The Old Question- DLHT or VWR ?

Fisher44

Postby Fisher44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:52 pm

I'm out of touch with the latest models of each - years ago the dollar for value was favourable towards the VWR - is that still the case? Resale value seems to favour the Surly that needs to be kept in mind when buying - that I intend to do as soon as I decide which brand and model etc. Any help is appreciated as I am coming back into riding after a 30 year break, cheers
Oh, and I do lean toward disc brakes.

RonK

Re: The Old Question- DLHT or VWR ?

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:26 pm

VWR is the hands down winner for features and value. LHT overrated and overpriced.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

philmart

Postby philmart » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:37 pm

There are plenty of reviews out there on both (good and bad). Best to see if you can test them as really you can only be the judge of what is good value, a good fit for you etc. Both offer their own pros and cons. The latest models of VWR have disc brakes both ends so that should not stop you from picking one over the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fisher44

Postby Fisher44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:22 pm

I live an hour south of Adelaide and neither bike is around here and 2 weeks ago I could find neither in Adelaide either - so either I go interstate to test, which if I have to then ok, but before that I need a bit more knowledge in order to approach the test properly - hence my post, cheers

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:59 pm

Fisher44 wrote:I live an hour south of Adelaide and neither bike is around here and 2 weeks ago I could find neither in Adelaide either - so either I go interstate to test, which if I have to then ok, but before that I need a bit more knowledge in order to approach the test properly - hence my post, cheers
Try contacting the very approachable Noel McFarlane at Vivente directly and asking if he can organise a local test ride.

If true to form you'll experience a level of service you'll never get from whoever the current Surly distributor is this week.

Fisher44

Postby Fisher44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks for that, I already have queried him on a few things, but need more of an overview including in this case, the DLHT - all of the write-ups on the views on these two bikes seem to be 3,4 or more years old and bikes can change a lot in that time - that's why I thought I would ask an old question again. cheers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:40 pm

Yes, and the VWR has changed a good bit too. I just rode with a friend, riding her new VWR. The Gibb... Rohoff equipped and full lighting spec with SP Dynamos hub. Bit more expensive though :|
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Fisher44

Postby Fisher44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:34 pm

The Gibb is what I'm considering - how did you, and she enjoy it?

philmart

Postby philmart » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:43 pm

Have you tried BMCR in Adelaide. I know they do VWR and Surly both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fisher44

Postby Fisher44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Checked BMCR 2 weeks ago and they had no stock of anything tour orientated

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:12 pm

Fisher44 wrote:Thanks for that, I already have queried him on a few things, but need more of an overview including in this case, the DLHT - all of the write-ups on the views on these two bikes seem to be 3,4 or more years old and bikes can change a lot in that time - that's why I thought I would ask an old question again. cheers
Looking at the spec, apart from the addition of the disc brake option, the LHT has hardly changed from the one I bought back in 2009. Microshift bar-ends, Sora front derailleur and tyres are different but that's about all.

The Vivente site lists the model specs and the changes back to 2012.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:16 pm

Fisher44 wrote:The Gibb is what I'm considering - how did you, and she enjoy it?
I did not take it for a ride. She loves it, much happier with it than her previous Surly which she sold as it did not suit her. Both bikes were Rohloff-equipped.

I ride a Rohloff Thorn Nomad.
Mandatory helmet law?

Fisher44

Postby Fisher44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:21 pm

One thing I rate highly is service, and I think Noel from VWR will win hands down in that arena - still I need to ride a few bikes and see what suits,as you can't ride service - but it does mean a lot, cheers

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:30 pm

I would agree with RonK that the VWR is probably a better purchase spec wise over the LHT...in my opinion the VWR looks drab and the LHT has been superseded by many other choices now...

The VWR is probably the best fully specced bike price wise...

Fisher44

Postby Fisher44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks for that , my only concern about the VWR and the LHT is that there are plenty of references in posts that unladen, these bikes are dead, unresponsive and a chore to get going but once on the move, they do stay there - so, I don't plan to carry anything nor to tour - I just want a bike with comfort that if I want to I can happily ride all day - maybe I'm better off with something like a Vaya - that from all reports is comfy but a bit livelier ?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Fisher44 wrote:Thanks for that , my only concern about the VWR and the LHT is that there are plenty of references in posts that unladen, these bikes are dead, unresponsive and a chore to get going but once on the move, they do stay there
I have heard people making the same comments about the Thorn Nomad, and it certainly is no lightweight - my bike tops the scales at ~18kgs. It ain't no racer.

