
Wishbone is just a brand of screw together BB that team Budget Forklifts uses.

http://www.wishbonetw.com/pro_2.asp?cate=119&id=119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shaun McCarthy lives in Bendigo and rides on some of the bunches here. He told me that wishbone bb's had been a largely successful solution to team Budgets' bb issues with their Cervelos.
I noticed the bb on his campy equipped R5 and he was telling me about it.
I don't know him that well, just relaying what I've been told.

I've had a bit of a look at a few screw together BBright bb's and they all seem to use a smaller diameter crank axle than a PF 30 30mm diameter crank. F & O's Cervelo looks to have a rotor 30mm diameter axle chainset?
I have sram bb cups that are loctited in as per the Cervelo forum's advice.
It was with the aid of some of your advice I removed and replaced the original bb :)
There is a creak down there now. I'm hoping it's my shoes not the crank.
In any case I reckon pressfit is a c@rp idea and I plan to get a screw together bb and new crankset in the near future. I've heard good feedback up to now.

Dr_Mutley

2014 R5

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:13 pm

Enduro Torqtite does screw together 30mm PF30 BBright BBs, but last I saw they were exxy...

BBinfinite isn't screw together, but it's a one piece sleeve that presses in from the nds... It's probably a more creak-proof than even a screw together job, as there is no real place for things to come loose, or creak... Less exxy than TT....

I looked at the wishbones on their site, they would certainly do the job, but if they don't make a 30mm bearing then that's a major fail if you need 30mm... Major expense swapping cranks for the sake of a bb... Great option if u already run shimano or GXP however...

If it's not your shoes causing noise, and indeed the cups, then u could simply just knock them out and reinstall if the bearings are ok... Sometimes even the loctited ones move, especially under megawatts like u out out [emoji6]

On this note I had a creak from my BBinfinite for a month or so... Drove me insane... Turns out it was a crack in the protector plate on my speedplay cleat... Sometimes the causes can be damn obscure!

Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:07 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Enduro Torqtite does screw together 30mm PF30 BBright BBs, but last I saw they were exxy...

BBinfinite isn't screw together, but it's a one piece sleeve that presses in from the nds... It's probably a more creak-proof than even a screw together job, as there is no real place for things to come loose, or creak... Less exxy that TT....

I looked at the wishbones on their site, they would certainly do the job, but if they don't make a 30mm bearing then that's a major fail if you need 30mm... Major eco enve swapping cranks for the sake of a bb... Great option if u already run shimano or GXP however...

Thanks I'll check out Enduro torqtite :)
I've currently got a sram S900 crank set so nothing flash. I like the idea of a shimano mid compact 52/36 for my aging legs on the hills. Currently running 53/38.

Edit; Crikey! Not cheap :o

http://www.endurobearingsonline.com/col ... 5-bearings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr_Mutley wrote:If it's not your shoes causing noise, and indeed the cups, then u could simply just knock them out and reinstall if the bearings are ok... Sometimes even the loctited ones move, especially under megawatts like u out out [emoji6]

The current ones have about 18-20 k km on them so prob due for a change. I'm 47 now and well past my best which wasn't that good :( So not excess power causing the problem, worse luck. :lol:

Dr_Mutley

2014 R5

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:15 am

Yes the TT is crazy exxy... Kind of rules it out...
Hence why I went the BBinfinite option...
Worked out to be $120ea when on special...

Then when I thought about it, I rathered the one piece idea as it eliminated all sources of creaks... Kinda, press in and forget option (It's kind of idiot proof, which I need)... Rather than screw together, have the usual, exposed, butchered external interface, and hope it doesn't come loose...

Looking at the wishbone, there is still only a small contact area between the frame and cups... If your bb shell is a bit out of spec (as a lot are), I would assume it would still creak under load without some buffering compound between the bb/shell interface (ie grease or Loctite)

A comparison of the wishbone and BBinfinite below [emoji106]

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks DrM :)

I can only comment on the experience related to me with respect to team Budget.
They are all putting out more power than me and it is a reasonable sample size ?~15 or more bikes.
Shaun is telling me the wishbone bb worked and they had quite a few problems prior. It is 2nd hand info coming from me.

