Touring Clothing

chillimagnum

Re: Touring Clothing

Postby chillimagnum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:26 am

Tim wrote:Linen is cotton.
I thought linen was from flax plant, and cotton from the cotton plant. I have seen some cotton and linen blend shirts but was referring to "100% pure linen" garments. Point taken on cold and wet weather. I take it linen has the same properties as cotton here?
RonK wrote:Just use ordinary laundry detergent. Merino wouldn't be worth the trouble if you had to use woolwash.
Most merino garments are wool blend anyway, not pure wool.
Thanks RonK though most of mine say "100% merino wool" or "100% wool exclusive of decoration" is that not pure wool?
"Use woolmark approved detergent"

Anyway will just use the standard stuff. Cheers.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:02 am

chillimagnum wrote:
Anyway will just use the standard stuff. Cheers.
An advantage of Woolmix/similar is you don't have to do a rinse stage, Chillimagnum.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:24 am

chillimagnum wrote:I thought linen was from flax plant, and cotton from the cotton plant. I have seen some cotton and linen blend shirts but was referring to "100% pure linen" garments. Point taken on cold and wet weather. I take it linen has the same properties as cotton here?
My mistake Chillimagnum, you are correct. The collective term linen is however also used loosely to describe bed, bathroom, kitchen and table textiles. I must be old fashioned and still refer to the linenpress (cupboard) where we keep clean sheets, pillow cases and towels.
After a bit of Google research it seems it is an excellent fabric in hot weather. Apparently linen is highly absorbent and dries quickly which accounts for it's cooling quality in the heat. It conducts heat very well so may not be the best if conditions turn cold, wet and windy. The following link describes all it's properties;

http://www.fodors.com/community/travel- ... -linen.cfm

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:00 am

chillimagnum wrote:
RonK wrote:Just use ordinary laundry detergent. Merino wouldn't be worth the trouble if you had to use woolwash.
Most merino garments are wool blend anyway, not pure wool.
Thanks RonK though most of mine say "100% merino wool" or "100% wool exclusive of decoration" is that not pure wool?
"Use woolmark approved detergent"
My touring merino clothing is Ground Effect jerseys on the bike and Icebreaker polo shirts off the bike. The jerseys and are washed every couple of days but the shirts infrequently - that's the reason for choosing merino in the first place. Oh, and I have Icebreaker undies as well.

I don't think clothing which requires special washing and care is suitable for touring. You really need lightweight quick-drying stuff that can survive being washed with whatever is at hand.

I don't know what brand you are using, but the Ground Effect merino jerseys "combine a merino inner layer with a fast-drying polyester outer".

However the Icebreaker shirts I use off the bike do seem to be 100% merino (or does that mean all the wool is from merino sheep). However even Icebreaker do not recommend woolwash. They recommend you don't tumble dry either but my shirts have survived the occasional rumble.

FOR ALL ICEBREAKER GARMENTS (EXCEPT BLACK SHEEP KNITWEAR AND PURE PLUS JACKETS)
Wash like colours together (e.g. separate lights and darks)
Wash prints inside out
Close all zippers
Use warm or cool machine wash on a normal cycle (avoid a hot wash, this contributes to shrinkage)
Use regular powder or liquid detergent
Do not use bleach or fabric softener under any circumstances (your Icebreaker couldn’t be any softer)
Wash occasionally with denim (e.g. jeans with the zipper closed) or other coarse fabrics to remove any loose fibres.
Do not iron prints or labels
Line dry garments or lie flat in the shade– do not tumble dry (except socks, see below)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:38 am

chillimagnum wrote:
Tim wrote:Linen is cotton.
I thought linen was from flax plant, and cotton from the cotton plant. I have seen some cotton and linen blend shirts but was referring to "100% pure linen" garments. Point taken on cold and wet weather. I take it linen has the same properties as cotton here?
Yes, that is correct. Name derived from the latin name for the plant 'linum'.
Wikipedia (and we know how good that is) wrote:Linen /ˈlɪnɨn/ is a textile made from the fibers of the flax plant, Linum usitatissimum. Linen is laborious to manufacture, but the fiber is very absorbent and garments made of linen are valued for their exceptional coolness and freshness in hot weather.

However....:
Wikipedia (and we know how good that is) wrote:Textiles in a linen weave texture, even when made of cotton, hemp and other non-flax fibers, are also loosely referred to as "linen". Such fabrics generally also have their own specific names, for example fine cotton yarn in a linen-style weave is called Madapolam.

