Touring rims - suggestions and availability in Aus

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:38 pm

So I'm having a bit of a frustrating run with rims. Since moving to Tas a little over four years, commuting/ light touring duties have destroyed the following in short order either through cracks in the sidewalls, or cracks around the spoke/ nipple holes: Alex ACE 17 & ACE 19, Mavic A319, Mavic Open Pro, and last week a Velocity Synergy. They were in either 32 or 36 hole drillings, and were all part of hand built wheels by few different people, with the last one built by myself. Breakages have occured on four different frames, two alloy and two steel.

My commute is 56km daily, with 700m of climbing, all on bitumen of varying quality although nothing major in terms of potholes/ expansion joint hits. There's not a lot of braking in that distance either, one of the nice things about Hobart is traffic lights are fairly minimal once you are out of the centre of town, so I only negotiate eight intersections that I regularly have to brake at. I average about 27kph over the whole distance.

I weight 95kg kitted out, and carry either a 7-8kg pannier on the drive side, or a trunk top bag on the run to work. Occasionally I carry a second pannier for shopping/ extra kit running duties. Typically I run either 25 or 28mm rubber on the rear, for the 25 I run at 90-95psi and for the 28 75-80psi.

Given the fact a) I am obviously no lightweight, and b) I have a good history of breaking things it would seem wise to get a dedicated touring rim. Tyre wise I can run up to 32mm before I run out of fender clearance on the frame. Spec wise I want something silver, and 36H, and the interwebs suggest something like a Rigida/ Ryde Sputnik or a Velocity Dyad are the obvious contenders. However no-one seems to stock Rigida/ Ryde in Australia, and both Spa and Practical Cycles in the UK won't ship to Australia which makes me think that a distributor has them tied up. Similarly Velocity seems to be in limited supply. The only option that looks possible is to use a US forwarding address and order from there. Anyone have any suggestions for alternatives, or somewhere in Aus that might stock said items?
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

RonK

Re: Touring rims - suggestions and availability in Aus

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:39 pm

rangersac wrote:I want something silver, and 36H, and the interwebs suggest something like a Rigida/ Ryde Sputnik or a Velocity Dyad are the obvious contenders. However no-one seems to stock Rigida/ Ryde in Australia, and both Spa and Practical Cycles in the UK won't ship to Australia which makes me think that a distributor has them tied up. Similarly Velocity seems to be in limited supply. The only option that looks possible is to use a US forwarding address and order from there. Anyone have any suggestions for alternatives, or somewhere in Aus that might stock said items?
I have Velocity Chukker on one tourer - they are made for bike polo and are built like hell for strong. They should be available locally but I can't nominate anyone.

The other bike has Rigida Andra 30 CSS, which can be sourced from SJS (St. John Cycles). These are very strong wheels with hardened brake surfaces.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:45 pm

Cracks around spoke hole nipples are indicative of a bad wheel build! Too high tension. Might help to specify if you want 26", 27.5", 700c aka 29er
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Yep, got my Rigida Andra 30 CSS rims from SJS Cycles as well. They make a version drilled for Rohloff hubs. They also have the Grizzly in CSS too.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Thought so 700c aka 29er rims, so the rims posted will not suit as they are 26"

On my masi I've got Mavic A719 rims and not had an issue and they have done over 6000km on them.
I suggest build your wheels, pay attention to the rim max spoke tension and observe it. If you don't have a spoke tension meter get one. Sounds like to me past wheels that have been built have not used a tension meter and gone over the limit and you have had cracked rims as the result.

Il padrones suggestion of the grizzly would work as there are 700c versions in that as well
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Cracks around spoke hole nipples are indicative of a bad wheel build! Too high tension. Might help to specify if you want 26", 27.5", 700c aka 29er
700c size. The only one I had which cracked around the spoke holes was the Alex ACE 17 which is not eyeletted, so not a total surprise. All the others failed in the sidewall. Given the weight of me plus kit, and various recommended pressure charts I don't think I'm over inflating tyres so it's got me stumped as to why they are failing. I regularly check brake pads for contamination and true wheels pretty regularly.
il padrone wrote:Yep, got my Rigida Andra 30 CSS rims from SJS Cycles as well. They make a version drilled for Rohloff hubs. They also have the Grizzly in CSS too.
The CSS rims only seem to come in black, but they have the Sputnik in silver, although drilled for Schrader rather than Presta valves. Shipping costs are fairly hefty as well, considerably more than the price of the rim! One other option may be to use a forwarding service in the US.

