GPS Tracker / EPIRB options?

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:09 pm

dalai47 wrote:About to buy an OceanSignal's PLB1 RescueMe for my solo Mawson trail trip fast approaching . Any last minute suggestions for other options before I do?
Well, do you want a tracker, a beacon or both.

If both you might consider the Delorme Inreach that is currently tracking my tour.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jindydiver

Re: GPS Tracker / EPIRB options?

Postby jindydiver » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:18 pm

sogood wrote:
Warin wrote:That will require a change of satellites ... = $$,$$$ (at least) + time (in 10s of years). I'd put that in the distant future. Oh and change the ground station equipment ....
How do you think the present satellites receive and pass on the GPS coordinates and the IDs of activated PLB/EPIRB? Of course theses things are expensive but money is being spent. Change satellites? Or change the softwares? 10 years? Maybe or shorter. Don't be so pessimistic.

The Cospas-Sarsat satellites will never be used for emails, they were never designed to handle that sort of bandwidth. There are units already that allow for limited text communication, things like SPOT Connect, DeLorme InReach and Text Anywhere. They all use the Iridium satellites and require expensive subscription and activation fees.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:04 pm

RonK wrote:
dalai47 wrote:About to buy an OceanSignal's PLB1 RescueMe for my solo Mawson trail trip fast approaching . Any last minute suggestions for other options before I do?
Well, do you want a tracker, a beacon or both.

If both you might consider the Delorme Inreach that is currently tracking my tour.
Is it working properly now? That you had issues with it really puts me off it as an emergency device ... in an emergency you need it to work.

Andrew
Andrew

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:48 pm

RonK wrote:Well, do you want a tracker, a beacon or both.
Probably now settled on just a beacon. Ideally something small like the RescueMe so I never ask myself if I have room to take it... I'll worry about getting a tracker like the SPOT when I sign up for the Tour Divide. :D

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:07 pm

Just received my Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB1 today... Impressed with its small size!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:23 am

dalai47 wrote:Just received my Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB1 today... Impressed with its small size!
How easy would it be to activate, particularly if you are in a serious state?

Andrew
Andrew

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:12 am

I watched a youtube video before I bought it which showed it possible to activate one handed... I am sure there will be scenarios where I won't be able to activate the PLB which is a definite limitation, but I weighed up this with additional subscription fees etc and decided I was willing to accept this compromise.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:26 am

dalai47 wrote:I watched a youtube video before I bought it which showed it possible to activate one handed... I am sure there will be scenarios where I won't be able to activate the PLB which is a definite limitation, but I weighed up this with additional subscription fees etc and decided I was willing to accept this compromise.
There are not any subscription fees with the PLB1.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:29 am

That was in reference to the Spot which I was also considering when I started this topic.

I am aware the PBL1 doesn't which is one reason why I bought it... :wink:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:08 pm

@ronk what are you thoughts now on the DeLorme inReach? Also which model are you using and what subscription plan have you used? My Spot Messenger subscription is up for renewal and I am seriously considering selling it and updating it with DeLorme.

Andrew
Andrew

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Might be "off topic" but could also be a solution. A mate on my Saturday ride put me on to an App called Glympse. Obviously you need a smartphone to be tracked, but then you can be visible on a mobile/tablet/computer to more than one person and you set the time you are visible for. Has worked very well but does chew up the battery slightly.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:56 pm

Aushiker wrote:@ronk what are you thoughts now on the DeLorme inReach? Also which model are you using and what subscription plan have you used? My Spot Messenger subscription is up for renewal and I am seriously considering selling it and updating it with DeLorme.
I have the standard Inreach. I don't see the need for the Explorer or SE since I'm carrying a smartphone which can connect via Bluetooth to send and receive free text messages to and from anybody.
I've been quite pleased with its functionality on two tours. Four AA Lithium Ultimate batteries last for a months touring. It acquires GPS signal quickly and holds it from inside my handlebar bag. However I'm not sure if you can still buy this model.

Despite what others may say, I find Pivotel fair, helpful and pleasant to deal with. But you do need to buy an Australian device or pay the International activation fee. Since my last trip they have introduced the account suspension facility that has long been offered in the US. There is no minimun term, so after the once-off activation fee ($30) it'll cost you $50 on the Expedition Plan for a month long tour and $5 bucks to suspend the account until you need it again. Beat that Spot.

Delorme Inreach Plans

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:19 am

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:@ronk what are you thoughts now on the DeLorme inReach? Also which model are you using and what subscription plan have you used? My Spot Messenger subscription is up for renewal and I am seriously considering selling it and updating it with DeLorme.
I have the standard Inreach.
That is my preferred choice but I don't see it listed in the shop at https://satstore.pivotel.com.au/inreach/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so wondered if it was still available. Do you recall who you brought it from?

