Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

RonK

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Perhaps, but its not bikepacking.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm

I've recently came across this bikepacking bag maker in New Zealand. His prices are very reasonable I think. I like the look of the mountain panniers.

Stealth Bike Bags

Email for a shipping quote to Oz.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi Ron

I gather you need some sort of rack with these. I liked how I used my old Ortlieb front panniers on the rear in NZ, they didn’t fall off once. I note that Ortlieb are now selling something similar to this guy which are also smaller than the front rollers.

If you put these on would you get rid of your seat bag or is it for more capacity?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 pm

I'm really comparing these with Revelate micro panniers or Bedrock Hermosa panniers which are significantly more expensive.
Yes you need a rack. I already have one, a Tubus Vega. I would consider using these instead of a seat bag for longer tours, for a little more capacity and better load distribution, They don't offer much more capacity but I could carry my tent on the rack which would make the front loading much tidier.
I have a full set of Ortlieb panniers but I'm going to sell them as a package with my touring bike.

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:25 pm

I am considering a PDW Bindle rack https://ridepdw.com/collections/cargo/p ... indle-rack for my terrapin dry bag. From what I have read, these minimise sway quite well. I'll see how the Woho stabiliser goes on my next ride (can't recommend it as a bottle mount).

I also have an issue with tire clearance, with the terrapin enclosure hitting the rear wheel on large bumps. The rack should prevent this (the Terrapin is recommended for fit with the rack)...

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 pm

avolve wrote:I am considering a PDW Bindle rack https://ridepdw.com/collections/cargo/p ... indle-rack for my terrapin dry bag. From what I have read, these minimise sway quite well. I'll see how the Woho stabiliser goes on my next ride (can't recommend it as a bottle mount).

I also have an issue with tire clearance, with the terrapin enclosure hitting the rear wheel on large bumps. The rack should prevent this (the Terrapin is recommended for fit with the rack)...
Metal contact points where the rack meets the bag tend to be abrasive enough (given enough time) to wear a hole in a bag made of non reinforced material (and even some bags that are). I get around it by wrapping the bag in my tent footprint (I used plastic coated shade cloth sort of stuff from the hardware store) .... admittedly the footprint doesn't win any nano awards in the bikepacking dept. but it certainly saves on the grief of wrecking the bags.
Go!Run!GAH!

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:00 pm

I have seen reports on the FB groups about both Bindle and WoHo racks failing.

To prevent sway the Bedrock Railwing is very effective.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Kinda regretting that I have have Revelate stuff now that this gear is out.
https://www.cactusoutdoor.co.nz/bikepacking.html
Am a big Cactus fan, barely a week goes by when I will not wear a set of pants, shorts, belt or canvas vest made by this lot. The gear is so well-made. Will delay my next set of clothes order and pretty sure that the top-tube and handlebar bag holder will be included.
Why is it that NZ keeps cracking this stuff out and yet here in oz we struggle to support the smart small companies who could make high quality, well made items. Wilderness equipment and summit gear both made great bike stuff like this.

Warin

Postby Warin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 am

baabaa wrote:Wilderness equipment and summit gear both made great bike stuff like this.
Summit still exist ... just not the market volume I think .. I think they have a backpack for bicycle couriers type duty.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:31 am

There are many choices of bikepacking bags available now, to suit any budget. I still look for quality first, which is why I like Bedrock Bags.

But recently I notice Rockgeist Bikepacking, and must say I'm quite taken with some of their innovative ideas, in particular I like the lace up and bolt on frame bag attachments.

In fact I like it so much I have ordered a Barjam Harness and Apogee Harness Feedbag. Prices are reasonable for custom bags and international shipp is $20USD.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:05 pm

I've been looking at some various top tube bag options for a while.

Getting sick of humming and ha'ing over the great choices available now I grabbed some Revelate options from Bike24 as part of an order I was putting together.

I had spotted some cheaper prices online in Australia but some recent experiences have had me for the most part given up on Australian stores.

Also it lessened to an extent the perception of pain from the cost of European postage putting together a bundle to receive in one hit.

