A Salsa Fargo for me...

}SkOrPn--7

Re: A Salsa Fargo for me...

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:38 pm

RonK wrote:
I posted a poll about the rim decals. I'm still undecided but opinion seems to be fairly even.
I'm in a different camp I remove all decals then replace with my own on both sides but each to there own.

If it was me Ron I would remove and add "Whispering Wheels Singing Spokes"

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:37 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I'm in a different camp I remove all decals then replace with my own on both sides but each to there own.
Where do you get them made?
Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:49 pm

Aushiker wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I'm in a different camp I remove all decals then replace with my own on both sides but each to there own.
Where do you get them made?
Andrew I go to my local sign business I take with me the circumference, diameter, font, maximum height of lettering to fit rim. From that height of lettering they can then work out lenght but on top of that it's up to you if you ask for a font to be stretched, slopped forward/backwards or what ever. The more you supply them the less work they have to do reducing cost. I ask for exterior vinyl with 7 year life and depends on your needs you can ask for anything in my case they can do screen printing decals as well so you can take your own art work and have a decal made. That vinyl you see on that rim I think I got 30 made up all done on a sheet with laying tape already applied for about $35.00. That might be a little cheap they look after me I get allot done through them for all my RC stuff and of course you have a huge range of colours, metallics, high vis, reflective it's endless.

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks Ricky. I may investigate this further.
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:07 pm

It was a public holiday in Brisbane today, so I was able to get the Fargo out for a mid-week ride.

Since fine tuning the saddle and bar angles on the first couple of rides I'm settling in to be really very comfortable with the riding position.

So the build is now for all intents and purposes complete.

And I'm so impressed with the Sram GX 2x10 group that I am considering it as future upgrade to my Sabbath.

Over the next couple of months I'll be mounting accessories and having a trial pack of the bikepacking bags in preparation for a backroads tour of the southern highlands of New Zealand.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:16 pm

A new arrival. The final pieces of my bikepacking bag system - a couple of chaff bags made by BikeBagDude. These are big enough to hold a standard bidon in one and lunch/plenty of snacks in the other.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:15 pm

I've been riding the Fargo for more than a month now and have logged over 500km. The joy of riding it hasn't diminished in the slightest during this time.

Apart for some positional adjustments to the bar and saddle position I haven't need to put a spanner to it, and it's quiet. Gloriously quiet.

I'm not entire convinced about the woodchipper bars. They are quite good to ride but annoyingly wide in confined spaces. I may yet be tempted to change to a cowchipper instead.

Yesterday an Airwave Airblast tubeless tyre pump I ordered arrived from c r c, so I'm now ready to fit up my tubeless tyres, although I probably won't do that until I'm about to go on tour. So now my focus turns to packing.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Since I acquired a set of bikepacking bags from Bedrock Bags it has been my packing plan to stuff my sleeping bag (Marmot Hydrogen) into a compression sack and carry it in the Entrada handlebar bag.

But when I did a trial pack using a XS SeaToSummit Event compression dry bag I found it was a very difficult tight fit in the Entrada. I needed to find a compression stuff sack with a smaller diameter.

After comparing the specifications of every brand of bag I could find looking for something smaller in diameter, I finally ordered a 5L Outdoor Research Ultralight Compression Sack that is a little longer than the S2S bag, and only 5.25 inches in diameter.

It arrived today so time for another trial pack. I was expecting to find it difficult to stuff the sleeping bag, but to my surprise it was easier to stuff than the S2S bag because of its drawstring rather than rolltop closure. And compresses easily by about one third its length.

And it fits easily in the Entrada - as snug as bug in a rug.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:55 pm

It came up really nice. I hope your C17 lasts longer than mine did.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:00 pm

Well no - it started out slate, but now it's tan like yours. And that happened while it was stowed away in a cupboard.

It seems it is a common problem. I was reading on another forum that some owners have resorted to using fabric dye to restore them.

I will probably get around to trying it sometime.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:03 pm

Take a close look at the rivets compared to yours.

And yes the colour has changed.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:25 am

Mugglechops wrote:Take a close look at the rivets compared to yours.

