GPS Tracker / EPIRB options?

RonK

GPS Tracker / EPIRB options?

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:31 pm

No, I'll be keeping the genuine Delorme Inreach that I already have instead of upgrading as I was considering.

The Delorme product works faultlessly.
Once Garmin get involved it'll be all downhill, but they can do what they like, it won't bother me.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Re: GPS Tracker / EPIRB options?

Postby rifraf » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:48 pm

RonK wrote:No, I'll be keeping the genuine Delorme Inreach that I already have instead of upgrading as I was considering.
It appears de rigueur to leave off buying garmin products until updates have sorted out teething issues, sometimes around a year after release. :shock:

A surprising result that they have so much market share despite the obvious anger, frustration and disappointment their cycling products generate at times upon release.

An uprated iNreach isn't something you want to act up like the Edge 1000 was widely reported to do for so long.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 18, 2016 1:10 pm

For the Inreach folk, I spotted a comment/link on another forum suggesting a "new" (?) weather feature.....

"FYI - you can now download weather forecasts for your location via InReach. (http://www.inreachcanada.com/inreach-we ... b-50055593)"

Curtesy of Vicb at http://forums.mtbr.com/bikepacking-bike ... st12640000

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:29 pm

My RESQLINK+ battery registration is about to expire so I need to look for a replacement.

I'm unsure what direction I'll take.

I am interested in thoughts. opinions on what people think works and why so please consider offering your pearls of wisdom.

I think my unit must be 3 years old which if memory serves, is how long the registration lasts.

I imagine some new technologies have been developed given some time has passed and possibly some evolution occurred in PLBS.

The RESQLINK+ had most of the good press when I bought it based on my needs at the time.

I look forward to hearing about whats new, if anything and why it might be better than the RESQLINK+

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:35 pm

If you are interested a Spot Messenger check out the prices at Mountain Designs. It was down to about $145 I think, BUT you have to pay for a subscription.

In terms of EPIRBs check out http://bushwalk.com/ forums for some fairly current discussions.
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:56 pm

rifraf wrote:I think my unit must be 3 years old which if memory serves, is how long the registration lasts.
No need to rely on memory - the expiry date is marked on the back.

According to the web site the battery life of the ACR ResQLink + is 6 years, not three. And when it expires there are Australian service centres which can replace the battery and retest the unit.

Other than a PLB, the Delorme Inreach is still the better option. Delorme is now owned by Garmin, but there are pre-Garmin Delorme Inreach unit on eBay for around $300. You do need an account, but it can be suspended for a small monthly amount when you are not using it.

But unless you are actually going to use an Inreach regularly your are probably better off sticking with your PLB.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:19 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:I think my unit must be 3 years old which if memory serves, is how long the registration lasts.
No need to rely on memory - the expiry date is marked on the back.

According to the web site the battery life of the ACR ResQLink + is 6 years, not three. And when it expires there are Australian service centres which can replace the battery and retest the unit.

Other than a PLB, the Delorme Inreach is still the better option. Delorme is now owned by Garmin, but there are pre-Garmin Delorme Inreach unit on eBay for around $300. You do need an account, but it can be suspended for a small monthly amount when you are not using it.

But unless you are actually going to use an Inreach regularly your are probably better off sticking with your PLB.
Just checked and your right.
There is a sticker on the back with a Registration expiry date of 18 Jan.
A harder look unearths a stamp next to the sticker with a battery expiry of 02/2018.

I seem to remember talk on bush walk suggesting buying new being the better option than getting refurb.
Pretty sure I confirmed this route by pricing battery replacement at the service centre at the time.

At this point (early days), a RSQLINK+ or inReach are on the table though I guess I've lots of reading ahead of me.

I've been a bit slack keeping on top of this. :oops:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
Yes locally so only the $30 activation fee. They charge $5.00 a month to suspend the service ...

Thanks for the information and link. I was thinking the Explorer option as well so you have confirmed it for me.

Andrew
Do I understand correctly that if you only tour for one month a year, your paying a one off $30 registration, what ever level of monthly subscription you prefer and then a fee of $5 per month for not using it?

Its the fees for downtime I'm a little unclear about.

I'm thinking your saying its $55 for the rest of the year to not use it, correct?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:26 pm

rifraf wrote: I'm thinking your saying its $55 for the rest of the year to not use it, correct?
Yes. I suspect still cheaper than a Spot subscription and with the Spot you get less functionality.
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:07 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote: I'm thinking your saying its $55 for the rest of the year to not use it, correct?
Yes. I suspect still cheaper than a Spot subscription and with the Spot you get less functionality.
With Spot you pay full price whether you use it or not.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 pm

In the end I was a little put off by the potential for my forgetfulness to manifest with regards organising the subscription correctly.
This with regards to a Delorme or Garmin unit.

Perhaps of interest to others now I've gone with an alternative is:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mosman- ... 1173255550

I just pressed the button on a replacement ACR RSQLink+ from eBay for $284 after using the PICK5 code offering 5% off.

I found as last time, the appeal of filling out the registration form as a one off for 5 years before having to concern myself with the topic again.

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions.. :)
Last edited by rifraf on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 am

Good deal on the ACR, cheers to hoping you never use it

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am

jindydiver wrote:Good deal on the ACR, cheers to hoping you never use it
Even better with it coming with free express postage given that most WA mail comes from East via truck and I can usually get from overseas quicker.

Yeah hearing of WarrenH getting bitten by a snake out in the boonies made me have a rethink on safety some time ago.

Oh and if anyone was interested, it was dispatched promptly, well packaged and sent free Express post with signed for/trackable shipping.

I was able to easily add it to my existing account: https://www.beacons.amsa.gov.au/

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:28 pm

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:24 pm

Saw this mentioned in one of the US forums ... didn't get much a positive wrap compared to say the Garmin inReach.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 03, 2018 11:20 pm

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 04, 2018 7:17 am

I could swear he didn't take a single breath during that entire presentation.

So if you didn't understand his gibberish, this may give a better understand about the Mini's features.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri May 04, 2018 8:25 am