Sleeping mats

Aushiker

Re: Sleeping mats

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:52 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Andrew if your after a layer of protection I think you would be beter of with the real deal plus your able to use for other situations. I have one and personally I think it holds up to not only insulation but puncture proofing your mattress.
I am currently using Aortha EVA Very Low Density 3 mm foam but really would like something far more compact and lighter hence the interest in the shade.

Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:14 am

Aushiker wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Andrew if your after a layer of protection I think you would be beter of with the real deal plus your able to use for other situations. I have one and personally I think it holds up to not only insulation but puncture proofing your mattress.
I am currently using Aortha EVA Very Low Density 3 mm foam but really would like something far more compact and lighter hence the interest in the shade.

Andrew
Ok I have just never seen sunshades to be robust and then to use them for camping I would have thought fast failure but then even in the most outback stores I have seen sunshades so a non issue I guess.

Ricky

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:32 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
How "heavy" is your 3mm foam mat ??

When touring in the outback we used some standard closed-cell foam mats. Cost a pittance and weighed 2/5 of bugger-all, but when we did camp on thorn-riddled ground they kept the thorns from perforating our tent floors. They were about 7mm thick as well.

Strapped on top of the rear pannier

However the best option was to camp on the open sand, that was free of thorns.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:13 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Ok I have just never seen sunshades to be robust and then to use them for camping I would have thought fast failure but then even in the most outback stores I have seen sunshades so a non issue I guess.
I can only try it ... it may still be too bulky anyway.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:16 pm

il padrone wrote:How "heavy" is your 3mm foam mat ??
It is not so much about weight as compactness. There is no way in a 100 years will I be using a foam mat for this purpose because of its bulk; the every reason I went with the Aortha EVA Very Low Density 3 mm in the first place was to get away from the over the top bulky foam pad. The Aortha works, but I would like to get down to an even smaller package if I can and still keep the prickles at bay.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Wingnut wrote:I love Exped gear but the previous issues with their sleeping mats has scared me off those particular items...
I held the same opinion for a long time.
I heard so many comments extolling the virtues of their comfort, I decided to give one a whirl.
Ive spent aprox 6/7 weeks touring/sleeping on mine and so far can't fault it.
No leaks so far and I awake with the same pressure mattress I've retired with so with the caveat that its a roll of the dice (I too have read of plenty of leaking issues), I give the Exped Synmat 7 UL a thumbs up for comfort (and with a question mark over longevity)
I'm a tightwad from way back, but I'd be prepared to buy one annually for the comfort alone. :D

I mostly attribute the lack of leaks to using a groundsheet under my tent at all times after doing my best to clear the site of anything that may perforate the tents floor.

It was advice I received here from numerous posters including WarrenH
WarrenH wrote:
rifraf wrote: ... do you use anything in the way of a footprint under your tent?
Rif, G'day.

I use a Thermal Insulated Groundsheet, 1.26m X 2.0m. They weight 346g. They foot-print the tent tubs fairly well. A good size for the Olympus style tent but a tad narrow for the Timberloft Lite. They're distributed here by Primus Companion Brands and can be ordered through Camping World. The Primus part number is BL1150. They're about $40.

I like them because they're an insulated ground sheet and a space blanket for emergencies. I've just bought my third one in 30 years, just a couple of weeks ago. The second has been promoted to bike maintenance, after 15 years of sturdy use and the new one, I just took out of the packet. They've got a weave between the red and silver layers, that makes them tougher than Kiwi wiminz.

Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:28 pm

I've had my Synmat 7 since Spring 2010. It is the only matt that I have used that allows me to sleep as good a night as in bed at home (the use of a pillow is a big part of this too). It has not given any cause for concern. I am always careful about placing my tent clear of any sharps, and I generally never use the matt outside of the tent. Also I let the air out a little if leaving the tent up during the day.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:03 pm

Bikepacker Magazine take a look at the Nemo Equipment AstroAir Lite and Tango Solo Down Comforter bikepacking sleep system.

Andrew

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Wed May 06, 2015 9:33 pm

I didn't read the whole thread but very surprised that a search didn't find Thermarest NeoAir. There are several options in them and they were well regarded when they came out. Main pluses, ultra light weight, pack ultra small, comfy and warm. Not self inflating so thicker which is always a comfort plus. I have a Prolite 4 that I bought on special before the Neos came out. I find it quite comfortable provided the ground is not too lumpy. If the Neos were around then and I had the money, I would have bought one.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-r ... te/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, there are probably other equally good options now.

