TailWalker

Re: Will this custom groupset work?

Postby TailWalker » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:34 am

Cheeky bugger.

simonn

Postby simonn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:06 am

Blakeylonger wrote:Sugino 46/30
OX601D ~2000km, unfortunately 1 month out of warranty.

I'd be looking at these instead:
http://www.cyclestoussaint.com/products ... g-crankset" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://store.interlocracing.com/irddewicorod.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.compasscycle.com/cranks_bb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS, I'll have a Shimano CX-70 brazeon front derailleur, ~2000 km of usage, for sale soon if interested.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:50 am

simonn wrote:
Blakeylonger wrote:Sugino 46/30
OX601D ~2000km, unfortunately 1 month out of warranty.

I'd be looking at these instead:
http://www.cyclestoussaint.com/products ... g-crankset" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://store.interlocracing.com/irddewicorod.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.compasscycle.com/cranks_bb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS, I'll have a Shimano CX-70 brazeon front derailleur, ~2000 km of usage, for sale soon if interested.
If it was bought in aus our consumer laws would probably get you a replacement, unless it was something bad toy did yourself.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:59 am

So it's the bearing that cacked it. I wonder if they're made by Sugino. Perhaps you can replace with Shimano or even Hope.

Releng

Postby Releng » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:47 am

RonK wrote: You're ahead with SRAM because unlike Shimano, road shifters are compatible with MTB derailleurs.
Um, I do not think this is correct, I have a LHT smoothly running 105 10s brifters with a front FC5703 crankset, a front 9Speed XT derailleur (FD-M771)
and a rear 9speed LX derailleur (RD T661). All fits together fine and changes beautifully.

simonn

Postby simonn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Leaf T wrote:So it's the bearing that cacked it. I wonder if they're made by Sugino. Perhaps you can replace with Shimano or even Hope.
Nope. That's the axle. It's cactus.

Kind of a long story, but I now have 6800 50/34 11-32 on the way :) (it's an audax bike, not touring).

RonK

Will this custom groupset work?

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Releng wrote:
RonK wrote: You're ahead with SRAM because unlike Shimano, road shifters are compatible with MTB derailleurs.
Um, I do not think this is correct, I have a LHT smoothly running 105 10s brifters with a front FC5703 crankset, a front 9Speed XT derailleur (FD-M771)
and a rear 9speed LX derailleur (RD T661). All fits together fine and changes beautifully.
It's 100% correct. Shimano MTB front derailleurs use a different pull-ratio to road front derailleurs. Road levers will not produce the required travel.
Oh and, I still have a new FD-M771 sitting in my parts bin left over from my attempt at getting it to work.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Releng

Postby Releng » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:06 pm

RonK wrote: It's 100% correct. Shimano MTB front derailleurs use a different pull-ratio to road front derailleurs. Road levers will not produce the required travel.
Oh and, I still have a new FD-M771 sitting in my parts bin left over from my attempt at getting it to work.
Ron, were you trying to fit it with a 9 speed chain and cluster?
It may be that the thinner 10speed chain is enough to allow the smaller throw of the road shifter to enable the derailleur to clear the chain.
A case of two wrongs making a right.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:41 pm

Releng wrote:
RonK wrote: It's 100% correct. Shimano MTB front derailleurs use a different pull-ratio to road front derailleurs. Road levers will not produce the required travel.
Ron, were you trying to fit it with a 9 speed chain and cluster?
It may be that the thinner 10speed chain is enough to allow the smaller throw of the road shifter to enable the derailleur to clear the chain.
A case of two wrongs making a right.
Nope, all 9sp components. You only have to compare a road and MTB derailleur to see the difference in the length of the arms.
By using a road derailleur with my Ultegra STI my front derailleur shifts perfectly and includes all the trim positions.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:21 am

RonK, do you have a reference anywhere for the SRAM LH Road shifter + X7/9 front derailleur? I'm not doubting you, but I have not read it anywhere and I have been interested in doing this for audax and CX for a while.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:30 pm

simonn wrote:RonK, do you have a reference anywhere for the SRAM LH Road shifter + X7/9 front derailleur? I'm not doubting you, but I have not read it anywhere and I have been interested in doing this for audax and CX for a while.
Yeah, I posted a link a few posts back.

On this post.

And if you check the build kit for the Salsa Fargo I'm currently building you will see it uses Apex shifters with X7 and X9 derailleurs as original equipment.

Also are you aware that SRAM offers CX specify groupsets?

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:12 pm

When we launched our road technology from scratch we reapplied our MTB proven SRAM 1:1 actuation ratio (shifter cable travel : derailleur movement) for 10 speed rear shifting. EA helps to simplify/stabilize the uneasy act of balancing rear derailleur hanger design, tight cog spacing and exact cable tension. The result: the easiest index shifting system to set up and it stays that way.
https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/tech ... -actuation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is not shown in the compatibility map as compatible with road shifters.

I know that the Fargo is specified with it, so I am wondering if they are doing some kind of magic, or using a shift mate or something. The only person I know who has a Fargo has retroshifts on it and the front is friction shifting so would work with anything.

More interested in this for audax than CX.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:36 pm

simonn wrote:I know that the Fargo is specified with it, so I am wondering if they are doing some kind of magic, or using a shift mate or something. The only person I know who has a Fargo has retroshifts on it and the front is friction shifting so would work with anything.

More interested in this for audax than CX.
The description of Exact Actuation technology clearly says they adopted the same actuation for their road components as used by their MTB components.

It then lists all the components which use this technology. The list includes road shifters and MTB derailleurs.

Is that not good enough for you?

If you followed this ECR build you would see the Cap'n is using an XO front derailleur with Apex shifters, so you can go ask him if any "magic" is required.

And since Audax is your thing, here's Troy Szczurkowski's setup for the Kiwi Brevet. Troy is the resident bike mechanic at River City Cycles in Brisbane.