Headlamp [Headlight] - Small and Light. Suggestions?

Aushiker

Headlamp [Headlight] - Small and Light. Suggestions?

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:46 pm

I switched to a Petzl e+LITE on my last bikepacking trip but it really didn't work for me: not really enough light; found the switch frustrating to use and I am not that keen on the thin head-strap or the use of button batteries.

On the positive side, the weight and size ticked key boxes.

I have a short list which currently consists of the following but open to other suggestions:

Black Diamond Ion - [55g] - Odd switching setup

Petzl Zipka [68g] - Negative is the thin strap; positive is the switch.

Petzl Tikka [85g] - Weight limit and the pack-ability will be a bit more limited I suspect with the strap.

rifraf

Re: Headlamp [Headlight] - Small and Light. Suggestions?

Postby rifraf » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:32 pm

RonK uses a single battery model that I believe was lightest in its class when he got it but I can't remember the model.

Not recommended due to its not lightweight, but I'm still happy with my Tikka 2XP which is now on its second battery.
I picked up a couple of spare batteries on Ebay, so still have one in its original packaging waiting for this one I've just recently opened, to wear out.
Very happy with buying a usb rechargeable battery version that I can keep topped up with my dynohub.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:57 pm

That was my old Mammut, but they don't make that one anymore.
It's still in my collection, but I'm using an Ion now.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:13 pm

Led Lenser H7R. It's an excellent little light and can be charged with usb. Does take close to 3 hours to charge but lasts a long time. Can also use non rechargeable batteries if needed.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:16 pm

I am now a touch wary of adding another USB device for a couple of reasons. One it is just another item to juggle in the jungle of devices to be charged and given I am trying to carry less and less weight that becomes a bit of an issue. The other is I am not convinced about battery life compared to say using a device which uses say AAA lithium batteries.

Also on my bikepacking bike I have no dynamo so that comes into play as well.

Adding to all this is simply limited storage space so the smaller the headlamp the better. I prefer to carry it in my cooking pot for example as I know where it is and it is unlikely to be turned on (probably less of an issue with modern lights with lock outs but old habits die hard). Now my cooking pot has shrunk, the headlamp also needs to shrink. The Petzl e-lite ticked the box in this regard for sure.

Anyway Ron's suggestion of the Black Diamond Ion is probably the way I will go, more so given it seems that the 2016 version has dropped the swipe switch.
Last edited by Aushiker on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:19 pm

Leaf T wrote:Led Lenser H7R. It's an excellent little light and can be charged with usb. Does take close to 3 hours to charge but lasts a long time. Can also use non rechargeable batteries if needed.
Way to big for my use and the price is horrendous. Also would fail my pack-ability test and weight test. Thanks for the suggestion but. Maybe someone else may find it suitable for their needs.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:50 pm

Yeah price is out there for what it is especially if you buy local but it's no bigger than other headlamps I've seen in use. Weighs about 100gm plus cable. So you're looking for a light to take on a weekend trip or over nighters? Perhaps candlepower forum is worth a look for diy?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:56 pm

My comment on size was based on the images of the headlamp such as this one which I assume is the one you are referring to. I do notice it is called the H7R.2 so maybe not the same?:

The reported weight is 165 grams.

Compare this with the Black Diamond Ion:

The reported weight is 55g.

Also this is to replace the Petzl e+LITE which is considerably smaller again. Usage is camp usage; not planning to walk or ride with it unless I have to or go spot lighting for wild game :) My tour tend to range from weekends to 60+ nights. I find my headlamps used over a number of years tend to last at least a week on a set of batteries. Carrying a spare set of AAA is doable of course. I also have a default policy of new batteries before departure: probably a bit wasteful but it gives me peace of mind.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:17 pm

That type of lamp (with the battery at the back) is also very uncomfortable to wear lying down - so too bad if you want to read in your (camp) bed.

mlavis

Postby mlavis » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:38 pm

I've used this head torch for the last 4 years of bike touring- Thought I lost it at one point so bought a replacement...subsequently found the original so gifted it to my partner.

http://www.princetontec.com/remix

3AAA batteries, up/down articulation of lamp body, 3 LED cluster for diffuse light (cooking, reading) and a half decent spotlight. Two power levels for both modes. Just the one switch. 85 grams or so. Spot is powerful enough and has got us out of a pinch when we have run out of light before making a destination (20km pothole riddled decent in the north of Laos.)

mark

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:22 pm

Massdrop have the Black Diamond Iota Rechargeable as a drop. Price may likely reach US$29.99 + $13.25 postage. Given the Black Diamond Ion weighs 55 grams versus 56 grams for the Iota this is a serious competitor on weight, but not price.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:21 pm

It's a neat light. Do they quote weight with batteries included? Perhaps the Iota is lighter due to an integral battery. The lithium battery would add to the extra cost of course. Is it common to not be able to direct the beam on these types of headlight? It looks like you can't going by the photos on massdrop.

I bought the excellent little light below as a backup/blinky light for riding. If you really want to cut down on weight(29g) and space maybe consider something like this. Can be charged on the dynamo. Leave it on the bike and when needed in camp you loop it to a headband.....Just tried it on a Halo sweat band and it worked surprisingly well. I'm still sticking with my hefty Led Lensor floodlight but I'm glad to know I've stumbled upon a back up that is already on my bike if needed :D

http://www.this link is broken.au/lifeline-usb-l ... ont-light/

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:59 am

You might want to check out the Fenix HL15 as a competitor to the Black Diamond Iota. http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hl15-led-headlamp/

It gives you more output options and is more water resistant than the Iota. Plus you can choose from lithium, alkaline or ni-mh rechargeable batteries. Lithium AAA's weigh next to nothing and a spare set will take up almost no room.

I use a Fenix HL50 for hiking and camping. It's totally waterproof and made from metal, not plastic. Can take either AA or CR123 batteries. I slightly modified the tail spring to allow battery lockout when you untwist the tail cap a few turns to prevent accidental activation. Great light and would highly recommend it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:16 am

Aushiker wrote:Given the Black Diamond Ion weighs 55 grams versus 56 grams for the Iota this is a serious competitor on weight, but not price.
A 40 hour life (on low) is quite impressive for an integrated lithium battery. With no ongoing battery replacement costs the price is probably justifiable.

And it's lighter too given that you would carry at least one set of spare batteries for the Ion

I like that the charging connection is USB too - that would fit in nicely since I have rationalised all my devices to USB only for touring, to simplify my charging system.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:34 pm

I joined the drop for the Iota. Will see how it works out in due course.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:33 am

The sales pitch ...
Popular with search-and-rescue crews for its rugged design and 250-lumen LED, the Black Diamond Storm is one of the best headlamps you can have when the weather turns. The housing is completely sealed from both dust and water, with a secure latch closure for extra protection while hiking, climbing, biking, skiing, and more. The PowerTap technology allows for quick transitions between the full-strength and dimmed settings, and the two night-vision modes activate without cycling through the white mode—so you won’t have to worry about waking your neighbor. The red LED comes in handy for campers and photographers looking for nearby illumination that won’t affect distant vision, while the green LED has a longer run time and is often used by hunters.
Massdrop have the Black Diamond Storm as drop. Lowest price is US$36.99+$8.50 postage.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:48 pm

I usually only buy Petzl but went for a Black Diamond ReVolt Rechargeable...

I charged it and currently running the batteries down as per instructions to help with the battery memory and the light is still going from 7am till now at 9.45pm...it goes for ages!