Rohloff questions

Leaf T

Rohloff questions

Postby Leaf T » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:37 pm

I was thinking about how long Rohloff shifter cables are supposed to last and whether or not you can get by with replacing the inner cable only. I came across a thread that mentioned Thorn use standard brake and gear cable for outer and inner cables. I'd heard before that a standard gear cable can be used as a replacement inner cable but has anybody here used non Rohloff cables for their Rohloff? Can you replace the inner cable only if it's shifting smoothly? If not then why not? Myself I'll risk it til the hopefully not too bitter end (within reason) but what are your thoughts on this?

RonK

Re: Rohloff questions

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:53 pm

Yes, I have done this. They are ordinary Shimano type inner cables.

It should not be necessary to replace the housing.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:27 am

Any difference in shifting from the original cables? Can you recall how long Rohloff recommend to replace them? I'm curious as to how long they will last before failing. If set up well they should last a very long time as the cable is fully enclosed and there isn't a great deal of force on them.

slaw

Postby slaw » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:52 am

Mine had done over 50,000km when I changed them because I was changing the worn out shifter rubber and worn out Ergon grips. The cables still had plenty of life in them. Not much of a cost for once in 8 years. I think I bought these from ebay seller.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:21 am

Mine had little use but due a change of handlebar setup were are little bit short. Probably would have been ok but were a bit tight on full right lock.

Because I'm particular about such things I replaced them with a couple of Shimano inner cables and 3 metres of housing bought from my lbs.

Most Rohlof cable routings don't have sharp bends and are well protected from water entry so cables should last a long time.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Mine are at 31,000kms. Never had to touch them.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:13 pm

Setting up the Rohloff

Mandatory helmet law?

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:16 pm

A good question and I don't really know. But...with the ever growing and many differing frame sizes to suit touring and commuting such as 700c, 27.5 and 29er normal and 27.5 and 29er plus; then fat bikes not to mention axle widths and clamping action variation and combos, do people even bother with a Rohloff now.
I get they are nice and fancy but, if you had Rohloff shares you want to be a seller, I guess? Seems to me that a frame that takes in a range of uses and then wheel size options and widths such as the wolverine or a fargo with a few wheel sets is a much better buy for your $$ than a single hub than may last a several 000 kilometers. Most modern kit is pretty good and getting better, but fitting a Rohloff to anything but a Germany type trekking bike no longer seems to be that set and forget it once was. Would be keen to know how many Rohloff Viventes are going out.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:57 pm

I would vouch to say more Rolloff's would sell if they were cheaper and a bit lighter..and yes they have a new sizes out and coming for various axle widths...I don't really see your point about 700c, 27.5 and 29er normal and 27.5 and 29er plus having any effect? All can be built with a Rohloff?

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:17 pm

Sorry, I cannot see myself paying that sort of $$ for multiple Rohloff wheelsets. More the point that you can have one frame with several wheelsets for that one bike for the cost of one Rohloff, say a 27.5 running wide rims at about 40 mm ish plus for the hard dirt stuff and then a 29er or even 700c at 30 to 40 mm or so for more on tar riding. I guess that could include pretty good rear hubs and even front dynos like SP. Two wheelset run in combo more or less double the life you get out of your wheels so the economics .... Yes, they offer a product which really could and should go down in price and quality and it would still be well above what most people really need.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:17 pm

All those wheel sizes swapped out on the same frame...Would ya say frame geometry is a consideration?

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:27 pm

Ummm...
I guess so but the one thing that I have been caught out on when going from 30mm road to 3 inch 29er and not adjusting the seat post down. Stand over height changes up, leg length does not = much top tube in groin angst.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:08 am

If we were talking road cycling with carbon deep or shallow rims then going to clincher or tubulars then I could understand your reasoning baabaa but bikepacking I don't think so...

I do understand frames are being built to take various sized wheels...hell I can even fit 650B or 27 inch in my Troll besides 26" but people who use Rohloff's don't seem to be the kind who switch wheels on a whim a great deal.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:36 pm

Rohloff official Boost 148 is possible
https://www.rohloff.de/en/products/spee ... index.html
Rohloff wrote: SPEEDHUB A12-148MM (BOOST) AVAILABLE JANUARY 2017
Rohloff SPEEDHUB A12-142mm vs 148mm BOOST
The new A12 SPEEDHUB axle system introduced by Rohloff at the 2016 Eurobike show enables customers to install a custom adapted SPEEDHUB 500/14 in frames designed for 12mm thru-axle hubs. The 'standard' A12 SPEEDHUB models are designed with a 148mm O.L.D. for 12mm "Boost" frames.

Use of a special 6mm wider driver lock-nut and longer A12 mounting bolt enable 142mm A12 units to fit in the 148mm Boost frame spacing. The rim will need to be laced 3mm offset to the drive side however to remain central within the frame.

Installation of a SPEEDHUB A12 version can however only be guaranteed upon completion of a special dropout measurement process by a local bicycle retailer using our A12 measurement kit (available on loan from our distributors). This additional step is unfortunately critical to ensure we supply the correct custom machined reduction sleeves and spacers (adapters) required for the safe integration of the SPEEDHUB 500/14 into a thru-axle frame.

Technical Details SPEEDHUB 500/14 A12-148mm:
Compatible with 142mm frame spacings (DT/Maxle, Shimano E-Thru & Syntace X12 axle systems)
A12 mounting bolts (M7) used in conjunction with custom machined (for each individual dropout) adapter/reduction sleeves.
A12-OEM2 and A12-PM axleplate options
54mm chainline (52mm beltline)
93mm (center-center) hub shell flange spacing
ATTENTION: Rim must be laced 3mm offset to the drive side!
32 and 36 spoke hole versions
Disc version (DB)
Silver, red or black anodized finish
Not authorized for tandem use!

Conversion of existing 135mm CC or TS SPEEDHUB models to the new A12 axle system is not an available option!

Conversion of a 142mm A12 SPEEDHUB to the new 148mm A12 standard is possible through your local bicycle retailer (A12-dropout measurement test, mounting of 148mm driver lock-nut, supply of A12 reduction sleeves and 148mm A12 mounting bolts).
...but it's a P.I.T.F.A. if you ask me, without even thinking of the Gates aspect, might just go ride this thing instead.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:49 pm

baabaa wrote:Sorry, I cannot see myself paying that sort of $$ for multiple Rohloff wheelsets. More the point that you can have one frame with several wheelsets for that one bike for the cost of one Rohloff, say a 27.5 running wide rims at about 40 mm ish plus for the hard dirt stuff and then a 29er or even 700c at 30 to 40 mm or so for more on tar riding. I guess that could include pretty good rear hubs and even front dynos like SP. Two wheelset run in combo more or less double the life you get out of your wheels so the economics .... Yes, they offer a product which really could and should go down in price and quality and it would still be well above what most people really need.
Sounds like you need the new Kindernay XIV 14 speed hub. But it is going to set you back about $A2380 :o

Mandatory helmet law?