A Salsa Fargo for me...

RonK

Re: A Salsa Fargo for me...

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:24 am

Hmmmm - heavy aren't they?

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:35 am

Although only 42mm, the Soma Cazaderos bag out quite nicely on the Flow EX rims. But I've decided against a ghetto tubeless fitment, and have bought a set of the new Vittoria Mezcals for a tubeless setup to take on tour.

Stan's rim decals are a bit garish - I'm in two minds whether to keep them or peel them off...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:49 pm

Bugger! Just discovered my crown race installer won't fit. I need a 1.5 inch crown race installer for the Cane Creek 40 headset.

The Cane Creek crown race is a delicate looking thing with an attatched rubber seal, so I dare not attempt a bodge for fear of damaging it.

Ah well, what is another week or so wait while an installer ships from Jenson USA.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Won't that cost you a bomb in postage for such a small item?

I like the tyres. Are they just a rebadged Panaracer?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:42 pm

Sent by post it's not outrageous but does make a relatively cheap tool a relatively expensive tool. No choice really.

Soma reckons the Cazadero is their own tread design, but say it's inspired by the Panaracer Fire CX.

The centre rail apparently is the main difference. Should roll nicely I think.

Guitar Ted reckons it's more like the Bruce Gordon Rock N Road, but I thought the Rock N Road rather too chunky.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:56 am

Hi Ron,

I have used Panaracer Fire Xc on my dually which have worked really well so I hope your Soma ones do likewise.

I need a bit of advice please. I have never had to put a headset/crown race on a fork before. I bought a Hope EC44/40 and adapter as I couldn't get a EC44/30. Below are some pictures. I gather I need to get that steel adaptor to sit on the lower (slightly wider) part of the fork? Rather than bash it on - are there any issues with heating it in the oven to say 200°C and trying? Otherwise it's off to the LBS?

Thanks

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:48 pm

uad782 wrote:Hi Ron,

I have used Panaracer Fire Xc on my dually which have worked really well so I hope your Soma ones do likewise.

I need a bit of advice please. I have never had to put a headset/crown race on a fork before. I bought a Hope EC44/40 and adapter as I couldn't get a EC44/30. Below are some pictures. I gather I need to get that steel adaptor to sit on the lower (slightly wider) part of the fork? Rather than bash it on - are there any issues with heating it in the oven to say 200°C and trying? Otherwise it's off to the LBS?

Thanks

I manage with a piece of plastic irrigation pipe that sheaths over the fork tube. I have even got by with a piece of thick rubbery plastic and a mallet once when I was caught out and in desperate need of improvisation
Go!Run!GAH!

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:20 pm

Yeah - if you had one you would tap that on using a crown race installer, which is really no more than a piece of tube. Heating the adapter should work and can do no harm.

Seems an odd choice of headset though - the steerer is not tapered so why not just get a Cane Creek, FSA or Hope ZS44?

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks

The fork steerer is 1'1/8 while the frame is for 1.5". I tried to get an ec44/30 but not many companies seem to make them these days. Seems it is much easier to get ec 44/40 and use converter. That is the reason why.

I went for an ec over a zs as that is what comes specced on the completed bike. I thought there may be a problem if I didn't.

I guess the bike has been made for people who want a tapered steerer

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:44 pm

Hmmmm - I found ZS44/28.6 EC44/30 headsets on eBay, Amazon and various US stores easily enough.
Last edited by RonK on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:53 pm

The Salsa 12x142 alternator swing plates and Maxle installed with a TRP Spyre caliper adapter and lower rack mount kit.

The lower rack mount kit is an assortment of bolts and spacers to fit various Salsa frame types, i.e. steel, titanium or alloy. For the steel Fargo frame two 12mm spacers with 32mm and 40mm bolts and stainless steel washers are used. This yields a 180mm dropout spacing which is exactly the right width for Tubus Classic racks. Vega Classic Dimension Drawing.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:36 pm

Yes I did too. The ebay sellers looked dodgy when you see their ratings. I was going to buy direct from Cane Creek but they wanted $60 for postage for an item that would cost $50! I also tried a couple of other shops with similar results. Anyhow the headset I have gets the same result.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:12 am

RonK wrote:Although only 42mm, the Soma Cazaderos bag out quite nicely on the Flow EX rims. But I've decided against a ghetto tubeless fitment, and have bought a set of the new Vittoria Mezcals for a tubeless setup to take on tour.