And yes the colour has changed.
Have you sent that photo to Brooks? I'd ask for a replacement.

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:39 pm

You know, in the past week I've paid the mortgage, insurance, electricity, rates, phone/internet and bought groceries. If it weren't for those things I coulda bought a new bike.

Adulting sucks!

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Mugglechops wrote:It came up really nice. I hope your C17 lasts longer than mine did.

Damn! Just looked at mine and its started doing the same...

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:48 pm

Wingnut wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:It came up really nice. I hope your C17 lasts longer than mine did.

Damn! Just looked at mine and its started doing the same...
Got 6k on mine and no dramas. Bit faded but still darkish

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Mine is starting to slip around the rivets too.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:42 pm

How many kms have you done on it?

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:39 pm

brokenbus wrote:How many kms have you done on it?
About 2600kms. It's going back to the shop to be replaced with a new one.

That hopefully lasts longer.

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:07 pm

Checked my C17 today. I purchased it second hand (paid a bit too much), already faded.

Probably put as many kms (myself) on it as Mugglechops. No movement away from the rivets for me....

On closer inspection, maybe not as much, though definitely some movement.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:22 pm

RonK wrote:Way back at the start of the year I took the plunge and pressed the button on a Salsa Fargo 2 frame from HiBike in Germany, one of the few places where you can buy Salsa online. After a wait of some months, it arrived mid-April.
Hi Ron, back to your original post, I was wondering about the pricing at the time early 2015, was it on sale, or just excellent exchange rate back then? Your model was a current 2015 model year back then from the image name, so I guess it was not any close-out discount.

I was also wondering what the few months wait was, regular for sea freight?

I just became interested in the 2017 Fargo being steel and 29x3 compatible (all but XS frame size) and has a belt cutout in the drive side rear frame end, top Alternator mount at end of seat stay tube, so the Alternator dropout bypasses the cut with its connection to the chain stay Alternator mount.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:44 pm

No it was not on sale - in fact the wait was for stock to arrive in Europe so definitely not a close-out.

These bikes are hard to get and stocks sell out quickly - even in the US.

Hibike.com have the 2017 Fargo frame for €923.53 + €22.90 shipping. But there will be a wait.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:32 pm

When I built the Fargo I wasn't sure which tyres to use, so I mounted the Soma Cazaderos with tubes.

But a series of mystery flats have exhausted my patience (and my supply of tubes) so today I bit the bullet and mounted them tubeless.

The Cazaderos are not rated tubeless, but the casings are Panasonic so I was confident they would seal.

It was surprisingly quick and painless. Once the tubes were stripped out I tipped a cupful of sealant into each tyre and refitted them to the rim. And managed it without getting in a mess of sealant.

My Airshot Airblast pump got its first ever workout and seated the beads instantly with a satisfying "crack", "crack", "crack",

After a bit of tapping to distribute the sealant the tyres were holding pressure. A few tiny spots of sealant seeped through the side walls and that was it.

So now they're tubless it's time to order a Dynaplug kit.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:42 am

You are in good standing with your karma to have a tubeless set up so easily!

I'm afraid with my first attempt with TLR rims/tyres/sealant, the rim cutouts showing tiny leaks that sealed, I'm wary of pressure changes high to low repeatedly that may break the dried sealant at the rim strip to cutout. So I haven't let the pressure down yet... but will test close to home.

I'm also keen to see what you get for dynaplug kit, I have no tubeless patching ability at present. George Couyant of Isi Carriers did a good post on his 4wd/motorcycle/bicycle blended tubeless repair kit I'll have to find a link to.

P.s. I joined the Fargo FB group seeking owner details on the split 2017 Alternator dropout.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:18 am

This is the kit I'm going to order. Dynaplug Micro Pro

Edit: In stock at Mountain Bikes Direct.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:41 pm

You are in good standing with your karma to have a tubeless set up so easily!
Wait, I still like to run Kenda Karma L3R pros when really wet and muddy; so if I try and have ease in getting these up to tubeless, do I get double karma, or does the double positives cancel one another and produce an negative?
My Small Block Eights have been lucky in the dry 'cause,...... 8.