But you know what? It is the most comfortable bike that I ride, and I have found it certainly at least as nippy as my old Giant Sedona '93 rigid MTB that I had used for touring for 17 years. When I'm on tours with friends (some often on lighter bkes than mine) I do not find that I'm lagging at all, usually the reverse. Comfortable, fast, stable handling.... what more do I want. I'd expect the VWR will be similar and it is a lighter bike than mine. Several friends of mine use it for commuting and shorter distance touring, and they love it.
Mandatory helmet law?

Fisher44

Postby Fisher44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Ok, sounds reasonable and good - I shall set about finding a shop with one in stock if I can -Noel from VWR is overseas ay present apparently, returning soon, and I will take various concerns up with him personally - having had no real help from some recent sales staff that I have approached - cheers, and thanks to all who replied to my post.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 pm

Fisher44 wrote:...there are plenty of references in posts that unladen, these bikes are dead, unresponsive and a chore to get going.,,
Yep, the LHT was a slug, uninspiring such that I had no interest in riding it except on tour.

And that is why I replaced it with a bike that I can enjoy riding anytime.

thamete

Postby thamete » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:49 pm

I purchased the 2013 STI drop bar VWR last year, and I certainly don't find it dead and unresponsive, and it is quite easy to get going. However, I have always ridden steel bikes with panniers for commuting and transport as well as touring and I am a bit of a Clydesdale so the weight of the bike is not that big a deal. However, I would imagine that someone who was used to riding a light weight road bike would notice a big difference, personally I find the VWR a delight to ride.

Have you emailed Noel?

Last year when I was considering purchasing the VWR, Noel was very helpful with both arranging the purchase through my local bike shop and answering a number of questions about sizing and other issues. At the time he was testing the 2014 models in Azerbaijan.

Fisher44

Postby Fisher44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Yes, I have been in contact with Noel - will see him when he returns

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:08 pm

Fisher44 wrote:Thanks for that , my only concern about the VWR and the LHT is that there are plenty of references in posts that unladen, these bikes are dead, unresponsive and a chore to get going but once on the move, they do stay there
I own a 2012 drop bar VWR and, amongst other bikes, a near top of the range carbon fibre, Giant TCR Advanced SL.
The Giant could be described as lively, responsive and fast to accelerate.
The VWR is an entirely different riding experience. It doesn't feel fast nor accelerate as easily as the Giant but it is an absolute pleasure to ride laden or not. It is very, very comfortable , quiet and smooth. A more upright a riding position, wider, lower pressure tyres and steel frame minimise road vibration and consequent carpal tunnel wrist problems, lower back pain and muscle/bodily fatigue. Up to 12 hours on the VWR has a similar effect on my body as maybe 3 hours on the carbon bike; aching all over. Three hours on the VWR leaves me relatively fresh and pain free.
In comparative terms of speed, distance and effort the unloaded VWR cruises at only about two or three kilometers per hour slower than the Giant. Big deal, to some, but not me.
I do like riding fast with a group but I sometimes wonder if it's worth the pain.
I can vouch for Noel's genuine desire to help (and sell bikes) and his authenticity.

Fisher44

Postby Fisher44 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks for that Tim - for a well balanced write up - cheers

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:06 am

I guess you are in Sydney? City Bike Depot should have a Vaya on the floor.
Also talk to Gary at http://www.waywardbicycle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think you need to work out what sort of riding you will be doing before hand. Very few people really need a full blown touring bike. Will you honestly be lugging lots of stuff in front and rear panniers for multi week trips? Maybe a bike with frame bags will suit you better? Thinking about suitable geometry more than the bits you hang off your bike is the key to better long day riding. I have seen Noel cut thru peak hour CBD traffic on his VWR like butter, but this is the rider not the bike. Even cheap modern hubs, cranks, brakes and gears are now so good you don’t need to think big $$ to get more reliability than you will ever break out on the road, ok it may wear out slightly quicker than the stuff from 25 years ago, but if you get the right frame, you can kit it out/ use it as it comes with cheaper stuff, wear this out then upgrade if you really need to.
For info do you know what frame size are you looking at?

Fisher44

Postby Fisher44 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:48 am

Thanks baabaa, I won't be doing any touring or carrying any significant load - just want a comfortable bike over a variety of surfaces. My local area has bike tracks/ walking trails that extend some 60klms one way along cliff tops etc following the ocean, I find my current KM not real comfortable but am about to fit Super Moto 2.35's that will roll better and a Jones H Loop bar that has just arrived, so will see what it's like after this - Oh, I'm based on the very south coast 60klms south of Adelaide, cheers

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:09 pm

KM as in Karate Monkey?
The jones bars should help but if not why not just try some drop bars... some good links/examples here...
http://jeffsbike.blogspot.com.au/2012/0 ... arate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have a 2007 Salsa El Mariachi set up with woodchippers, it has geo a bit like the KM and it works well for that type of ride.