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:57 pm

I reached out to Pivot and this is the response ...
Just wish to understand that you are talking about the inReach 1.5 Device (Black model) as per the image below. If so, yes this model is now obsolete and has been replaced with the inReach SE (Yellow version with Screen). but we as the supplier for inReach into Australia and New Zealand still support the 1.5 product (IE Warranty etc). We also do still have a small quantity of the inReach 1.5 model in stock but not amny resellers are stocking these liking the new model. The 1.5 device does need to be paired to a Smartphone via Bluetooth to operate and the Smartphone is used basically as a keypad to allow you to compile a 160 character text message. The inReach SE however has its own screen and whilst you still can pair this to your smartphone if you so wish, and use in the same way as the 1.5 model, you can also just use the onscreen display of the device and compile & send messages directly from the inReach SE device.

The inReach SE retails for $429 + freight $15, and the inReach 1.5 I can let you have for $299 + freight. Brand new with 12 months warranty.
Decisions decisons ...

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:11 pm

I don't think there is much of a functional difference between inReach 1.5 + iPhone and inReach SE. Perhaps the 1.5 would have better battery life with no screen to power. You will be carrying a smartphone anyway. So it really just comes down to the $$$$.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:26 pm

RonK wrote:I don't think there is much of a functional difference between inReach 1.5 + iPhone and inReach SE. Perhaps the 1.5 would have better battery life with no screen to power. You will be carrying a smartphone anyway. So it really just comes down to the $$$$.
In no way knocking the varies units you've been discussing.

Is there not now any ap's that offer the ability to track in real time via a phone?
Or am I forgetting the advantage of the satellites?
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:31 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:I don't think there is much of a functional difference between inReach 1.5 + iPhone and inReach SE. Perhaps the 1.5 would have better battery life with no screen to power. You will be carrying a smartphone anyway. So it really just comes down to the $$$$.
In no way knocking the varies units you've been discussing.

Is there not now any ap's that offer the ability to track in real time via a phone?
Or am I forgetting the advantage of the satellites?
Phone trackers only work where there is coverage. iReach works anywhere, and provides an SOS service.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:33 pm

I might try and get clarification on any technology advances and if nothing of note, will go the with the inReach 1.5

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:34 pm

rifraf wrote:Is there not now any ap's that offer the ability to track in real time via a phone?
Would eat battery which has to be charged and given at least with the Mukluk no dynamo, that is something I would prefer to avoid.

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Given that Garmin Edges etc utilise satellites, I wonder why they've nothing to add to the mix....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:54 pm

rifraf wrote:Given that Garmin Edges etc utilise satellites, I wonder why they've nothing to add to the mix....
They are primarily receivers of data from "dumb" satellites rather than transmitters. A device such as inReach is a receiver/transmitter using specific communication satellites [satellite phone]; the Iridium network in the case of inReach and GlobalStar [?] in the case of Spot.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:19 pm

Well I now have an inReach Communicator which I think is the one you have Ron. I got a near new second hand unit via eBay for $186 delivered, considerably less than the $300 new price. Looks good, everything that should be in the box is there sans batteries. Just need to complete the activation process and all go. SHould be able to test it next week when I duck off for a couple of days visiting Billy aka Mt Billy.

BTW Ron which plan do you find works well when you are touring?

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:24 pm

Aushiker wrote:Well I now have an inReach Communicator which I think is the one you have Ron. I got a near new second hand unit via eBay for $186 delivered, considerably less than the $300 new price. Looks good, everything that should be in the box is there sans batteries. Just need to complete the activation process and all go. SHould be able to test it next week when I duck off for a couple of days visiting Billy aka Mt Billy.

Gee I hope you bought it locally - you do realize that the criticism about Pivotel on Bushwalk was about the additional activation fee for overseas units?

I only keep mine connected while I'm on tour. Last trip this meant I had to pay another activation fee, but since then Pivotel have introduced the option to suspend the service when not in use and then resume the service without an additional activation fee. I used the Explorer plan last tour - the previous time I chose a cheaper plan but ended up paying for extra trackpoints anyway.

I think I have the tracking interval set to 20 minutes. At this rate the Explorer plan allowed enough track points for a month of touring. I have the three static messages set for starting out, stopping for a rest and stopping for the day, and left it running until I reached my destination. It only sends a track point every 4 hours when stationary, so no need to turn it off when you stop for lunch.

