Filtering Water whilst Touring

Aushiker

Filtering Water whilst Touring

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 25, 2016 6:00 pm

There is an interesting discussion going at the moment at Backpacking Light re a lightweight approach to filtering water using a Sawyer's filter. I have one of their filters (not the light one but) which works well. My problem was with their original bladders which apparently have been updated. Anyway what is being discussed is an interesting approach to getting a very light but effective filter system in place.

If you have other filtering approaches do also share them here.

RonK

Re: Filtering Water whilst Touring

Postby RonK » Wed May 25, 2016 10:46 pm

I've had my eye on a 2 litre Platypus Gravity Works system for a while. Just can't understand why a couple of plastic bladders, a hose and a filter is so expensive - particularly at local prices.

It would be cheaper to buy a pump, but it would be heavier and take up more room.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 25, 2016 10:50 pm

The Playtpus system has a 1500 litre cartridge life ... the Sawyer is something like a million gallons I believe. Just not in the same league.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 am

Meh - 1500 litres will see out my touring life.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 26, 2016 8:32 am

RonK wrote:Meh - 1500 litres will see out my touring life.
Maybe so but it is I suspect it is the functionality that makes the difference in life; the Sawyer can be "restored" with back flushing. Sawyer even provide in their kit a syringe for this purpose.

Can the Platypus be back flushed or will its functionality deteriorate fairly quickly, i.e., the flow rate drops off.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu May 26, 2016 11:18 am

Aushiker wrote: Can the Platypus be back flushed or will its functionality deteriorate fairly quickly, i.e., the flow rate drops off.
They say you can back flush it at every use.

I've grabbed the platypus system, not used yet.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:Meh - 1500 litres will see out my touring life.
Maybe so but it is I suspect it is the functionality that makes the difference in life; the Sawyer can be "restored" with back flushing. Sawyer even provide in their kit a syringe for this purpose.

Can the Platypus be back flushed or will its functionality deteriorate fairly quickly, i.e., the flow rate drops off.
Accordingto the website it backflushes in 4 seconds.

Platypus GravityWorks 2.0L

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri May 27, 2016 11:17 pm

I've got a MSR Miniworks and am getting the funds together to buy a Steripen, likely the usb chargeable Ultra.
Yeah i acknowledge the Miniworks is a heavier choice, but its a direct fit for my widemouth Nalgene water bottles and the filter is field serviceable with a green scouring pad. As it simply works, I'll hold out till something "much" superior comes along.

Yes the packability of those above units looks great.
Look forward to reading of your purchase decision and the logic behind it Andrew.

The Sawyer/Platapus units look much more bike packer friendly than the Miniworks.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:27 am

Is this the Sawyer filtration system mentioned in the OP?

I was not aware of this system before I it saw it too late on an already closed Massdrop.

Looks to be better value than the Platypus. There are reasonably priced offers on Amazon including shipping to Oz.

Sawyer 2 Liter Water Filtration System

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:00 pm

RonK wrote:Is this the Sawyer filtration system mentioned in the OP?
The concept is the same, but it was not a purchased package from Sawyer, i.e., not the one you have shown. The one in the OP uses the filter which is now only available in the Sawyer drinking bottle. It was for awhile sold separately and is popular because it is lighter than the other filters (e.g., the Mini) available from Sawyer.

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:43 pm

rifraf wrote:I've got a MSR Miniworks and am getting the funds together to buy a Steripen, likely the usb chargeable Ultra.
Yeah i acknowledge the Miniworks is a heavier choice, but its a direct fit for my widemouth Nalgene water bottles and the filter is field serviceable with a green scouring pad. As it simply works, I'll hold out till something "much" superior comes along.

Yes the packability of those above units looks great.
Look forward to reading of your purchase decision and the logic behind it Andrew.

The Sawyer/Platapus units look much more bike packer friendly than the Miniworks.
I have had a miniworks for many years now. Integration and it just works (granted it is not really small or light).

