Carrying a MU-43 Camera

Aushiker

Carrying a MU-43 Camera

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:55 pm

I am looking at options with regards to carrying my new to me Olympus OM-D EM-1 micro four thirds camera and lenses (probably two) when touring. My thinking is along the lines of a camera bag insert for my Ortlieb Ultimate 5 handlebar bag but they do look like they take all the room, plus getting an genuine one seems to be difficult.

I am curious as to what others use and/or if anyone has found a good reasonably priced insert that fits the medium Ortlieb Ultimate 5 handlebar bag.

Thanks
Andrew

chillimagnum

Re: Carrying a MU-43 Camera

Postby chillimagnum » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:20 am

Possibly DIY like this person?
My answer to this was to re-purpose a set of replacement foam for Pelican cases. The foam comes pre-separated, making it easy to divide into compartments just by tearing out blocks.
http://www.thatbluebike.com/2013/12/ort ... 5-bag-mod/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:25 pm

chillimagnum wrote:Possibly DIY like this person?
My answer to this was to re-purpose a set of replacement foam for Pelican cases. The foam comes pre-separated, making it easy to divide into compartments just by tearing out blocks.
http://www.thatbluebike.com/2013/12/ort ... 5-bag-mod/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the suggestion.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:30 am

The Ortlieb camera insert doesn't work ??

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:41 pm

il padrone wrote:The Ortlieb camera insert doesn't work ??
As I said I was looking for other options to see if there was something that didn't take up all the room in the bag. That said as I was placing an order on Bike24 I ordered the Ortlieb one in the end as I couldn't find anything else suitable.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Perhaps get some frame bags to offset the space taken by the camera in the handlebar bag. Use frame bags for storage of items that are kept in the handlebar bag typically
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:52 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Perhaps get some frame bags to offset the space taken by the camera in the handlebar bag. Use frame bags for storage of items that are kept in the handlebar bag typically
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT so could easily swap it over to the Surly when off touring.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:58 pm

I placed an order on Bike24 over the weekend which included an Ortlieb Camera Insert for the Ultimate Handlbe bar bag. Just received an email from Bike24.

Unfortunately, due to the manufacturer it is no longer allowed to send Ortlieb products outside of the EU, so we removed "Ortlieb Camera Insert for Ultimate - grey" from your order. Thank you for your understanding.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Ah, noooo! That is a very disturbing bit of 'restraint of trade' :(

Damn Gerry Harvey.

A good thing my Ortliebs look lke lasting a lifetime, but I might want to upgrade to the Sportpacker Plus one day.
Mandatory helmet law?

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Unfortunately, due to the manufacturer it is no longer allowed to send Ortlieb products outside of the EU, so we removed "Ortlieb Camera Insert for Ultimate - grey" from your order. Thank you for your understanding.

Andrew
I reported the same a couple of months ago.

I ended up going with Probike, but regretted it when I needed to return my defective panniers. In the end I bought at my local bike shop, but Pushy's were also competitive.

E

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:43 pm

Espresso_ wrote:I ended up going with Probike, but regretted it when I needed to return my defective panniers. In the end I bought at my local bike shop, but Pushy's were also competitive.
Pushy don't have what I want and I doubt ProBikeKit will either (I also prefer to avoid them for the reason you have given).

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:02 pm

The Touring Store could be pretty useful here. He has a wide range of Ortlieb and all sorts of other quality touring kit, he is a small operator with big customer service, and unlike most US sellers, his shipping is reasonable.

Camera bag insert is item #6 here.

Alternatively get it from SJS Cycles.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:22 pm

il padrone wrote:The Touring Store could be pretty useful here. He has a wide range of Ortlieb and all sorts of other quality touring kit, he is a small operator with big customer service, and unlike most US sellers, his shipping is reasonable.

Camera bag insert is item #6 here.

Alternatively get it from SJS Cycles.
SJS Cycles is at least $20 dearer than alternatives out of the UK so will have to pass on them. The Touring Store could be an option if shipping is reasonable.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:SJS Cycles is at least $20 dearer than alternatives out of the UK so will have to pass on them.
Which shops are those? My google-fu doesn't give very many sellers at all, and really a very few in the UK. Bogong have it here in Aus for $40.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:14 am

il padrone wrote:
Aushiker wrote:SJS Cycles is at least $20 dearer than alternatives out of the UK so will have to pass on them.
Which shops are those? My google-fu doesn't give very many sellers at all, and really a very few in the UK. Bogong have it here in Aus for $40.
Google at its best. I didn't get Bogong in my searches but got these two UK shops:

JE James Cycles (AT) ~$43 delivered and Cycle Sports UK at about $41 delivered.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Well if there is mail forwarding services in the US, I'm sure theres probably one in Germany. :idea: :D

I don't currently have time to search but surely google is your friend.......? :wink: :D

Andrew let me know if you'd like to borrow an insert for your tour.
I can likely find mine to "lend" you for a few weeks if you give me some notice. :idea:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:48 pm

rifraf wrote:Well if there is mail forwarding services in the US, I'm sure theres probably one in Germany. :idea: :D

I don't currently have time to search but surely google is your friend.......? :wink: :D

I can likely find mine to "lend" you for a few weeks if you give me some notice. :idea:
Please don't make it very short notice as it will take some finding and a can full of motivation on my part :lol:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:56 pm

rifraf wrote:
rifraf wrote:Well if there is mail forwarding services in the US, I'm sure theres probably one in Germany. :idea: :D

Please don't make it very short notice as it will take some finding and a can full of motivation on my part :lol:
Sorry I missed this completely. I have got a bag for the camera and I was thinking I might try and see if this will work. If it does not I will probably call on you by Monday :) Thanks heaps for the offer.

Andrew

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:06 am

Aushiker wrote:I placed an order on Bike24 over the weekend which included an Ortlieb Camera Insert for the Ultimate Handlbe bar bag. Just received an email from Bike24.

Andrew
Damn their hides!! That's grim news indeed. Just when I'm about to buy a single or pair of panniers for commuting duties.

Let's see if the local prices go back up to the "hey days" price of $395 for Bike Packer Plus's.

chillimagnum

Postby chillimagnum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:23 am

German made plastic is expensive. Aussie online stores seem to have a few discounts going on various Ortlieb products.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:08 am

rifraf wrote:Andrew let me know if you'd like to borrow an insert for your tour.
Thanks for your kind offer but I have decided to get a shoulder camera bag which has a removable insert, with the insert being the right size for the handlber bar bag so I think I will be right and hopefully ticked off two birds with one stone.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:Andrew let me know if you'd like to borrow an insert for your tour.
Thanks for your kind offer but I have decided to get a shoulder camera bag which has a removable insert, with the insert being the right size for the handlber bar bag so I think I will be right and hopefully ticked off two birds with one stone.

Andrew
Your welcome.
I hope your shoulder bag works out well for you.

Cheers
Aidan :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:20 pm

rifraf wrote:I hope your shoulder bag works out well for you.
So do I. It is #2 :)

Andrew