I like the convenience factor of not having to make myself available for multiple deliveries.

I took delivery of a Gastank and a Jerrycan amongst other things.

Both, but the Jerrycan especially are larger than I expected and I've a suspicion that the Jerrycan alone could cater to my immediate need which was for somewhere close to hand for my phone, wallet and keys and a xioami storage battery.

I have relegated my handlebar bag for my camera gear which I don't want getting unnecessarily marked from hard objects bouncing around in the shared space.

I found myself simply too lazy to want to search my panniers when photo opportunities presented themselves and I'm happy with my dslr which takes up a hunk of room with a couple of lenses.

So next step is to grab some protective tape (Gorilla?) to wrap the appropriate places on the bike frame in order to retain some paint.

RonK left an eBay link to some tape and I think I remember Balzaamon suggesting Bunnings having some suitable stuff.
Anyone updates on new sources or alternatives?

The point of my post was to inform of one source, albeit a slightly dearer one, though with stock, for the top tube bags.
as well as seek updates on protective tape and give the thread a bump.

I'm currently still happy lugging my racks and panniers around but not against taking the plunge with regards grabbing some bike packing bags which I hope enhance my touring.

I may at a later date even grab a frame bag in order to differently distribute my load and thus may find a taste for ditching the panniers for short trips should the bug take hold.
I'm interested in doing some weighing to see if there are any weight savings to be made ditching my bottle cages and large Nalgene bottles for a bladder as I can appreciate the convenience and weight distribution of a frame bag.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:05 pm

rifraf wrote:So next step is to grab some protective tape (Gorilla?) to wrap the appropriate places on the bike frame in order to retain some paint.

RonK left an eBay link to some tape and I think I remember Balzaamon suggesting Bunnings having some suitable stuff.
Anyone updates on new sources or alternatives?
About six months ago I bought a metre length of helicopter tape from this ebay seller. It's expensive but good stuff. There are possibly cheaper sources. Sorry about the huge URL, I've never bothered learning how to condense them;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3M-Superior ... SwHnFVzb9i

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Tim wrote: About six months ago I bought a metre length of helicopter tape from this ebay seller. It's expensive but good stuff. There are possibly cheaper sources. Sorry about the huge URL, I've never bothered learning how to condense them;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3M-Superior ... 2675079825
Thanks for the heads up Tim.
I shall certainly have a squiz.

As for the URL, pretty sure you can shorten it somewhat by deleting everything past the auction number as I have edited your post in the quote above.
One of the mods did try to explain how to properly do one time but it didn't stick in the grey matter for me and the best I can do is as above.
Another option of course might be simply offering "eBay" and the auction number, though your link does make it very easy for all concerned.

Again, I appreciate your suggestion - thank you. :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:52 pm

For a couple of top tube bags I wouldn't bother with helicopter tape.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Tim wrote:About six months ago I bought a metre length of helicopter tape from this ebay seller. It's expensive but good stuff.
I have also used helicopter tape. Brought it on eBay as well.
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Ok I've gotten around to plonking my Gastank and Jerrycan on my bike.

It appears I've missed the memo on how best to deal with what appears to be excess velcro strap.

Thought I'd ask in here and follow in the tire prints of those who've already dealt with the issue.

Guaranteed if I'd simply cut it off I'd find out too late some mystic methodology to avoid endless fraying or something.

Doubtless its been mentioned before but I don't have the enthusiasm to trawl through quite the number of pages this thread has grown to.

I did poke my head into the Relevatedesign website but failed to spot any info. :oops:

Thanks for any advice.

The Jerrycan is much larger than the pics on the site lead me to believe.
I was thinking it was something to chuck a couple of tubes and a puncture repair kit into with a multitool.
I could probably gotten away with just one of these bags.
Still, I'll simply have to avoid the temptation of filling them with things I might not otherwise have taken and simply just dig out bits and bobs otherwise homed in my panniers, which won't be hard.