Ken

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 06, 2015 10:56 pm

kenwstr wrote:I didn't read the whole thread but very surprised that a search didn't find Thermarest NeoAir. There are several options in them and they were well regarded when they came out. Main pluses, ultra light weight, pack ultra small, comfy and warm. Not self inflating so thicker which is always a comfort plus. I have a Prolite 4 that I bought on special before the Neos came out. I find it quite comfortable provided the ground is not too lumpy. If the Neos were around then and I had the money, I would have bought one.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-r ... te/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, there are probably other equally good options now.

Ken
A recurring criticism of the NeoAir is that they are noisy.

I have a collection of Thermarest pads, but never slept comfortably until I bought an Exped Synmat UL 7 LW.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed May 06, 2015 11:32 pm

And I would slide off that one. Longitudinal air-tubes of the Synmat 7 keep me in place better.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:54 pm

The Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe is available at Massdrop for US$89.99 + $21 postage.

Source: Massdrop

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:56 am

I'm considering joining in the Klymit v-luxe drop. Does anyone know how warranty issues work with massdrop? Although only one account I've read that the Klymit mat can delaminate like my exped one has.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:08 pm

looks the same as on eBay for $ 84 posted or is this the wider one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172266978002 ... EBIDX%3AIT

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Leaf T wrote:I'm considering joining in the Klymit v-luxe drop. Does anyone know how warranty issues work with massdrop? Although only one account I've read that the Klymit mat can delaminate like my exped one has.
For the price of a Klymit mat vs an Exped, why would you worry?

Since I have little faith that my Exped will not also delaminate, I'm considering whether to order the Static V Ultralight and a Klymit Pillow.

The Static V Luxe is way too bulky when packed for me to want to carry.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:46 pm

boyracer wrote:looks the same as on eBay for $ 84 posted or is this the wider one?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172266978002 ... EBIDX%3AIT
Why don't you go check on the Klymit page?

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:48 pm

That's a different mat boyracer.

Ron I prefer the width of the v luxe. My large version synmat 7 was comfy but always felt too narrow for the way I sleep. It's not so comfy now that it has popped one of its seems.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks LT. mass drop always sends me to its homepage when i click on a link. i have the 59 cm version as linked and find it much better than the ultralight 50cm i bought years ago in Germany.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Leaf T wrote:Ron I prefer the width of the v luxe. My large version synmat 7 was comfy but always felt too narrow for the way I sleep.
I have the Synmat 7 LW. It's very comfortable but I actually find it too big. I wouldn't buy another LW mat.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm a restless sleeper. I sleep something like the coma position or face down knee up which usually means it's hanging off the mat.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:44 pm

I can sleep like the dead after some rides.

I just joined the drop. I was initially going to try the non insulated version as it's lighter and packs smaller but figured the insulation was worth it for the size/weight penalty.

edit. What happened? I thought I saw a post before this one. :?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:49 am

RonK wrote:
Leaf T wrote:Ron I prefer the width of the v luxe. My large version synmat 7 was comfy but always felt too narrow for the way I sleep.
I have the Synmat 7 LW. It's very comfortable but I actually find it too big. I wouldn't buy another LW mat.
Good to hear its still working, like mine.

All the chatter about failures and delamination has had me paranoid.

I remember I bought the medium at your suggestion, and can now see why.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:10 am

rifraf wrote:All the chatter about failures and delamination has had me paranoid.
Yeah, me too - I feel like it's going to happen every time I inflate it. That's the only reason I'm thinking about mats.

Of the mats on Massdrop, the Static V Luxe is too big, and the Static V Ultralight is too small. For only a few dollars more (after currency conversion) I can buy the highly-rated Sea To Summit Ultralight mat locally.

So I think I'll pass on this drop.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:55 pm

The Klymit insulated static v-luxe arrived today. I tried it out on a hard dry lawn and so far I love it. It's massive at ~800mm wide yet packs down slightly smaller than my large Exped synmat 7 and is about the same weight.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/klymit-ins ... tic-v-luxe