Touring Clothing

il padrone

Re: Touring Clothing

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:07 pm

Espresso_ wrote:BOM says the average annual rainfall for Perth is 867.5mm (compared to Melbourne at 648.7mm and Adelaide at 546.1mm). Haven't checked them all.
OK, how right you are. I may have been thinking of driest in summer. Whatever, once you go over the Darling Ranges or north a bit it sure gets dry quick.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:18 pm

il padrone wrote:
Espresso_ wrote:BOM says the average annual rainfall for Perth is 867.5mm (compared to Melbourne at 648.7mm and Adelaide at 546.1mm). Haven't checked them all.
OK, how right you are. I may have been thinking of driest in summer. Whatever, once you go over the Darling Ranges or north a bit it sure gets dry quick.
Yep. Even where there is water, e.g., the Murchison River for example it is salty as heck.

I will be riding from Esperance to Albany in December but avoiding the highway as much as possible and I will have access to water in Hopetoun, Quaalup Homestead and Bremer Bay. That is it for the 12 to 14 days. There is the Fitzgerald River but it is not drinkable (salty). I guess could do a clothes wash there. GJ Coop had a few issues getting water in the area as well and this is a coastal strip too.

I appreciate one can wash in a 1/2 litre or less water but I am not going to waste my precious water washing clothes and I am not really interested in riding town to town. Even on the Munda Biddi with rain tanks only selfish people with a lack of understanding or consideration of others would use the water to wash clothes. That water needs to be preserved as drinking during the dry periods and we have lots of those.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Espresso_ wrote:BOM says the average annual rainfall for Perth is 867.5mm (compared to Melbourne at 648.7mm and Adelaide at 546.1mm). Haven't checked them all
That is mean rainfall data to 1992. I would be surprised if that is reflective of what has occurred in recent years. Notice also from the graph we get a lot of rain or did in May to August period and then it really drops off for the rest of the year. Also as Pete said, it does not reflect the reality outside of Perth where a lot of the touring takes place. WA is a big place ... it gets dry pretty quickly once you leave town even heading south and as I commented often that water in the few rivers is undrinkable due to salt.

Andrew
Andrew

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:24 am

Aushiker wrote:I appreciate one can wash in a 1/2 litre or less water but I am not going to waste my precious water washing clothes and I am not really interested in riding town to town. Even on the Munda Biddi with rain tanks only selfish people with a lack of understanding or consideration of others would use the water to wash clothes. That water needs to be preserved as drinking during the dry periods and we have lots of those.
Andrew
In the book "Sand is a Four Letter Word" Griseilda (sp?) Sprigg says water is too precious to do the washing up in .. that is dish washing. So she used sand. The book is about the first 4WD crossing of the Simpson Desert.. I got to read it on an inter library loan. Good read.

Preservation of water is a factor of both experience and attitude. I was amazed to learn London's water supply would last 2 weeks if no rain fell ...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Aushiker wrote:WA is a big place
Perth still gets more rain than Melb - just in three months rather than year-long-drizzle.

Certain parts of the south coast are rain forest - (to quote an old curmugeon "it rains 300 days of the year and drips from the trees the other sixtyfive"

But once you move off the coast standing, drinkable water is not easily found in the wheatbelt and pretty much missing for the rest of the state until you hit the Kimberly. Much of the state only gets rain when a tropical low/cyclone wanders off the beaten path. And whatever rain fails rapidly disappears into the sand.

We budget eight litres a day minimum drinking water for much of the state in summer. That's sixty kilos of water a week. And you want two or three days spare in case of mechanical issues if you're on your own.

Back on topic. Ran for an hour in my ground effect merino mix top - no stink. Yesterday's lycra is just about walking itself.

ps some mates (who can go two dozen days or more between changes of clothes) report that merino doesn't tend to fill up with crap (dead skin, oil etc) the way synthetics do. YMMV
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Wingnut

Touring Clothing

Postby Wingnut » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:38 pm

I loved touring WA...desert meets the ocean, can't wait to return...magnificent!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:38 pm

Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:58 pm

My bad those pics are in SA...loved WA too though...

pabart

Re: Touring Clothing - bamboo

Postby pabart » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Has any one tried bamboo tops / t-shirts for riding? :?:

Aushiker

Re: Touring Clothing - bamboo

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:19 am

pabart wrote:Has any one tried bamboo tops / t-shirts for riding? :?:
Not used them for riding but have a shirt which I have used for pack-carrying walks (equivalent of touring) it has not be a stand-out for me; definitely not something I seek out to purchase and definitely not something I would purchase over a Icebreaker t-shirt.

Andrew
Andrew

Petrus

Postby Petrus » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:49 pm

I bought a pair of Shimano cycling long trousers for about 30 quid from Cycling Express. They are brown so don't mark easily, light, breath well but are wind and shower proof and cut for easy pedaling. I wore them through winter in Canberra, with long knicks when it was really cold in the morning (ie minus 3ish) but they are also comfortable up to about the mid twenties. For touring you could use them as your apres-velo wear or to put over your short knicks for cycling in the cool morning or when the weather turns cold. Highly recommended.

octagonalman

Postby octagonalman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:08 am

Petrus wrote:I bought a pair of Shimano cycling long trousers for about 30 quid from Cycling Express. They are brown so don't mark easily, light, breath well but are wind and shower proof and cut for easy pedaling. I wore them through winter in Canberra, with long knicks when it was really cold in the morning (ie minus 3ish) but they are also comfortable up to about the mid twenties. For touring you could use them as your apres-velo wear or to put over your short knicks for cycling in the cool morning or when the weather turns cold. Highly recommended.
Do you have a link? I couldn't find any on Cycling Express using the search term trousers or pants. I bought overtrousers from Decathlon last time I was in the UK but they don't breath at all but at least have an extra flap for the front of the shoe.