I used two sets of Energiser Lithum Ultimate batteries over the month, carried one extra set in reserve but did not need them. Although I did miss a section of tracking when I didn't realise the batteries has run flat. Make sure you choose the correct setting for the type of battery you are using.

My track is here.

Have fun with it. :wink:

BTW, you may be interested in Doarama. Here is a visualisation of one of my stages.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:16 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Well I now have an inReach Communicator which I think is the one you have Ron. I got a near new second hand unit via eBay for $186 delivered, considerably less than the $300 new price. Looks good, everything that should be in the box is there sans batteries. Just need to complete the activation process and all go. SHould be able to test it next week when I duck off for a couple of days visiting Billy aka Mt Billy.

Gee I hope you bought it locally - you do realize that the criticism about Pivotel on Bushwalk was about the additional activation fee for overseas units?
Yes locally so only the $30 activation fee. They charge $5.00 a month to suspend the service ...

Thanks for the information and link. I was thinking the Explorer option as well so you have confirmed it for me.

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:49 pm

I hope you and RonK are enjoying your Garmin inReach Communicators.

I'm wondering if RonK will now be selling his now that Garmin has gotten their greasy mitts on the company........ :shock:

Just teasing RonK, I was going to do a gentle wind up and find that thread where you were miffed and threatening to never own another Garmin product :wink:
RonK wrote:I've had a bitter experience with Garmin. I will never buy another Garmin product.
http://www.delorme.com/about/pressreleases/garmin.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"February 11, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Contacts:

Ted Gartner
Garmin International Inc.
Phone: 913-397-8200
E-Mail: media.relations@garmin.com

Kim Stiver
DeLorme
Phone: 207-846-7018
E-Mail: kim.stiver@delorme.com

Schaffhausen, Switzerland and Yarmouth, Maine/February 11, 2016/Business Wire - Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN) today announced that it has entered into an agreement to acquire substantially all of the assets of DeLorme, a privately-held company that designs and markets consumer based satellite tracking devices with two-way communication and navigational capabilities. The completion of the acquisition, which is subject to customary conditions, is expected to occur within 30 to 60 days.
One of the most compelling products in the DeLorme portfolio is its inReach series of two-way satellite communication devices. These GPS-enabled devices allow the user to send and receive satellite text messages or trigger an SOS for emergency help, anywhere in the world. In addition to inReach, DeLorme has an extensive library of digital cartography and enterprise GIS software, as well as traditional mapping.
"DeLorme is a respected brand with exciting products and technologies that are a natural fit in the Garmin portfolio," said Cliff Pemble, Garmin’s president and CEO. "We look forward to completing the acquisition and welcoming them onto our team. We are looking forward to leveraging their expertise to further enhance the Garmin lineup of products."
"Our inReach technology is invaluable to hikers, hunters, boaters, and pilots who often find themselves in remote areas – Garmin’s core customers. We are looking forward to completing the acquisition and are excited to help leverage our expertise into enhancing their already outstanding products," said Michael Heffron, CEO of DeLorme. "Garmin has extensive R&D capabilities and a global distribution network that will allow us to provide this technology to customers across many markets and around the world."
Garmin will retain most of the associates of DeLorme and will continue operations at its existing location in Yarmouth, Maine following the completion of the acquisition. The Yarmouth facility will operate primarily as a research and development facility and will continue to develop two-way satellite communication devices and technologies. Financial terms of the purchase agreement and acquisition will not be released.
For more than 25 years, Garmin has pioneered new GPS navigation and wireless devices and applications that are designed for people who live an active lifestyle. Garmin serves five primary business units, including automotive, aviation, fitness, marine, and outdoor recreation. For more information, visit Garmin's virtual pressroom at garmin.com/newsroom, contact the Media Relations department at 913-397-8200, or follow us at facebook.com/garmin, twitter.com/garmin, or youtube.com/garmin.
About Garmin Ltd.
Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in Schaffhausen, Switzerland, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. Garmin is a registered trademark of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.
Notice on Forward-Looking Statements:
This release includes forward-looking statements regarding Garmin Ltd. and its business. Such statements are based on management’s current expectations. The forward-looking events and circumstances discussed in this release may not occur and actual results could differ materially as a result of known and unknown risk factors and uncertainties affecting Garmin, including, but not limited to, the risk factors listed in the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 27, 2014, filed by Garmin with the Securities and Exchange Commission (Commission file number 0-31983). A copy of such Form 10-K is available at http://www.garmin.com/aboutGarmin/invRe ... ports.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. No forward-looking statement can be guaranteed. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made and Garmin undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise."

I borrowed the info above from a post I spotted on Bushwalk by Photobiker

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assume its considered ok, having offered up provenance, to quote it?