What's in your "kitchen"?

WarrenH

Re: What's in your "kitchen"?

Postby WarrenH » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:43 am

I see no reason to put down the taking of quality camera gear on a ride ... just to save a bit of weight. It is good to have at least two kit lenses on board. One doesn't just want the landscape to make them look good photographically? ... otherwise leave the camera at home and by pretty postcards.

The quality of the photography of the vast majority of images, shown on cycling sites in particular, is absolutely abysmal. We all can ride ... and the ride will happen.

If you are going to places that you might not return to, making the most of it, should be a priority.

How sharp are your lenses ... and can you hold a camera steady ... we can all ride.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:37 pm

And here I was thinking this thread was about your 'kitchen'.

So what can you cook on your camera? Use your lens to start the fire?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:55 pm

FXST01 wrote:And here I was thinking this thread was about your 'kitchen'.

So what can you cook on your camera? Use your lens to start the fire?
I think this has already been asked and answered.
Were usually pretty relaxed about letting topics naturally stretch here in "Touring".
Sorry if that doesn't rock your boat
Enjoy a wander around the section and prepare to be enthralled by WarrenH's photographic contributions.
Many of the threads would be a lot poorer without them (IMHO).
To add something constructive to your question I'll add that theres some particularly interesting kitchen pics of huge benefit to many of us here eg. WarrenH's broken down MSR water filter thread where owners can learn what bits detach and how they interact with other parts of the device.
Last edited by rifraf on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:58 pm

RonK wrote:Bugger! I just increased the size of my stove collection again - with a Kovea Spider.

Only fifty bucks...

Looks good and the price is good too

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:15 am

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:Bugger! I just increased the size of my stove collection again - with a Kovea Spider.

Only fifty bucks...
Looks good and the price is good too
It arrived yesterday. First surprise was the size of the parcel when I picked it up from the PO. Even the packaging is small. When folded it 's the size of my palm, and I can fit it and a small gas canister in my squat titanium pot, or with a medium gas canister in a taller pot. It is actually more packable than my Pocket Rocket in its little triangular box. And it is beatifully made from quality materials. It's likely to quickly become a favorite I think. And only 50 bucks...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:37 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote: It arrived yesterday. First surprise was the size of the parcel when I picked it up from the PO. Even the packaging is small. When folded it 's the size of my palm, and I can fit it and a small gas canister in my squat titanium pot, or with a medium gas canister in a taller pot. It is actually more packable than my Pocket Rocket in its little triangular box. And it is beatifully made from quality materials. It's likely to quickly become a favorite I think. And only 50 bucks...
Bargain and tiny package to boot - Win :!:

My Primus Omnilite arrived the same day. :)
I can see the 300ml bottle getting swapped out for a one liter one. :|
This is so that I dont have to also carry a part filled white-spirits or kero bottle as well as the stove and fuel pressure bottle. :idea:
Of course for short tours of a few days I expect 300ml of fuel to be ample but for 1 week plus outings I'll want to take a liter. :!:
Being on the wagon with regards the turps, my hot tea/coffee partaking has increased tenfold. :roll:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:55 pm

RonK wrote: It arrived yesterday. First surprise was the size of the parcel when I picked it up from the PO. Even the packaging is small. When folded it 's the size of my palm, and I can fit it and a small gas canister in my squat titanium pot, or with a medium gas canister in a taller pot. It is actually more packable than my Pocket Rocket in its little triangular box. And it is beatifully made from quality materials. It's likely to quickly become a favorite I think. And only 50 bucks...
Did you source it from Ebay?
How long did the shipping take to get to you?
Spotted a small clip on U-tube which gives some good views for anyone wanting to get an idea of size etc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dF_gt9rvco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Easy to find good reviews about for it too RonK.
Looks like your on to a winner there.
It certainly looks to be one of the more stable stoves out there. :)

RonK

Re: What's in your

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:13 pm

rifraf wrote:Did you source it from Ebay?
How long did the shipping take to get to you?
Yes, I bought on eBay from a seller in Hong Kong. It took a month to arrive, but that was pretty much as I expected coming from China, and I'm not the impatient type (unlike certain others :lol:).
I'll post a few shots when I get a chance.

Well, I was going to post some pictures, but really, Hikin' Jim's Kovea Spider review covers it all...thanks Jim.

Last edited by RonK on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:05 pm

I rather like that Optimus Vega. Seems very well-designed with great performance. Nice wide and low potstand with built-in collapsible canister inverter at the gas outlet.

[edit] Just checking prices and I was keen to buy it at the MEC price of $94 with fre shipping. But it is not sold outside Canada, and no-one else seems to sell it to Australia. Paddy's seems to confirm it is also not able to be imported to Australia - some issues with government approval :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

What's in your "kitchen"?