Anyone used a DT Swiss TK540? Rosebikes has these, and although they are a pricey rim, shipping is pretty reasonable.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:39 pm

rangersac wrote:The CSS rims only seem to come in black, but they have the Sputnik in silver, although drilled for Schrader rather than Presta valves]
Yes, probably. I guess you need to consider what is more important to you, the tough rims or the colour :?
rangersac wrote:Shipping costs are fairly hefty as well, considerably more than the price of the rim!
On the SJS website that I'm looking at, the Grizzly rims cost 140 Pd St for a pair. Shipping is pricey (but not "more than the price of the rim") at 56 Pds, but also VAT is deducted, so the net price increase is only 32.67 Pd St .
Mandatory helmet law?

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:02 am

il padrone wrote:On the SJS website that I'm looking at, the Grizzly rims cost 140 Pd St for a pair. Shipping is pricey (but not "more than the price of the rim") at 56 Pds, but also VAT is deducted, so the net price increase is only 32.67 Pd St .
I was quoting the shipping price for the Sputnik rims, which in that case are considerably more expensive (something like 50 pounds for a pair). Question for the CSS users though, there's a bit of chatter on the interwebs about them losing their wet weather braking performance. Anyone have a similar experience?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:09 am

I'm just finishing a tour of NZ where I encountered several steep and winding descents in the wet.
I would say that the CSS rims give the most confidence inspiring performance I've ever had from rim brakes.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:19 am

rangersac wrote:Similarly Velocity seems to be in limited supply.
My local wheelbuilder, Steven Craft of Craftworx stocked Velocity Chukker in black when we last spoke a few months ago.
I'm sure other wheelbuilders can source them too.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:07 am

Anyone used a DT Swiss TK540
Was going to toss this up but you did say silver...
but yes and in 32 and solid things they be. I am a a 80kg rider and nowadays cant get excited about heavy touring with front and rear panniers so go lighter weight frame packs and bags but I do take them on some shabby roads running between 32 and 35 mm tyres. Never look like going out of true and while I run my rim brake version with disc the braking surface seems hefty enough to give long service. Would go them again.
cheekytransport are also keen on building wheels with these rims so must be a big plus. They may have some in stock?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:09 am

rangersac wrote:
il padrone wrote:On the SJS website that I'm looking at, the Grizzly rims cost 140 Pd St for a pair. Shipping is pricey (but not "more than the price of the rim") at 56 Pds, but also VAT is deducted, so the net price increase is only 32.67 Pd St .
I was quoting the shipping price for the Sputnik rims, which in that case are considerably more expensive (something like 50 pounds for a pair).
I am still puzzled by the "higher shipping" ?? Also is this 50 Pds before or after VAT is deducted?
rangersac wrote:Question for the CSS users though, there's a bit of chatter on the interwebs about them losing their wet weather braking performance. Anyone have a similar experience?
Occasionally around town, in heavyish rain, on a cold day, I have noticed some braking lag. A bit like the old steel rims at first but the brakes come in good with a pull. Strangely, on all sorts of tours in wet conditions, and on snow rides to Donna Buang, I have never been bothered by this, even when fully loaded.

BTW, my Andra CSS are now up to 22,000 kms and the braking surface is just beginning to show signs of burnishing off. I am fully confident these rims will go to 40,000 kms for me. That makes a 'higher' shipping cost kinda inconsequential.
Mandatory helmet law?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:57 am

I have been running A719 rims on my commuter, with fully loaded rack/panniers. Never had an issue, but anz Open Pro wheel built by the lbs for the same bike ended up popping 10 of the drive side spoke eyelets, and actually tore the eyelet out of the rim. I thought it was just a dodgy rim, but I have since but myself a new rear wheel on Open Pros and have not had any problems thus far.
I suspect that the lbs had the spokes far in excess of Max tension.
The A719 is a rock solid rim. Mine have been on my original hybrid bike with rim brakes, then relaced to disc hubs for use on my CX commuter (after the open pro cracking above). They would have done over 20,000km now and still going strong.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:57 pm