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:03 pm

avolve wrote:I have had a miniworks for many years now. Integration and it just works (granted it is not really small or light).
Not small or light? And you have to pump it by hand?

In the context of this discussion, that is a fail. :) :) :)

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:59 am

Just got me one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... em_1p_1_ti
Didn't pay US$119 though. About US$79.... All ready for our West Coast Canada/US trip next month.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:46 am

RonK wrote:Is this the Sawyer filtration system mentioned in the OP?

I was not aware of this system before I it saw it too late on an already closed Massdrop.

Looks to be better value than the Platypus. There are reasonably priced offers on Amazon including shipping to Oz.

Sawyer 2 Liter Water Filtration System

I'll be doing much more camping my backroads tour of NZ this year than on previous tours, so I've now ordered one of these.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Just wanted to report back on the MSR system. Been using it in action in Canada and the USA. Excellent product. I like how the hose is quick disconnect. Carry the bag down to the stream. Fill with a cup. Can hold about 5L and still able to roll up the top. Carry back up to your camp-site and hang and attach hose. Can use any water bottle. Comes with an adapter hoojamaflip that fits into most things except for the 100 yen bladders we got in Japan.Has a screw on cover to stop criss contamination. Hasn't needed much flushing. Every now and again I've simply used a bidon and given it a squeeze.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:18 am

Massdrop have a drop on the Sawyer 2L water filtration system. Heading towards a price of US$76.99 + postage. Might be worth considering if the price is good.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:38 am

Aushiker wrote:Image

Massdrop have a drop on the Sawyer 2L water filtration system. Heading towards a price of US$76.99 + postage. Might be worth considering if the price is good.
It is quite reasonable. If it reaches the lower price it'll be around $US20 cheaper than the best offer available when I ordered. And a looooong way cheaper than the Platypus Gravityworks.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:00 pm

I don't reckon 2l is big enough, unless you are willing to carry an extra bladder for more dirty water, or don't mind doing multiple trips to the water source. You need clean water for more than just drinking, eg food prep, washing up as well, because you don't want cross contamination from your dishes.
Between 2 people we'd use around 7L, inclining filling water bottles for the next days ride.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Trevtassie wrote:I don't reckon 2l is big enough, unless you are willing to carry an extra bladder for more dirty water, or don't mind doing multiple trips to the water source.
The 2 litre Sawyer system has two bladders and allows you to carry 4 litres of water - two litres filtered, two litres unfiltered. This is the same capacity as your MSR system. But with its open top I don't think you could carry any water in the MSR bag.

However the Massdrop offer includes option of the 4 litre system, which will allow you to carry 8 litres of water.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:11 pm

The roll top on the MSR works great, I reckon you'd burst it before it leaked. It takes about 5L with the top rolled up securely. If you are just carrying it up from a water source it'll hold about 6L or maybe a touch more if you don't mind it dribbling a bit. I just used 1.5L plastic bottles for storage. The filter and bag was either hanging from a tree or whatever was handy or was packed away in a pannier.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:38 pm

One for the Steripen devotees. Massdrop have a SteriPen Pure+ Water Purifier as as drop. It seems popularly so maybe the pricing is good for the old boys in the US. Anyway downunder it is looking at $91 which seems pretty scary to me.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:05 pm

Aushiker wrote:One for the Steripen devotees. Massdrop have a SteriPen Pure+ Water Purifier as as drop. It seems popularly so maybe the pricing is good for the old boys in the US. Anyway downunder it is looking at $91 which seems pretty scary to me.
I thought I'd take a chance. It works out at $68 (with a significant chunk of that being postage).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Cycleops70 wrote:I thought I'd take a chance. It works out at $68 (with a significant chunk of that being postage).
That is US $ but.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:16 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Cycleops70 wrote:I thought I'd take a chance. It works out at $68 (with a significant chunk of that being postage).
That is US $ but.
And you still need a filter anyway.

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:45 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
That is US $ but.
And you still need a filter anyway.
That was AUD

I have a filter. Just thought I'd give it a go.