What's in your "kitchen"?

petie

Re: What's in your "kitchen"?

Postby petie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:04 am

So I have finally got my first lightweight kitchen together, looking for some tips regarding wind shielding.
Does this look reasonable to the seasoned stove gurus? Took a while to boil with a less optimal setup than that, am i missing something? My cup is slightly smaller than the legs, so I imagine some heat is being lost upwards.

RonK

What's in your "kitchen"?

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:17 pm

You are always going to loose heat if the pot is too small, even with a windshield. What is the point of using a cup anyway? Oh yes, I know it's trendy on some of the hiking forums, but Ti pots are hardly much heavier or bulkier for that matter. The squat Evernew pot I mentioned earlier works perfectly. I don't carry a windshield at all.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Light weight, yeah well.
I've been walking, kayaking and more recently bike touring with combinations of this lot for a fair while now.
The SnowPeak aluminium billies are quite new but the stove, an Optimus Svea 123 has been in existence since the late '70's.
Prior to my aluminium pot concession to lighter weight I used to lug around 1 or 2 steel billies.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:14 pm

One of those army can openers that weighs about 5grams and doubles as a spoon. A plastic back up spoon. Thats it.

7gram kitchen on wheels. ;)
Vegan since 2001.

petie

Postby petie » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:17 pm

durianrider wrote:One of those army can openers that weighs about 5grams and doubles as a spoon. A plastic back up spoon. Thats it.

7gram kitchen on wheels. ;)
The acronym you are looking for:
F.R.E.D.

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Haha, beat me to it.

......... Ridiculous Eating Device.

matthewo_brien

Postby matthewo_brien » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi all

Thanks to lots of inspiration from this thread, I ended up with a Kovea Spider and a MSR ceramic two pot system. Very pleased with it so far, but nothing properly serious done with it yet.

I've put a few photos, a review and some burn/boil statistics as well as gas usage rates on my blog:

Boil and bubble – stove and pot choice: MSR ceramic 2 pot set and Kovea Spider stove – Bikepacking with a family
https://bikepackingwithafamily.wordpres ... der-stove/

Thanks again for all the ideas and feedback on this thread :)

Regards

Matthew

matthewo_brien

Postby matthewo_brien » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi all

My Flatcat universal windshield has arrived - pricey but nice addition to the travel kitchen.

I'm supposed to be in the first test ride this weekend to shakedown all the gear - but I'm nursing a broken arm and rib instead - I didn't land the jump on the pump track!

Playing with the new gear is a small consolation :)

Boil and bubble 2: adding a Flatcat gear universal windshield – Bikepacking with a family
https://bikepackingwithafamily.wordpres ... indshield/

Regards

Matthew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Commiserations Mathew, hope your injuries heal quickly and you get to do your field test.

That certainly is a very tidy windshield. flatcatgear has some interesting offerings.

Others may be interested to look here.

[urlhttp://www.flatcatgear.com/]flat cat gear[/url]
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:40 pm

Bummer Matthew with the injuries. Hope you heal quickly. Thanks for the review of the windshield. Nice bit of kit.
Andrew

matthewo_brien

Postby matthewo_brien » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:46 am

So after the enforced break because of the break (!!) I’m slowly getting back to fitness and getting the last few things we need for the setup.

Care of the Mountain Designs 40% off sale we now have Sea to Summit sporks and plates - initial thoughts are they look good but the test will be feeding the kids!

Article on my blog:

Of plates and sporks - Sea to summit style: first impressions https://bikepackingwithafamily.wordpres ... pressions/

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:18 pm

For a long time I used a home-made side-burning soda-can stove over an aluminium pot which I picked up for about $2 at a charity shop. I recently made a lucky score for a used Trangia 27 series cook set. It just needed a new strap, a few dents knocked out and a thorough scrubbing with dish soap and scotchbrite. The cook-set with a SIGG fuel bottle cost me a princely $25 off Gumtree, and $8 for a new strap. The set didn't come with the kettle, but I am sorely tempted to purchase one, as I do like my tea and coffee when I am out camping.

My kit:
- Trangia 27 series cook set.
- Wooden Spoon
- Small stainless steel tongs
- A purple plastic frisbee which I use as a cutting board or a plate
- Australian Army KFS set (though I lost the spoon)
- Asian Soup Spoon (the type you use at Vietnamese Restaurants)
- Lighter/Matches
- Cleaning Cloths
- One Scotchbrite Scourer/Sponge cut in half
- A couple of Chux towels for other cleaning
- Small Green Tea-towel.
- 1L SIGG Fuel Bottle for Methylated Spirits.

Then the food itself largely depends on where I am going, the season, how far/long. Since acquiring the trangia, I have discovered that one small onion, one large potato, one carrot, some meat and a little gravy powder makes up a very nice helping of stew for one person. I use an insulated bag, buy the meat on the way to campsite and usually buy a small bag of frozen peas or corn to keep the meat cool.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty