Which headlamp and why?

rifraf

Re: Which headlamp and why?

Postby rifraf » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Core battery arrived safely and is on charge as I type.
It would appear all is tickadeboo with the Tikka XP2.
Nothing wrong with using the three AAA batteries but if you have a dynamo hub, might as well utilise it as much as possible to get your moneys worth.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:29 pm

rifraf wrote:Perhaps of interest to other Tikka xp2 owners:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Petzl-Core-R ... 0834515988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the heads-up. I might consider one.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:10 pm

If anyone is in the market, Catch of Day, have Black Diamond Spot headlamps going for $29.95 + postage. Sounds like a good price but I haven't researched it so buyer beware.

Andrew
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:13 pm

I have one of these - excellent headlamp. Very bright spot-light, lower but stil bright dual-LED, red LED, all of them with a graduated switching, and a lock for storage in the bag.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Aushiker wrote:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Petzl-Core-R ... 0834515988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew
I have found it sees me through a few nights reading but quite unimpressed with the charge of the Core battery as I expected a lot longer. :?
Its nowhere near as long as decent aaa batteries. :shock:
No matter as it seems to charge quickly enough from my laptops usb. :roll:
I'm just hoping its not long to charge via my E-werks cach battery usb setup.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:00 pm

Aushiker wrote:If anyone is in the market, Catch of Day, have Black Diamond Spot headlamps going for $29.95 + postage. Sounds like a good price but I haven't researched it so buyer beware.

Andrew
More Blackdiamond Headlight specials at Scoopon
http://shopping.scoopon.com.au/event/37 ... ngo-255033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://shopping.scoopon.com.au/event/37 ... een-255037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Range of colours for the Spot at $29.99

Two it appears for the Storm at $39.99

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:43 am

Now that my Petzel Tikka XP2 has mysteriously gone walkabout along with my old light ... I am sure we have a ghost in this 120 year old house :) it looks like I am back in the market for a new light.

I am tossing up between a Black Diamond Spot at $49.95 or the new Petzl Tikka XP at $69.88 delivered to Australia. I might consider the Revolt at $66.95 but not overly keen on the USB charging, more so given Rifraf's comments with his Petzl Core. Would rather use my own properly charged batteries.

Particularly interested in any experiences with the new Tikka XP.

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:14 am

I can't comment on either of the two lamps above but lots of people on the Bushwalking Forum are quite taken by the Zebra Lights.
I'm considering one of the many models myself. Possibly for night time riding as well as around camp.
Some of the quoted burn time and luminescence figures are for the models compatible with an Eneloop AA rechargeable battery or a Lithium Ion battery.

http://www.zebralight.com/

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:10 pm

I think I will go with a Petzl Tikka RXP.... the reactive lighting looks pretty cool and I can pick up the light for in Australia for a reasonable price of $127.16 (comparable with Wiggle for example) from Wildearth.

Source: SectionHiker

Andrew
Andrew

Warin

Postby Warin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:29 am

Going cheap ?

single 1 watt LED
variable focus lens
3 operation modes - hi, low, flash
powered by 3* AAA batteries

$5
Aldi sale 6/7

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:35 am

rifraf wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
I have found it sees me through a few nights reading but quite unimpressed with the charge of the Core battery as I expected a lot longer. :?
Its nowhere near as long as decent aaa batteries. :shock:
No matter as it seems to charge quickly enough from my laptops usb. :roll:
I'm just hoping its not long to charge via my E-werks cach battery usb setup.
I actually need to retract my above comment. :oops:
The low charge warning light seems to come on after not too many hours of use.
I thought initially this indicated that the light was going to be dimming and running out quite soon.
I was wrong as on my south coast WA tour proved that the light would keep going for a very long time after the red low charge warning light came on.
I forgot the charging cable when I did this tour and although I did little reading really, the light was sustained a fair amount of use and was still going when I finished my tour at Albany some weeks (4 or 5?) later.
With this in mind, I have no hesitation in recommending the Core battery. :)

uad782

Postby uad782 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:45 pm

I guess my two Petzl Zoom (halogen bulbs) are no good anymore so was thinking of updating to the Black Diamond Storm. I plan to use this instead of a bike light as well to save weight and space. I don't plan to do any night riding but this should suffice in an emergency.

Does anyone have any comment on this headlamp. It is on special for $80 at wild earth.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:57 pm

Looks good. We have been talking about these over here. Headlamp [Headlight] - Small and Light. Suggestions?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Definite touring noob here. I checked out this thread because I thought "headlamps meant, you know, the lamp on the front of your bike. Oh well, no discussion of the relative merits of B&M versus Schmidt Edelux!

But now I'm curious. Do you guys actually use these while riding? On roads? b

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:10 pm

Bendo wrote:Definite touring noob here. I checked out this thread because I thought "headlamps meant, you know, the lamp on the front of your bike. Oh well, no discussion of the relative merits of B&M versus Schmidt Edelux!

But now I'm curious. Do you guys actually use these while riding? On roads? b
You could at a pinch use some of the brighter head torches on the road - but that is not what this discussion is about. You need light in camp, and that is what the head torches are for.

There are other threads discussing lighting and charging systems.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks RonK. That's what I'd hoped they were for! Now I know where to come back to when I start camping and neend a headlamp! (Although I call them headtorches because I still think of headlamp as being on a vehicle...)) b

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 am

Massdrop have a drop on the Petzl New e+Lite, Tikka & Zipka Headlamps. You have, if interested a choice of one these headlamps for ~AU$40 delivered.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:19 am

Aushiker wrote:Massdrop have a drop on the Petzl New e+Lite, Tikka & Zipka Headlamps. You have, if interested a choice of one these headlamps for ~AU$40 delivered.
This drop is back again. I haven't checked the Australian price but.
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Massdrop have a drop on the Petzl New e+Lite, Tikka & Zipka Headlamps. You have, if interested a choice of one these headlamps for ~AU$40 delivered.
You thought you were going to grab the Petzl Tikka RXP Andrew.

How did you get on :?:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 08, 2017 9:56 am

rifraf wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
You thought you were going to grab the Petzl Tikka RXP Andrew.

How did you get on :?:
Hi

Sorry I missed this post. I didn't go with a Petzl Tikka RXP in the end. I tried a Petzl E+Lite but that didn't gel with me so I have now ended up with a Black Diamond Iota which I am happy with.
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon May 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Good that you got something your satisfied with Andrew.

I'm still using my Tikka XP2.

I love the usb charging.

I'm onto its second rechargeable "Core" battery.

This second battery does not hold as good a charge as the original one did and requires more topping up but not at a level of frustration.

I have an unopened third "Core" battery which I"m not so sure I'll ever get to utilise due to wear and tear now becoming apparent of the Tikka unit itself.

I picked up a coupe of these on eBay for cheap when I first bought the Tikka unit.

The switch has a rubber cover which as lifted on three sides, undermining any waterproofing the unit once had and I think its only a matter of time before said switch cover completely separates from the unit, rendering it inoperable or at least very difficult to switch on and off.

As it is I have to sometimes re-locate correctly the cover and push the sides into an approximation of its original position to get it where pushing down on the cover gets the light to come on.

I bought some "super-fix" glue of the "one drop holds a tonne" mantra.

I'm hoping this will help extend the service life of my unit which up until now has been very reliable.

I'll try to remember to post at a later date on the success of this experiment and sealing success.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue May 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Just looking at the above posts and it appears an early comment on my Tikka 2XP is circa June 2013.

I use the unit a hell of a lot and hadn't realised so much time had gone by since its initial purchase.

Despite its now apparent wear and tear becoming obvious, I'm throughly impressed with its longevity.

Its not just on tour that I use the unit.

I read a lot at night and don't stop until my eyelids are drooping and theres no way I'm getting out of bed to turn off a wall switched light.

Thus the Petzl unit sees much use during the week and has been recharged many times.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 18, 2017 8:55 am

Massdrop has a drop on the Black Diamond ReVolt headlamp at ~AU$65 delivered.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Massdrop have a drop on the Petzl Actik & Actik Core headlamps. Pricing starts at $55 on your noggin.
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Andrew, perhaps you could let us know just how pedestrian was the shipping to Aus and perhaps WA in particular?

I bought something from bike24 recently and it arrived in Aus in just on a week which was unheard of speed when last I was ordering from them.

It did however sit around in customs (?) or perhaps DHL mail centre for approx a week before being handed to Auspost to deliver.

All up a fortnight which compared to the sometimes month or more in the no so distant past is a huge increase in speed.

Past USA orders have also been very slow so looking forward to hearing of your experiences to see if they too have improved.