single-sided clipless
25%
double-sided clipless
47%

Total votes: 36
alexf

Re: Good pedals for touring

Postby alexf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks everyone, I settled on the MKS touring pedals with clips (and possibly power grips) for the wife, and the shimano M324 for myself, after hearing about the badness of the A530s. I used to have pedals like the M324, which got horribly scratched and kept giving me the most awful scrapes on my calves.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Over a year ago now, at Ronks recommendation,I bought the Shimano M785 Trail and have been very happy with them.
I'll be retiring the Moulton soon for refurbishment and am currently undecided whether to shift its M785 Trail double sided clip ins to my Surly Ogre, or
to invest in their single sided sister the M780's (just for more choice).
Alexf, good luck with your self and wifes new pedals :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:03 pm

I find clipless the best when there's quite a bit of climbing, allows you to pull through the back of your stroke...but I also like the flats when I just want to wear my hiking boots so I can stop/start and investigate little side trails...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Wingnut wrote:I find clipless the best when there's quite a bit of climbing, allows you to pull through the back of your stroke...but I also like the flats when I just want to wear my hiking boots so I can stop/start and investigate little side trails...
I decided to try enjoying the best of both worlds so have ordered some Shimano Trail XT PD-T780 pedals
after enjoying a year of the dual sided clip in PD-T785's

http://reviews.this link is broken/product ... edals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got a good deal from bike24 that I'm awaiting (as per usual with ze German pedestrian postage) :roll:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun May 19, 2013 2:56 am

This is the Shimano Trail XT PD-T780 showing the clip in side (the other side is flat)

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun May 19, 2013 3:06 pm

I use these...a bit more bite, just have to watch the shins... :wink:

Espresso_

Good pedals for touring

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:07 pm

After years of riding on Shimano A530 pedals, I recently switched over to Time Atac. I've not done any 100km+ days in them just yet, but plenty of long enough days to know that I'm probably going to stick with the Atac system.

These are the rare XX model, which I think are just the XS in a weird camo colour scheme. I got them from a guy on Gumtree for very little money so no complaining.

The main benefit is the amount of play or float in the pedals, all the while still giving you that solid clipped in feeling. For me, I was concerned about knee issues and this system seems to give me much more freedom. While I don't get any minor knee pain after long rides anymore, only time will tell whether it prevents major issues in the long run.

I don't find clipping in or out significantly different to SPD - aside from being quieter. The brass cleats are softer and grind the floor less than my SPD cleats used to, too.

I found the A530 flat side almost useless, mostly because I didn't really ever cycle in sneakers and the flat surface had next to no grip anyway. As a temporary place to stomp on when starting out on an incline etc I found them terrible, especially when wet. Having said that, I didn't find that one sided pedals were all that problematic and many of the Shimano suggestions on this thread look like fine choices.

E

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:01 pm

il padrone wrote:You're telling me I don't clip into my Times quicker than other road riders?? How do you know this :?
Apparently so...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:11 pm

il padrone wrote:unlike the SPDs which get looser and looser as the cleat wears (and potentially a worn cleat could get to the point of not releasing :(
Ahem, that could explain some problems I'm having. Same cleats for eight years :oops:

Meanwhile, the hardcore tourers seem to like flat pedals with powergrips (see Cheeky Monkey) I had a set but "loaned" them before I could try them so I'm still all SPD

If you like flat pedals companies like Velo Orange make them
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