Warin

Postby Warin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:04 am

I've a pair of these .. http://www.jensonusa.com/!PS0EnPOasWB5y ... ain-Shorts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are shorts .. they do go over my cycling shoes, light, a brown colour. Not much extra warmth, more for modest cultures?
Possibly some 3/4 length things would be good too for cooler weather.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:51 pm

I'll be grabbing some long sleeve cotton shirts for my next summer tour likely from an Op shop.
I seem to get sun scalded otherwise by virtue of not enough sunscreen with T-shirt combo.
I've found my long sleeve polyprop tops too sweat inducing and dehydrating.
My Merino T's are similar though wick well and are more comfortable overall.
It seems for the summer months at least there appears to be a good argument for long sleeve and collared cotton shirts which to my mind have no weight nor bulk penalty compared to my autumn/winter touring gear mentioned above and quickly dry in either heat or breeze.
I'm currently contemplating some roomy baggy bike shorts like something along the lines of Macpacs: http://www.macpac.com.au/mens/trousers- ... 48540.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Small town Australia appears definitely not keen on riders in lycra shorts.
Not 100% sure yet as with regards pannier packing bulk/weight, theres a lot to be said for strong cotton shorts (worn) and 5 pairs of clean underwear (packed).
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:02 pm

rifraf wrote:Not 100% sure yet as with regards pannier packing bulk/weight, theres a lot to be said for strong cotton shorts (worn) and 5 pairs of clean underwear (packed).
It's all about the seams ('bout the seams, 'bout the seams :-) ). Where they are and how they're constructed.

I had some good shorts and undies which one could ride for hours in - with an appropriate saddle! Worn them all out since :-(
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

alfine8

Postby alfine8 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:25 am

Thoglette wrote:
rifraf wrote:Not 100% sure yet as with regards pannier packing bulk/weight, theres a lot to be said for strong cotton shorts (worn) and 5 pairs of clean underwear (packed).
It's all about the seams ('bout the seams, 'bout the seams :-) ). Where they are and how they're constructed.

I had some good shorts and undies which one could ride for hours in - with an appropriate saddle! Worn them all out since :-(
Hi Rif Raf,
I just use strong cheap shorts and cheap poly boxer underwear, for 4 to 8 hours touring a day.

It's true about the seams mentioned above. Thats the important thing.

Petrus

Postby Petrus » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:26 am

octagonalman wrote:
Petrus wrote:I bought a pair of Shimano cycling long trousers for about 30 quid from Cycling Express. They are brown so don't mark easily, light, breath well but are wind and shower proof and cut for easy pedaling. I wore them through winter in Canberra, with long knicks when it was really cold in the morning (ie minus 3ish) but they are also comfortable up to about the mid twenties. For touring you could use them as your apres-velo wear or to put over your short knicks for cycling in the cool morning or when the weather turns cold. Highly recommended.
Do you have a link? I couldn't find any on Cycling Express using the search term trousers or pants. I bought overtrousers from Decathlon last time I was in the UK but they don't breath at all but at least have an extra flap for the front of the shoe.
Seems Cycling Express doesn't carry them at the moment - pity I need another pair. After Christmas I'll search elsewhere. Note that they are not overtrosuers per se - you normally wear them like any pair of trousers. It's just in the depths of Canberra winter I use them over another layer.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi everyone

Any suggestions on some light travel pants. I wear bibs when cycling so they are for when the cycling is done.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:56 am

uad782 wrote:Hi everyone

Any suggestions on some light travel pants. I wear bibs when cycling so they are for when the cycling is done.
I find https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ a good starting point. I like that you can sort on weight. My current pair of long pants for touring/bikepacking is a pair of Rab Longitude Pants which weigh 224 grams.
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:07 am

I have Macpac trekking pants, but the model is no longer made.

Time for a visit to the hiking stores. There is plenty to choose from.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:03 am

RonK wrote:I have Macpac trekking pants, but the model is no longer made.

Time for a visit to the hiking stores. There is plenty to choose from.
hehe - it just occurred to me that there probably aren't a lot of hiking stores out Malabugilmah way. :lol:

Something like this perhaps. Trekker Pants V2 Mens

Team with a no-smell merino polo. Lydon Merino 120 Polo Mens

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Those trousers look alright Ron if a little pricey. Glad to see they are not those execrable zip style convertible into shorts type trousers. :roll:

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Hehe - no, I can't stand convertibles either.

Yeah, they aren't cheap, but you do get years of wear out of Macpac stuff. I think I got mine at a closeout price but still around $80 as I recall.

Your post reminds me that I should get cracking on a new bikepacking gear list.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks everyone,

No hiking stores near me unfortunately. I will troll the web. I too don't like convertibles.

Btw Ron I would love to see your bikepacking gear list.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:47 pm

No problem. I made a start updating it this afternoon. I'll share a copy with you when finished.