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:17 am

il padrone wrote:I rather like that Optimus Vega. Seems very well-designed with great performance. Nice wide and low potstand with built-in collapsible canister inverter at the gas outlet.
I liked the Vega too - but not enough to buy one. However the Kovea Spider at $50 with pretty much the same attributes and lighter and more compact was just too tempting to pass.
My Pocket Rocket is now destined to join the MSR fuel stoves already in our gear museum.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:41 pm

http://www.moontrail.com/optimus-vega.php
Damn and I've got the stella+ and it seems that is no longer available on moontrail and that is the replacement.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:45 pm

Have you tried the Spider yet RonK? And what are your impressions of it so far? I'm thinking of getting one myself...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Wingnut wrote:Have you tried the Spider yet RonK? And what are your impressions of it so far? I'm thinking of getting one myself...
Yes, I have used it several times, and have officially awarded it favourite stove status. I really have not found a single negative about it.

rifraf

Kovea Spider

Postby rifraf » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:22 pm

It certainly gives the visual impression of being one of the superior balanced cooking stove tops on offer.
One thing I really wasnt impressed about with the often lauded Pocketrocket was its stability issues.
I ended up getting a MSR canister stand for mine to try to improve things:
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... 81;mid=567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:44 pm

WarrenH wrote:The quality of the photography of the vast majority of images, shown on cycling sites in particular, is absolutely abysmal.
That may be true Wassa, but somehow I doubt the quality of the camera or lenses used is the limiting factor. I think I take much better pictures since I stopped farting around with the distraction of camera and lens settings and started paying more attention to scene selection and composition.

snafuspyramid

Postby snafuspyramid » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:50 am

Those stoves look complicated. Complicated = bad?

On the other hand, my Trangia weighs a ton, relatively speaking, especially since I take the kettle.

Another few small additions to my 'kitchen' after another mini-tour: a small stiff brush for dishes, fingernails and clothing (24g) and a mini scouring pad (8g). I got rid of the Chux cloth, it stays greasy and wet. The brush dries very quickly.

I also found that the silicone pad I use to make the frypan properly non-stick - for scrambled eggs, pancakes and so on - works great as a chopping board when placed on the bottom of the upturned pan. The surface stops food skidding about but isn't much damaged by knives, and I have heaps of it anyway.

Finally, I bought a bunch of little Decor containers from the supermarket and have stocked these with spices and stock powder. I also found little containers designed for taking salad dressing in lunchboxes; despite being pop-top squirt bottles, they don't leak at all. I use these for salt, pepper and oil.

petie

Postby petie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Ron,
Which pots are you referring to here? Keen to have an all in one setup, and looking for tried and tested setups (but not a trangia!! :lol: )

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:51 pm

petie wrote:
RonK wrote: It arrived yesterday. First surprise was the size of the parcel when I picked it up from the PO. Even the packaging is small. When folded it 's the size of my palm, and I can fit it and a small gas canister in my squat titanium pot, or with a medium gas canister in a taller pot. It is actually more packable than my Pocket Rocket in its little triangular box. And it is beautifully made from quality materials. It's likely to quickly become a favorite I think. And only 50 bucks...
Ron,
Which pots are you referring to here? Keen to have an all in one setup, and looking for tried and tested setups (but not a trangia!! :lol: )

Petie - be warned, titanium pots are not cheap.

The squat pot I'm referring to is this one from Evernew. Andrew (Aushiker) reviewed it recently.

It will fit this size canister and the Spider.

The tall pot is from Snowpeak, but Evernew has one that is virtually identical. You might like it because the lid can be used as a frying pan.

It will fit this size canister and the Spider.

In my experience I can get around 5 days out the the larger sized canister using it 4 times per day to make oats, tea, soup and heat a meal.

I have pretty much decided that I prefer the squat pot. It is a little more stable on the trivet, but most importantly it is just the right depth and diameter to fit snugly into the rounded corner of an Ortlieb Front Roller Plus.

petie

Postby petie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:54 pm

Interesting to read Andrews review of the Ti pot, the heat distribution was going to be my next question. What are your experiences Ron, compared to aluminum? I have only used aluminum, which I still managed to burn things with...!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:09 am

petie wrote:Interesting to read Andrews review of the Ti pot, the heat distribution was going to be my next question. What are your experiences Ron, compared to aluminum? I have only used aluminum, which I still managed to burn things with...!
Ti pots can develop hot spots and for that reason most think they are only good for reheating. That's fine with me, as it's what I mostly want to do.

But the beauty of the gas stove over all others is that the flame control is very precise.

That Andrew can make oats ok indicates a problem with his custard cooking method. But who doesn't have trouble making custard. Someone has posted a comment with a custard cooking tip.

I have successfully scrambled eggs in mine - something I've always considered the ultimate test.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:27 am

Isn't cooking in aluminum pots a big no no?

iacl

Postby iacl » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:54 pm

As long as they are in good nick, they should be fine. Mind you I always default to my duossal pots. Bomb proof.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by iacl on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Wingnut wrote:Isn't cooking in aluminum pots a big no no?
An urban myth based on a single, flawed research paper.
There is no health risk associated with cooking in aluminium.
The body absorbs aluminium in much higher levels from anti-perspirants/deodorants than from aluminium pots and pans.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Check out Snopes.

Even the aluminium from anti-perspirant is in no way conclusively linked with Alzheimers as any sort of cause.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:42 pm

There seems to be as much argument about the risks of using cookware with non-stick coatings as there is about aluminium.

Never heard of any such dangers from using titanium cookware.