Are you running Canti brakes with Shimano pads? I have tried some recently and they are like sandpaper on the rims. They grind the rim in no short order. I tried a replacement set, same issue and changed to Koolstop. No more problems. If you are wearing out the sidewalls they will fail, and in my experience some Shimano pads and rim combos don't work. This includes Open Pro rims.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:10 pm

il padrone wrote:I am still puzzled by the "higher shipping" ?? Also is this 50 Pds before or after VAT is deducted?
SJS delivery fee is 56 quid. 2 x Sputnik rims with VAT deducted is just over 34 quid.
rogerrabbit wrote:Are you running Canti brakes with Shimano pads?
Nope, Tektro long reach dual calipers with Swisstop green pads. I might go for some Koolstops though since they are a softer compound, but really I don't have a lot of braking to do in my travels.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:45 pm

RonK wrote: The other bike has Rigida Andra 30 CSS, which can be sourced from SJS (St. John Cycles). These are very strong wheels with hardened brake surfaces.
These rims require matching brake pads for optimum braking performance. Great in the dry but not so good when the rims are wet.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Mike Ayling wrote:
RonK wrote: The other bike has Rigida Andra 30 CSS, which can be sourced from SJS (St. John Cycles). These are very strong wheels with hardened brake surfaces.
These rims require matching brake pads for optimum braking performance. Great in the dry but not so good when the rims are wet.
I commented on this a few posts back, but will repeat.
Just a few weeks ago I descended the very steep Arthurs Pass, New Zealand down the Otira Viaduct in the wet.
The CSS rims/pads provided the most confidence inspiring wet weather performance I've ever experienced from rim brakes.

icicic

Postby icicic » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:24 pm

For anyone still keen on the Ryde Andra 30s (formerly Rigida Andra 30s) I just ordered one rim for $55 including post to Australia. I'm very pleased with that price.

https://www.bikeonlineshop.net/rigida/a ... -559-black

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 am

Wow that's cheap. Thanks for posting. Mine are still going. I like the braking surface but the rims are godawful heavy.

edit-Just looked at the link. No mention of CSS surface and "without turned sidewalls." So I'd guess they're not the same thing.

Warin

Postby Warin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:40 am

Leaf T wrote:edit-Just looked at the link. No mention of CSS surface and "without turned sidewalls." So I'd guess they're not the same thing.
For their range https://www.bikeonlineshop.net/rigida
For rim brake - 26" - 24.08 euro + postage https://www.bikeonlineshop.net/rigida/a ... 559-silver

For CSS rim brake - 26" - 100.83 euro + postage https://www.bikeonlineshop.net/rigida/a ... im-559-css (697 grams - the Andra 40 is 790 grams)

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 am

I have a brand new 26" Rigida Andra CSS rim if anybody is looking for one. 32 spokes I think.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:53 am

I am currently riding on a pair of AlexRims DM18s Double-wall and eyeletted - very similar to Velocity Atlas in design.

Mine are 650B and running 42mm Schwalbe Marathons. They are not expensive either. I bought mine as a complete set of wheels for $250.

I understand what it is like to be a "Clydesdale Class Rider" - I'm 115kg before the kit goes on Though, My panniers generally weigh only 4-5kgs each
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:14 am

https://viventebikes.com/considerations/wheels

These are the wheels currently used on the Vivente touring bicycle range....my previous Vivente had Alex rims but with the inclusion of hydro disc brakes on the later models such as my Patagonia, they have gone to the DT Swiss P545 rims and so far they have been great...I'm not a light weight either at nearly 110KG and they cope with me and my panniers which with my rain gear, tools,lunches, locks are around 3-4kg each every day. Haven't tested them fully loaded yet but I'm pretty sure Noel McFarlane wouldn't put wheels on his tourers if they were questionable as he tours with the same set on his own.
Anyway, some good explainations of the wheels and tyres on his website...so check it out.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:17 pm

hartleymartin wrote:I am currently riding on a pair of AlexRims DM18s Double-wall and eyeletted - very similar to Velocity Atlas in design.
I ended up with a set of these, and no complaints so far. Not light, but very tough and reliable.