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:28 pm

G'day Aidan,
With the Gas Tank, I had to insert an additional piece of closed-cell foam as a spacer in front to allow for the encroachment of the stem clamp (to the steerer). This meant that I had to actually put a longer piece of the double-sided velcro on to accommodate that.
As far as the velcro around the top tube was concerned, I put it through its fitting, folded it back and secured it, cutting of all of the excess (which made it seem very short), which meant (more so with the Jerry Can) that I wasn't rubbing on the velcro when I pedaled.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:56 am

Rodgerbiltit wrote:G'day Aidan,
With the Gas Tank, I had to insert an additional piece of closed-cell foam as a spacer in front to allow for the encroachment of the stem clamp (to the steerer). This meant that I had to actually put a longer piece of the double-sided velcro on to accommodate that.
As far as the velcro around the top tube was concerned, I put it through its fitting, folded it back and secured it, cutting of all of the excess (which made it seem very short), which meant (more so with the Jerry Can) that I wasn't rubbing on the velcro when I pedaled.
Hi Rodger,
thanks for the update.
Once you made the cut in the velcro did you feel the need to run a heat source (flame) across it to stop it fraying :?:

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 am

Once you made the cut in the velcro did you feel the need to run a heat source (flame) across it to stop it fraying
No, I didn't bother as the hook and loop is not an open weave. All I used were heavy scissors and trimmed off the corners (sharp points). If I find it fraying later, then I'll flame the edge.
I've included this image to describe better what I did with the spacing from the head tube/stem clamp...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:11 pm

I trimmed mine with scissors. The cut edge shows no sign of fraying.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Rodgerbiltit wrote:
Once you made the cut in the velcro did you feel the need to run a heat source (flame) across it to stop it fraying
No, I didn't bother as the hook and loop is not an open weave. All I used were heavy scissors and trimmed off the corners (sharp points). If I find it fraying later, then I'll flame the edge.
I've included this image to describe better what I did with the spacing from the head tube/stem clamp...
Big effort - Thank you :!:
RonK wrote:I trimmed mine with scissors. The cut edge shows no sign of fraying.
Thanks for the confirmation :!:

The ayes have it and I'll look for some scissors :)

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:20 pm

https://gearjunkie.com/midnight-special ... -road-bike

Not sure of the best place for this ... new surly addition, the midnight special .... drop bars (salsa cowbell) plus 650b/700 tyres that can go to 60mm/ 42 mm respectively (650b x 50mm or 700c x 32mm with fenders) (fit fatties fine)
$1800 usd (3k aud?)

Go!Run!GAH!

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:42 am

I bought a Giant ToughRoad SLR 1 2018 last December, wanted flat bar. Main use is just riding for fitness, and get out over night/s when I can. I didn't want to spend a lot yet and having a 10yr old entry level Giant MTB that has given good service though I'd give it a go :evil:
Seatpost (D-Fuse giant specific) was off centre, bit of flaffing around but repaced, abet with a different model - setback with one bolt instead of 2 bolt straight.
Rear tyre (Giant Crosscut Gravel 2, Tubeless,700x50) started leaking. Topped up Stans sealant, keep leaking, changed valve, keep leaking. Replaced stans with orange sealant - then noticed sealant around knobs of tyre. looks like the knobs are lifting and leaking after a couple of hundred k's ( about 5 off road).
I've ordered some Panaracer GravelKing SK Tubeless Ready 28" Folding Tyre 42's from zee germans. Couldn't find much in the 700 x 40+ local shops or on-line.
Like the style of the bike (reasonably disappointed in the giant), if i get enough use might be time to do a build :wink:
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:53 pm

"In response to the growing interest in bikepacking, Big Agnes has announced “HV UL Bikepack,” a line of bikepacking-specific tents with shorter pole segments, a rugged compression sack that can be mounted to the handlebars, and other features that cater toward cyclists."

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:54 am

Looks good to me. Broken (from being longer) poles are a pest as when you repair them they become a jousting pole. Have always struggled finding the right spot to lug a tent, and even worse shoving one that has been pulled down wet or damp into a pannier, so tended to go rack top. Up front and up high on the handle bars makes a lot of sense, maybe time to retire the bivy bag.