A Salsa Fargo for me...

rifraf

Re: A Salsa Fargo for me...

Postby rifraf » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:28 am

RonK wrote:
Hmmm, I just realised I've listed the wrong battery. I have the Xiaomi 16000mAh Power Bank.

And of course the final part of the complete system is the Anker 5-port 40W charger.

I don't think there is a list - as far as I know all Xiaomi Powerbanks have a pass-through circuit. But there are a lot of fakes out there which don't so make sure you buy a genuine one. Verify the security code to be sure.
Yeah I've had for a little while the 10,000mAh Xiaomi version, checked out to be genuine, acquired from Mushtato.com.au on a special I spotted on Ozbargain site.

LOL, oh the irony of Chinese tech being faked.......

Whilst it was the one of the newer versions at the time, I don't remember reading it was power out whilst charging.

If it turns out to be, then its an unexpected bonus, but I'm not fussed either way.

Just as easy to top up phone and Edge unit in the evenings in the tent I imagine.

Certainly the Xiaomi batteries appear much better bang for buck compared to the pricy Bush & Muller I bought first but is now definitely overdue for replacement.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:12 am

rifraf wrote:Just as easy to top up phone and Edge unit in the evenings in the tent I imagine.
That is my approach. If I am on the Surly I top up the battery only whilst riding, otherwise it gets topped up whenever I am in town.
Andrew

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:45 am

Hi Ron,

I am just wondering if you have done many k's on the Fargo yet? How is it performing? My Marrakesh is going great.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Well, it's not my only bike. My Sabbath is a pleasure to ride and I'm alternating between them, so I'm just nudging 2000km.

And yes, it is going very well and I am delighted with it.

Initially I didn't much like the woodchipper bars, but the cowchippers have made a big difference.

I had been wondering about your Marrakesh. Something has me thinking you will be fargoing it for NZ... :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:08 pm

I am pleased to hear you are happy with your Fargo. I will still take the Marrakesh to NZ as I think the components are better quality than on the Fargo (if I ever receive it). You won't like this but I have just ordered 2" Mondials for the Marrakesh for NZ soI can run lower pressures.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Hehe - well that is up to you. But Marathons are quite a stiff tyre and probably not a good choice for low pressure running.

On the rocky Old Ghost Road you'll also need to have them mounted tubeless to avoid pinch flats.

Your Fargo has a very similar spec to mine and decent sized tyres.

If I had a choice for the OGR, I know what mine would be.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:43 pm

You have me thinking regarding the bike :shock:

The tyres that come with the Fargo, Rocket Ron are pretty crappy imo. I had them on a 29" MTB and I was continually fixing flats. Maybe I should put some Panaracer Comets on the Marrakesh. I had them on the hardtail MTB and they were really good. Maybe at least run one on the front.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:39 am

When I had a few issues with my Brooks Cambium C17 recently, I started casting around for another saddle (Brooks have since agreed to a warranty replacement).

While looking I noticed a model I wasn't aware of - the C19. According to Brooks: "For those in the market for a wider saddle for touring or city riding, the C19 offers all the advantages of the Cambium line in a width suitable for a more upright seated position."

Sounds just like a C17 only better, so I ordered one from charliethebikemonger and it arrived yesterday. By the way - thanks Charlie for the complimentary happy bottom bum butter.

Side-by-side with the C17, I'm buggered if I can see any difference in the overall width, but looking at the profile from behind I can see that it is flatter (or perhaps I should say the flat part is wider).

So it will be interesting to see how it rides.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:28 pm

I ended up buying a charge spoon while I am waiting to see what's happening with my c17.

Might have to research the c19

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:25 pm

Yeah, I tried a Fabric Scoop Radius Elite. Highly recommended by some MTB reviewers.

I didn't like it - but it certainly showed how good the Cambium saddles are. If only they last.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I ended up buying a charge spoon while I am waiting to see what's happening with my c17.

My replacement C17 arrived today from Monza Imports, whom I presume is the Oz distributor.

Did you forward your claim to Brooks?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:39 pm

I tried the C19 over the weekend - it seems quite comfortable if a little hard compared to my old C17, perhaps because of the flatter top.

But I wondered since the old C17 has stretched whether it has softened a little. Perhaps I should mount the replacement C17 for a comparison.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:48 pm

After this morning's ride I finally tackled a task I've been putting off for a while - changing the Soma Cazadero's for the Vittoria Mezcals I will use on tour. How to do this on my balcony without getting in a mess of sealant?

Luckily I have a tap and hose on the balcony so I decided to leave the hose running to flush away any spilled sealant, and then to wash the rest out of the tyre and rim. This method worked very well, but it still took an hour or so to get the job done and clean up.