The collective term "linens" is still often used generically to describe a class of woven and even knitted bed, bath, table and kitchen textiles traditionally made of linen. In the past, "linens" also referred to lightweight undergarments such as shirts, chemises, waistshirts, lingerie (a word also cognate with linen), and detachable shirt collars and cuffs, all of which were historically made almost exclusively out of linen. The inner layer of fine composite cloth garments (as for example jackets) was traditionally made of linen, hence the word lining.[citation needed]
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 pm

For me the main criteria is comfort in what usually turns out to be warmish humid climates. The best thing I stumbled across is a brand called super natural ( a chinese brand that finds its way in to mainstream sports stores). They have a style made of a merino lycra blend . I find even the lightest merino styles you can get from macpac , ground effect et al a bit too stuffy and I've also had a few pure merino garments get feasted on by what I assume are moths . The merino lycra blend is a bit more cooler, seems to more resistant to abrasion and wear, yet it still retains the hygiene and wicking qualities afforded by merino
Go!Run!GAH!

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:15 pm

Two questions:

1) Anyone have any recommendations for merino knicks (shorts or bib shorts)? I was happy with my current Icebreaker GT merino knicks shorts but they've developed a tear between the thigh and the pad and they don't appear to be manufacturing them anymore.

2) Any thoughts on shorts vs bib shorts for touring? I've never owned bib shorts....

E

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:57 am

Espresso_ wrote:Two questions:

1) Anyone have any recommendations for merino knicks (shorts or bib shorts)? I was happy with my current Icebreaker GT merino knicks shorts but they've developed a tear between the thigh and the pad and they don't appear to be manufacturing them anymore.

2) Any thoughts on shorts vs bib shorts for touring? I've never owned bib shorts....

E
But knicks should be washed daily, merino (which is physically not very strong) occasionally.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:14 am

Imho merino knicks are a bad investment.
the hygiene qualities oc merino doesn't come into play since its the non merino knick part thzf accumulates the toxicity.
Go!Run!GAH!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:28 am

Ground Effect do merino-lycra knicks, long tights, and 3/4 length (only fo the women) and also polyester-merino tops. Their knicks contain a much lower proportion of merino (just 14%) so the durability question is probably less of an issue.

I have several poly-merino tops that I have always washed in the machine. I have found that merino is very good in terms of not needing regular washing - it absorbs odours and doesn't pong even after 4-6 days of riding, unlike synthetics. Rob and I both wore the same merino tops for over 6 days straight on the Oodnadatta Track where we had no washing facilities at all.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:36 am

Cheesewheel wrote:the hygiene qualities oc merino doesn't come into play since its the non merino knick part thzf accumulates the toxicity.
Hygiene? Toxicity?

I don't look at my clothing in such terms..... certainly not toxic-wear :shock: Most of any risks of skin rashes or infection comes from the synthetic 'chamois' pad anyhow, not the fabric. The clothing fabric may pong but it shouldn't cause infection. Personally I have never experienced any such problems of chamois-infections despite routinely getting two days wear out of my knicks on tour between washes. On our Oodnadatta Track ride mentioned above, we went seven days between any laundry opportunities, so the two pairs of knicks got worn and re-worn. Any water we carried was for essential things like drinking and cooking. A good bit clammy by Oodnadatta, but we coped.

Bib-shorts? Nup. Never could come at those, despite the claims of exceptional comfort. I don't find my knicks that uncomfortable, but more to the point, they do facilitate easy roadside 'calls of nature'. I just don't know how bib-wearers cope with that one :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:17 pm

il padrone wrote:Bib-shorts? Nup. Never could come at those, despite the claims of exceptional comfort. I don't find my knicks that uncomfortable, but more to the point, they do facilitate easy roadside 'calls of nature'. I just don't know how bib-wearers cope with that one :shock:
Easy...just bend forward, stretch your bib shorts down at the front and go...if you need to sit down, slip off your jersey and just go in your own privacy...not too hard?

Bib shorts offer more support and don't allow for your knicks to move or slip down at the back...personal choice but in general they are a better design.

yugyug

Touring Clothing

Postby yugyug » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:18 pm

While this thread is on the subject of merino knicks, has anyone experience with leather chamois pads? I just ask cos I'm a bit of a retro head and the idea perversely appeals to me, but are they entirely obsolete? I've found one place online that sells them.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:40 pm

I used them for many years but I haven't seen any sold for about 20+ years now. I might have an ancient pair with real chamois in the bottom drawer.

They do work well, but modern synthetic liners are much easier to care for, but I have found one recently that tends to make me rather sweaty down there. Great old memories of riding off on a newly washed and dried chamois - oooh, crisp like cardboard :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:47 pm

:D . Well here's the online shop that have them, as an option for either a traditional or 6-panel style:
http://www.kucharikclothing.com/wool-sh ... p-347.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.kucharikclothing.com/wool-sh ... p-446.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:33 pm

Always been a bib wearer and new to this touring game. I have been considering Baggy MTB shorts with removable insert, so I can take one pair of shorts to wear and an extra insert. That way I can alternate the insert washing / let sun dry to kill bacteria...