Stan's rim decals are a bit garish - I'm in two minds whether to keep them or peel them off...
The Cazaderos will be used only for local rides. I'm going to use the Vittoria Mezcal G+ TNT 29 x 2.1 mounted tubeless for my touring tyre.

The Mezcals have a quite similar tread pattern to the WTB Nano.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:40 pm

I love Salsa Alternators, and I love nice tyres for the job.

Great to see the bits coming together.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:12 pm

Great to see the updates and that the RX100 is getting a good workout.

Keep em coming :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:16 pm

I've been thinking about these for a while...finally bit the bullet and ordered a set of Mudhuggers.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Grasshopper emerges...

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:43 pm

Looks fantastic.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:24 pm

Nice little haul arrived at the Post Office this morning, including my Oveja Negra top tube bags and the third Anything bag I needed.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:45 pm

That is one really nice looking frame Ron is that a custom colour choice or off the shelf picking? Never been found of Salsa's choice of frame colours in the past but that one you have just has it all even down to the nice green logo just oozes wow.

Ricky

avolve

Postby avolve » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:08 pm

RonK wrote:Nice little haul arrived at the Post Office this morning, including my Oveja Negra top tube bags and the third Anything bag I needed.

Assuming you mean the Salsa Anything Bag? Or did you go with an alterative. I am still deciding which bag option to go with, also whether to go with the Al Anything Cage or the Ti King Cag Manything Cage (the Anything Cage appears to provide more lateral support, though not sure how significant this is).

I have a Revelate set-up for everything else (co-branded frame bag for the Pugsley arrived today, after a long wait — pics to come). Alongisde Anything cage/bags, feedbags are the only remaining piece of kit to acquire (plus some futher camping gear upgrades). WIll also likely go down the King Cage USB hose clamp/bottle mount for the third downtube cage mount as the Pugsely does not have one.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:30 pm

Ah no - I meant to say they are Bike Bag Dude's Anything bags. I didn't much like Salsa's bags - they are kinda plasticky.
I'm using the metal Anything cages - once again I don't much like the new plastic type.
And BBD's Anything bag for the metal cage has the strap integrated, so you can't lose it.
Best of all they are slightly larger in diameter so my cooking pot fits better.
The Manything cage doesn't impress - as you have observed they don't offer much lateral support.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:01 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:That is one really nice looking frame Ron is that a custom colour choice or off the shelf picking? Never been found of Salsa's choice of frame colours in the past but that one you have just has it all even down to the nice green logo just oozes wow.
A little hard to really appreciate in my late afternoon pic, but it's coming up well with the all black components. It's not a custom colour - just the standard gun metal grey which was the only colour the 2015 frameset was offered in.

The frame bags are also shades of grey and black and the green offsets it rather nicely - so I'm going to make it stand out even more with bright green bar tape.

When it's all done I'll take it out in the light and get some decent shots to post.

avolve

Postby avolve » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:55 am

RonK wrote:Ah no - I meant to say they are Bike Bag Dude's Anything bags. I didn't much like Salsa's bags - they are kinda plasticky.
I'm using the metal Anything cages - once again I don't much like the new plastic type.
And BBD's Anything bag for the metal cage has the strap integrated, so you can't lose it.
Best of all they are slightly larger in diameter so my cooking pot fits better.
The Manything cage doesn't impress - as you have observed they don't offer much lateral support.
I am considering getting a Manything Cage for the downtube, and alongside Al Anything Cages on the forks (not keen on the plastic), I can compare them a bit. I see lateral support as less important on the downtube?

I currently have a GSI Soloist cookset, which is an inch in diameter larger then the Vargo Titanium Bot. I am interested to see how this will go in an Anything cage on the forks.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:37 am

avolve wrote:I am considering getting a Manything Cage for the downtube...I see lateral support as less important on the downtube?
Depends what you plan to carry there and how securely it can be fastened I think.

I'm planning to carry my tent there, and I wouldn't want it getting chewed up by a chain ring. Probably not a big risk but with a Salsa Anything cage there would be no risk.

King Cage didn't respond to my email (months ago) about availability, but I see the Manything cage is now available to order on the King Cage web site. Price and shipping charge is reasonable too.

The GSI Soloist will be a bit too big for a Salsa Anything cage I think.