I like the look of that bb infinite :D though it doesn't have a large contact area either, looking at the bottom of this photo?

Has it been successful in your experience?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:26 pm

Excellent info, thanks gents :D

Time to learn not to fear the wrench on carbon :lol:

Dr_Mutley

2014 R5

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:34 pm

I'm sure the wishbone is pretty much devoid of noise too... My comment really only related the times when the bb was out of spec, or if it wasn't torqued sufficiently....

In terms of contact area, there is a big difference between the 2.... The wishbone appears to contact the shell in the outer 10 to 15mm either side, where the whole alloy sleeve of the BBinfinite contacts the shell. The small lip on the NDS edge of the BBinfinite sleeve is just to act as a stop when pressing it in. It bears no load. Everything lateral to this edge however, bears load across the whole bb shell. U will see the small lip acting as a stop here in the pic of my R5...

I've had largely good experiences with the BBinfinite on my R5. I think I was the only one ever to experience a creak from one (could only happen to me!). It turned out to be the crack in my speedplay protector plate, and also my crank needing one more 0.5mm spacer to compress the wave washer a smidge more... It was just a little more fussy than the BBinfinite on my S5, which has been silent, and maintenance free after many kms...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:39 pm

I think you've sold me thanks DrM :)
The patented, Dr Mutley threaded-rod press ®, is sufficient for the job?
It looks like the bb comes with everything else required.
I have the park tool to get the old one out.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:51 pm

fat and old wrote:Excellent info, thanks gents :D

Time to learn not to fear the wrench on carbon :lol:

Just buy the park tool remover, and some threaded rod, as per thread below, and u won't ever be left disappointed by a bike shop again!

Essential Bottom Bracket tools for Cevelo BBright Frames
viewtopic.php?t=59281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:56 pm

warthog1 wrote:I think you've sold me thanks DrM :)
The patented, Dr Mutley threaded-rod press [emoji768], is sufficient for the job?
The BB comes with poly bushes to press it in/out, plus some retaining compound... It even has instructions, if your one of those who reads before installing something... I should probably do that myself more often [emoji6]

The Bunnings threaded rod bearing press works a treat still [emoji106]

The one difference though on installation, is to have the wave washer 80 to 90% compressed, compared to 50% with other cranks... This compresses an internal alloy bushing between the 2 bearings, and prevents any noise from the crank...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I think you've sold me thanks DrM :)
The patented, Dr Mutley threaded-rod press [emoji768], is sufficient for the job?
The BB comes with poly bushes to press it in/out, plus some retaining compound... It even has instructions, if your one of those who reads before installing something... I should probably do that myself more often [emoji6]

The Bunnings threaded rod bearing press works a treat still [emoji106]

The one difference though on installation, is to have the wave washer 80 to 90% compressed, compared to 50% with other cranks... This compresses an internal alloy bushing between the 2 bearings, and prevents any noise from the crank...
Mate you are an invaluable resource on here for Cervelo press fit bb's. Much appreciated :D

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Anytime [emoji106]
Learnt from all my mistakes [emoji6]

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Press fit bottom brackets are the work of the devil. :evil:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:14 pm

Agree. They create more problems than they solve (if any)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:23 pm

warthog1 wrote:There is a creak down there now. I'm hoping it's my shoes not the crank.
It was the shoes. Rode to work on the commuter yesterday wearing my Garneaus. Creak was there.
I recently cleaned the S5 with furniture polish (iga equivalent of mr sheen) including the pedals. I reckon the cleats got some on them resulting in the creak. I walked around on the carpet at work (incidentally wiping the cleats in the process). The creak was almost gone on the way home.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:57 pm

What pedal system u use?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Shimano spd - sl
Ultegra 6700

captnslow

Postby captnslow » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:58 pm

My '14 on it's 'build day' - now it's got 15000kms on the clock and has been nothing but an absolute delight - all 5.4kgs of it Only improvement to date (other than to the engine) was to throw the Vittoria's and replace them with the delightful Veloflex Arenberg's

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/captnsl ... sort=3&o=2

kb

Postby kb » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Ha! Saw that bike recently. Was going through the Busyman blog :-)