Rohloff on a tandem bike

VeloGiro

Rohloff on a tandem bike

Postby VeloGiro » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:45 am

Hi there - Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using a Rohloff on a tandem?

There one going atm on gumtree (a semi folder). We are wanting to buy a folding tandem for an OS trip later in the year so we are looking at this one with interest...but just not sure how a Rohloff would go on a tandem given you need to back off ever so slightly when changing gears - particularly 7 - 8...

I (as captain) would know when to "ease off' and as i am a frequent changer of gears i think it might drive me nuts if i had to say 'change' every time we changed up...I get the sense that derailleurs are better at shifting under load - that said even then on our existing tandem it clunks and protests on occasions when changing under load...its occasional though - just not sure a rohloff would have the occasionL protest when changing??

I have a Rohloff on my Vivente World Randonneur and love it...Jot sure a bout it on a tandem....Thoughts???

il padrone

Re: Rohloff on a tandem bike

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:20 am

I have a Rohloff; I have a tandem. Just don't have the two combined (yet).

I have ridden tandems since 1979, so am fairly familiar with their eccentricities and handling. I have read reports from people riding tandems equipped with the Rohloff. On our tandem we have the cranks 'out-of-phase' ie. the front and rear cranks are at 90 degrees to one another. This is much better for evening out the pedal stroke, and gives more even power to the drivetrain, with an added boost to take-offs on a hill. I have read however that this can make Rohloff shifting difficult; things are better if you have the cranks in-phase.

When shifting on the Rohoff, all shifts demand just an easing of pressure. This normally occurs while pedalling, at the top/bottom of the stroke, and the gear shifts then, even while you pedal through. It is only the 8--->7 shift that requires you to actually stop pedalling momentarily to get the gear. With a tandem using cranks in-phase the gear shifts should proceed much as for a single bike, but the 8--->7 may require co-ordination with the stoker. If you run the cranks out of phase things will require more close co-operation to change gears generally (I believe.... have no actual experience).

Mike Ayling who is on here at times has a Thorn Rohloff tandem - he will be able to give you more insight. One day we will convert our tandem to Rohloff, but we may need to go back to having the cranks in-phase. Looking at photos from a Google search of the Thorn Raven Twin, most people are running the cranks in-phase.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:27 pm

+1 for IP's comments.

Mary can feel through the timing chain when I slack off for a change, its not a big issue.

I also have a Rohloff on a Thorn Mercury which I bought after we got the tandem and I do not do anything differently when changing on the tandem or the single.

We run our cranks in phase, thats the way the bike was delivered from Thorn.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:44 pm

Thanks Mike and IP - Most helpful!

Here is the bike in question http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/killara/ ... 1103814260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finding out a little more about the tandem - Its probably still a little too long to fit into a standard bike box when collapsed and even with the front wheel off its still ~148cm long (which is a tad too long for a bike box)

Its also pretty heavy ~24KG's which may be an issue when considering getting it on to planes, which is the principal reason we are looking at a folding tandem...

Not sure - we would ideally get our hands on a bike friday tandem but they are pretty rare in these parts...

I'll ponder a bit more...

Thanks again!

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:15 am

VeloGiro wrote:Thanks Mike and IP - Most helpful!

Here is the bike in question http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/killara/ ... 1103814260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finding out a little more about the tandem - Its probably still a little too long to fit into a standard bike box when collapsed and even with the front wheel off its still ~148cm long (which is a tad too long for a bike box)

Its also pretty heavy ~24KG's which may be an issue when considering getting it on to planes, which is the principal reason we are looking at a folding tandem...

Not sure - we would ideally get our hands on a bike friday tandem but they are pretty rare in these parts...

I'll ponder a bit more...

Thanks again!
A new Rohloff alone would cost you most of $1,800. The bike is said to be well used but the Rohloffs have a long life.

Our Thorn touring tandem weighs at least 25kg. Road tandems will be lighter but will have to be fitted with couplings to enable the bike to be broken down for transport and the couplings are not cheap.

Bike Friday has a strong members club in Australia and you could try contacting them to see if any of their members would have a tandem for sale.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:48 pm

Thanks Mike - I did end up contacting the Bike Friday Australian Network and am chasing a few leads - What a great group!

Still contemplating the Rohloff tandem too... :?

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:19 am

Mike Ayling wrote: Bike Friday has a strong members club in Australia and you could try contacting them to see if any of their members would have a tandem for sale.

Mike
Hi again Mike - We are now the proud owners of a pre loved but immaculate Bike Friday Traveler...Thank you so much for the lead! I was regularly looking at ebay and gumtree for a BF tandem - even posted an add on BNA 'want to buy - group buy - swap' forum...your lead provided immediate results so thanks again!!!

Thanks so much for the lead - My wife and I will be joining the Australian Bike Friday members group and we will hopefully joining them in the Barossa in April at their annual gathering!

Cheers