The Mezcals mounted easily, and I'm impressed by their volume. It will be interesting to discover if they roll as well as claimed.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 pm

RonK wrote:After this morning's ride...............
The Mezcals mounted easily, and I'm impressed by their volume. It will be interesting to discover if they roll as well as claimed.
I'll look forward to your update

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:31 pm

RonK wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I ended up buying a charge spoon while I am waiting to see what's happening with my c17.

My replacement C17 arrived today from Monza Imports, whom I presume is the Oz distributor.

Did you forward your claim to Brooks?
Yeah still waiting though

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Fri May 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Yes Mugglechops you need to follow that seat up with Brooks, I honestly think you have a case to get a replacement

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 14, 2017 8:08 am

It's taken a while but my Fargo project has finally fulfilled its original intent - to ride the backroads and cycle trails of New Zealand. I have just completed a month long tour of the southern highlands, which covered parts of some of New Zealand's great rides, including the Otago Rail Trail, Alps 2 Ocean Trail, Around the Mountains Trail, Roxburgh Gorge Trail and Clutha Gold Trail, linked together by highways, back roads, an occasional shuttle bus and even a short train ride on the Taieri Gorge Railway.

Here is a dusty and travel-stained Grasshopper waiting patiently for me to finish my coffee in Frankton (Queenstown), after completing the Around the Mountains Trail.

After a month in the saddle I'm convinced that the Fargo is the most comfortable bike I have ever toured on. The fat Mezcals gave a lovely cushy ride, rolled nicely on the tarmac and gave plenty of grip on the gravel. I've always been reluctant to use fat tyres but these have won me over.

The bikepacking bags all worked very well, albeit the handlebar bag is a little fiddly to fit. But after a few days on the road I worked out the best loading routine and it became second nature. It's definitely not as quick and easy to mount as panniers, but well worth the few extra minutes it takes to get going. It's hard to imagine ever going back to heavyweight touring with a full set of racks and panniers now.

I think I'm still carry a bit much, but an autumn tour to the south of NZ demands 4-seasons gear. I probably could have carried less food, but there was hardly a single piece of my gear (except spare parts) that didn't get used.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun May 14, 2017 3:03 pm

RonK wrote:It's taken a while but my Fargo project has finally fulfilled its original intent - to ride the backroads and cycle trails of New Zealand.............
I look forward to perusing the write-up in your "Whispering Wheels" site. :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 14, 2017 7:55 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:It's taken a while but my Fargo project has finally fulfilled its original intent - to ride the backroads and cycle trails of New Zealand.............
I look forward to perusing the write-up in your "Whispering Wheels" site. :)
Well, a link to the tour journal has been up there since the week before I left, and also posted in the Touring Overseas sub-forum. :wink:

Just a summary post to come.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 31, 2017 5:28 am

I've been rereading some of your blog.

It brought back memories of Dunedin, which I used to visit regularly when I lived in Christchurch after staying in Karamea.

I remember the beautiful railway station but can't remember the tracks down Taieri Mouth way which is one of the places I used to stay, as well as Ravensbourne heading in the northern suburbs - a sign of ageing I guess.
I do remember the cold windswept beaches though and appreciating the coal range heated kitchen and the smell of the bread invariably made to accompany most meals by my friends lovely wife.

Its very early here at approx 3.22am.

I was wondering if the Fargo sported the C19 saddle for your trek?

I started to peruse your blog again to see if your mentioned summery post had been added.

I spotted your mention of a Tardis which I seem to have spotted elsewhere mentioned and supposed it was a bike bag which raised the question for me of where did you leave it when your travelled.

Could have saved myself some time by simply asking in the first place instead reading into the wee hours but there you go.

Oh and whilst the questions are flowing freely, what width tires were you running?
I spotted that you'd swapped out some for the journey, likely within this thread.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 31, 2017 9:41 am

rifraf wrote:I've been rereading some of your blog.

It brought back memories of Dunedin, which I used to visit regularly when I lived in Christchurch after staying in Karamea.

I remember the beautiful railway station but can't remember the tracks down Taieri Mouth way which is one of the places I used to stay, as well as Ravensbourne heading in the northern suburbs - a sign of ageing I guess.
I do remember the cold windswept beaches though and appreciating the coal range heated kitchen and the smell of the bread invariably made to accompany most meals by my friends lovely wife.

Its very early here at approx 3.22am.

I was wondering if the Fargo sported the C19 saddle for your trek?

I started to peruse your blog again to see if your mentioned summery post had been added.

I spotted your mention of a Tardis which I seem to have spotted elsewhere mentioned and supposed it was a bike bag which raised the question for me of where did you leave it when your travelled.