Worthwhile idea or better to stick with regular shorts?

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:00 pm

il padrone wrote:Ground Effect do merino-lycra knicks, long tights, and 3/4 length (only fo the women) and also polyester-merino tops. Their knicks contain a much lower proportion of merino (just 14%) so the durability question is probably less of an issue.
I'm keen on the Ground Effects gear but it's a shame they don't do merino knicks in short length for men - just the longer lengths.

I'm considering these Australian made bibs, or their shorts counterparts:

http://www.eleven.cc/shop/premium-cycling-bibs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

E

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Touring wise my preferred wear is Ground Effect Juggernauts matched with Ground Effect Underdogs. As to washing them, daily washing just is not going to happen on my tours. Longest period has been close to fifteen days between washes and I only take two pair with me. Survived that okay and it pretty normal for me to go at least a week between washes. In fact my next tour will be around 13 days and I doubt I will see a washing machine till the end :)

Tops wise I have a Ground Effects Manta Ray and a Ground Effects Rock Lobster and again that is it and they have to last days between washes. For camp/town/bus and/or riding I also have a couple of Icebreaker t-shirts which are light and work well for my use.

The Juggernauts are also good for town and bus wear.

I leave the bibs at home when touring.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:12 pm

I take threes sets of bibs and jerseys, and have never had to wear a set unwashed.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:09 pm

RonK wrote:I take threes sets of bibs and jerseys, and have never had to wear a set unwashed.
The joys of credit card touring :twisted:

Personally I prefer to go on an adventure; adventures don't include washing machines or people :mrgreen:

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Touring Clothing

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:I take threes sets of bibs and jerseys, and have never had to wear a set unwashed.
The joys of credit card touring :twisted:

Personally I prefer to go on an adventure; adventures don't include washing machines or people :mrgreen:

Andrew
Yeah, I met a guy like that once - I had to get upwind just to greet him. And that was in NZ, where there is no excuse. :roll:

You don't need a washing machine (or a credit card) to maintain personal hygiene and cleanliness. All that is required is water, and that is rarely in short supply in the places where I choose to adventure.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:11 pm

RonK wrote:All that is required is water, and that is rarely in short supply in the places where I choose to adventure.
Andrew lives in Perth (driest of all our capitals) and mostly tours the outback. Different setting; still adventure.

RonK wrote:Yeah, I met a guy like that once - I had to get upwind just to greet him
Merino is good..... and mostly re-introduced to the market by NZers.

BTW, Juggernauts are great value for touring. Not any racey gear but those pockets sure are handy. Just reminded me that I usually take these plus one or two pairs of knicks on summer tours.
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Touring Clothing

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:49 pm

il padrone wrote:
RonK wrote:All that is required is water, and that is rarely in short supply in the places where I choose to adventure.
Andrew lives in Perth (driest of all our capitals) and mostly tours the outback. Different setting; still adventure.

RonK wrote:Yeah, I met a guy like that once - I had to get upwind just to greet him
Merino is good..... and mostly re-introduced to the market by NZers.

BTW, Juggernauts are great value for touring. Not any racey gear but those pockets sure are handy. Just reminded me that I usually take these plus one or two pairs of knicks on summer tours.
Yes, I know where Andrew lives. I know where I live too, but it has little to do with where I choose to tour. I grew up in the NT, and I've lived in WA - and find the desert utterly depressing.

I have GE merino jerseys, And also bought juggernaughts and underdogs but find the two waistbands uncomfortable and the pockets chafe. I'll be sticking to Assos bibs.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:35 pm

il padrone wrote:Andrew lives in Perth (driest of all our capitals) and mostly tours the outback. Different setting; still adventure.
Off topic, but that doesn't sound right to me.

BOM says the average annual rainfall for Perth is 867.5mm (compared to Melbourne at 648.7mm and Adelaide at 546.1mm). Haven't checked them all.

E

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Aushiker wrote:Touring wise my preferred wear is Ground Effect Juggernauts matched with Ground Effect Underdogs. As to washing them, daily washing just is not going to happen on my tours. Longest period has been close to fifteen days between washes and I only take two pair with me. Survived that okay and it pretty normal for me to go at least a week between washes. In fact my next tour will be around 13 days and I doubt I will see a washing machine till the end :)

The Juggernauts are also good for town and bus wear.

I leave the bibs at home when touring.

Andrew
I've no idea why Ground Effects doesn't do merino knicks shorts. Their gear is really good. As it stands, I have to go elsewhere.

Will think about the juggernauts next time I'm looking for shorts, though.

E