Could have saved myself some time by simply asking in the first place instead reading into the wee hours but there you go.

Oh and whilst the questions are flowing freely, what width tires were you running?
I spotted that you'd swapped out some for the journey, likely within this thread.
I'm surprised you find my journal so engrossing that you were reading it into the wee hours. :lol:

The journal was edited using Google's Blogger app on an iPad Mini, but I discovered too late that it has not been updated for several generations of the Apple iOS, and it crashed repeatedly. It made for a very frustrating process, so my posts were all fairly short with only a few pictures. But you probably noticed I have been correcting, enhancing and adding pictures and also added a post to cover the last couple of days. I still have not done the summary post yet, but it's coming. I'm thinking to add bike and gear review post as well.

The rail line branches not far from Taieri Mouth at the Wingatui Racecourse, soon after passing the site where the Carisbrook Stadium, once stood. And I know what you mean about the windswept beaches - I've been to St Clair and seen them myself. I don't think coal burning stoves are allowed anymore - at least I didn't notice that familiar smell of coal smoke. Except at the Millers Flat holiday park, where the hot water was produced by a coal-fired boiler.

The Tardis is a bike bag from Ground Effect in Christchurch. Usually I take a photo of the packed bag, but not this time unfortunately. Anyway the Tardis folds up quite small, so there are a couple of options for storage - one is to send it to myself poste restante, but since I was entering and leaving NZ at the same place I just made sure the Dunedin hotel I booked offered luggage storage facilities.

Yes, I did use the C19 this tour. It was fairly comfortable, but I'm yet to decide if it is more comfortable than the C17. I am pleased to say I wasn't troubled by saddle sores this time around, so maybe the C19 is the winner.

The tyres were tubeless 2.1 inch Vittoria Mezcals. I was very happy with their performance, they rolled quite well on sealed roads and gripped nicely on the dirt. I can't recall any moments, a single slip or slide from them. They were fairly cushy too, so absorbed the bumps nicely. And they held pressure so well I only got the pump out once to check during the whole tour.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 31, 2017 3:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:Hmmm, I just realised I've listed the wrong battery. I have the Xiaomi 16000mAh Power Bank.

And of course the final part of the complete system is the Anker 5-port 40W charger.

I don't think there is a list - as far as I know all Xiaomi Powerbanks have a pass-through circuit. But there are a lot of fakes out there which don't so make sure you buy a genuine one. Verify the security code to be sure.
For those interested in the Xiaomi Powerbanks this thread at Bushwalk Australia might be of interest. There is a link IIRC to a reliable Aussie supplier in the thread as well.
I just now pressed the button on a 20,000mAh version to complement my 10,000.
My plan is to charge the bigger one via the trailers E-werk whilst charging the 10,000 via the bikes one.

My original B&M cache battery unit is toast so I'm hoping the Xiaomi units will last at least as long.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:50 pm

RonK wrote: Yes, I did use the C19 this tour. It was fairly comfortable, but I'm yet to decide if it is more comfortable than the C17. I am pleased to say I wasn't troubled by saddle sores this time around, so maybe the C19 is the winner.
For those wanting to emulate RonKs original saddle choice (C17) albeit at a discounted price, SJS Cycles currently has the "Rust" price on special.
69.99 British Pounds + shipping minus VAT.

Also one for the wimminz (C17s)

I left a link here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25724&p=1407750#p1407750

No, don't thank me, just give me lots of money :lol: :lol: :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:18 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote: Yes, I did use the C19 this tour. It was fairly comfortable, but I'm yet to decide if it is more comfortable than the C17. I am pleased to say I wasn't troubled by saddle sores this time around, so maybe the C19 is the winner.
For those wanting to emulate RonKs original saddle choice (C17) albeit at a discounted price, SJS Cycles currently has the "Rust" price on special.
69.99 British Pounds + shipping minus VAT.

Also one for the wimminz (C17s)

I left a link here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25724&p=1407750#p1407750

No, don't thank me, just give me lots of money :lol: :lol: :lol:
My advice - if you don't like the colour don't worry it will fade away after only a short time.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:01 pm

G'day Ron,

I was looking at bells a while back and saw you'd invested in the Timber mountain bike bell for the Fargo, if memory serves.

Just wondering what your thoughts were on the bell now you've had it a while :?:

Talking to cyclist on the train recently who prompted my interest by him talking about being ticketed for not having one.

Thought I'd put a bell on my to do list and started with the thread within this forum on bells but then forgot about it again.

Had a prompt by nearly getting run down by a kid on a bike on the footpath today and thought I'd ask how you were getting on with it. :idea: :lol: :lol: