Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Aushiker

Re: Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:47 pm

RonK wrote:What became of the Evolution? Did you wear it out or pass it on? What was the quality like?
Sold or passed it on or I may still have it now that I think about it. Must check the storage shed! I "upgraded" to the Scarp 1.

Big Sky Products are good tents from my experience but they can be a pain to get. There has been in the past reports of persistent supply issues so I would be willing to accept a long lead time or double check that they actually have stock. The guy behind the brand whose name escapes me often travels to Asia so can be hard to contact. That said all my dealings with him in the past where positive, just sometimes a bit slow communication wise.

I did look at their offerings but got frustrated trying to put all the details together, e.g., weights if different options where selected; specifications etc.

He seems to be also running two websites with some information/models on one and not the other and often links going to 404 errors from the old website. I just gave up and went back to the Tarptent/SMD/Lightheart.

Also it looks like not a lot of product development has taken place since I first got my Evolution which is maybe not an issue anyway.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:08 am

Image from Massdrop.

If price is your driver over weight this offering at Massdrop might be of interest. It is a drop on a Marmot Limelight 2P Tent at a low price of US156.99, so ~ AU$257 delivered in Australia.

Keep in mind this beast of a tent weighs in at around 2.6 kg.
Andrew

avolve

Postby avolve » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 am

Aushiker wrote:Image
Image from Massdrop.

If price is your driver over weight this offering at Massdrop might be of interest. It is a drop on a Marmot Limelight 2P Tent at a low price of US156.99, so ~ AU$257 delivered in Australia.

Keep in mind this beast of a tent weighs in at around 2.6 kg.
For this price, seriously considering for +1 trips. Very good price (best I can find for the MSR Tour 2 is $600, which is very good in itself, and weight is comparable)

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Compact, light, cheap - an oxymoron surely? Well if you are looking for something light and packable to keep the bugs at bay on summer bikepacking trips, this might work for you.

Ultrapack SW - Single Wall, 670g, 20D Ripstop Nylon PU 3000mm

There is also a double wall version available.

Ultrapack DW - Double wall, 890g, 20D Ripstop Nylon PU3000mm
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 pm

On my bike shop and camping store trek in Sydney today I discovered a new store, which happens to be in Macpac's 2nd store next to their main one but....it ain't Macpac, they gave up their 2nd store and have been taken up by Montbell Outdoors.
Apparently it's Montbell's first store in Australia so I hope it does well in amongst huge competition.
Apparently distributed by Larry Adler Ski & Outdoor, this Japanese brand founded by a Japanese guy Tatsuno https://www.montbelloutdoor.com.au/about-us anyway, you can read about them here.

Now I'm no expert on outdoor gear like some of you here but it seems to be of a high quality and they have a huge market share in Japan. I particularly liked their inflatable sleeping mat that rolls down to the size of one of them large energy drink cans.
https://www.montbelloutdoor.com.au/ul-c ... ir-pad-180
or a self inflating model
https://www.montbelloutdoor.com.au/ul-c ... em-pad-180

I also liked their jackets, ..I think i need to lose more weight :lol: The XL's didn't quite fit my girth but they do seem to be a bit more roomy than some of the other top Adventure brands for their size.

Anyway,for those who live in Sydney, might be worth giving them a look through.

Cheers

brumby33
(Dave)
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 am

I am usually a quilt type of guy as being quite broad, sleeping bags and I don't usually get on. But when I want to go the sleeping bag route, my montbell spiral downhugger is just fantastic (I think its an 800 #5). Will need to drop in and have a look at the shop
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

uad782

Postby uad782 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Most of you have probably seen these but wondering what you think. It seems the Chinese are knocking ff the popular UL tents. The Naturehike brand seems to get pretty good reviews.

I am seriously considering getting a BA Copper Spur clone, the Naturehike Star River.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Natureh ... 09062.html

It also includes the footprint for around $160 aud compared to $700 for the big Agnes version.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:55 am

There has been some discussion about these on bushwalk.com. The comments seem mostly positive.

NatureHike Star River 2

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:47 pm

One of the members at the Bushwalking forums has a Nature Hike tent on ebay at the moment.
Andrew

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Andrew and Ron.

I really don’t know what sort of ul tent to get. So many choices. That’s why I was thinking of these.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:03 pm

uad782 wrote:Thanks Andrew and Ron.

I really don’t know what sort of ul tent to get. So many choices. That’s why I was thinking of these.
Well, you are not on your own there. I have tried quite a few different tents and still have found the perfect one. Andrew too I think.

For the money I can't see how you can go wrong even if it only lasts a couple of reasons. Just as long as it packs small enough and light enough to carry.

I have been mulling over the Big Agness Copper Spur HV UL 2. Not that I need a 2P tent, but I want 2 doors for ventilation.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Well the Copper spur is the clone I would buy. At the moment I don’t do enough camping to justify the real deal so I think I will push the button and order one.

If I need a rugged tent I still have my Olympus.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Don't know if this video is of any use to you......

Here Darren Alff compares 2 top one man tents, MSR Hubba & BA Copper Spur and his preferences and dislikes as he pretty much lives in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83RJPX1nClI

Cheers

brumby33
(Dave)
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Hubba Hubba has hub poles. That's an automatic scratching in my book.

The Copper Spur HV UL2 has some deficiencies but doesn't have hub poles. That is pretty much the reason it's worthy if consideration. And is reasonably priced compared to tents of similar specification.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:19 am

Doesn't the Copper Spur also have hubs at each end where one pole splits into two?

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:57 am

uad782 wrote:Doesn't the Copper Spur also have hubs at each end where one pole splits into two?
Only the 1P model - hence my comment that I was musing the 2P. If the 1P had straight poles, that's the one I'd be looking at.

If the 2P had hub poles I wouldn't even look at it.

For a 2P tent the Copper Spur HV UL2 weighs in at a very acceptable 1.4 kg packed.

Edit: Hmmmm - after taking another look it seems the Copper Spur HV UL2 does have a 4-way hub right on top. So I'll be passing.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 pm

One tent I'll definitely be taking a closer look at is the Zerogram El Chaltern 1.5P

It has all the attributes on my wish list:
- four seasons
- freestanding
- single pitch
- external poles
- 2 doors and vestibules
- footprint included
- packed weigh of 1.5kg includes 8 pegs, footprint, stuff sack and 2 extra guy lines.

The only other tents I've found with similar attributes are the Big Sky Revolution 1P and Chinook 1P, but footprint, pegs, guy lines are extras with Big Sky which makes them more expensive.

They are out of stock at the moment so will be keeping an eye for new stocks.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:01 pm

A bit of a review on the Intent Double Skin tent on the Bikepacking New Zealand facebook page - unsure if the url will work but is below

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bikepac ... 751165908/

test & pics finally of the Intent double skin tent. So I used it in the weekend camping at Whakamaru Reserve. It didn't rain, I had a flat spot and it was sheltered so will have to report back when tired it in different conditions. What I did find I really liked so far. It was easy to pack in my seat bag and had the poles which fitted nicely in the bottom of my Revelate Design 1/2 frame bag (think med). I also cut a survival foil sheet in half and used as a ground sheet to protect the floor (cheap, small n lite) but they do sell foot prints if you want. Found room enough inside for me 178cm on an Exped inflatable mattress didn't feel shut in. Nice and airy. No condensation in the morning either. Had nice touches too like little reflective tap on the snap button on the end of main zip to get out etc. Things to watch, it was a little fiddly to set up and get right but think will get better at it and it wouldn't like wind esp from the sides so needs sheltered spots and if any wind face the head of it into the wind. Over all really liked it, was cosy and slept really well so thumbs up so far and would recommend.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:33 pm

The Intent Double Skin looks good but no very robust if the wind were to hit it square on. I'm agree with Ron regarding not liking hubs on poles. However, it seems most tents rely on this system. Why can't anyone do a UL version of the Macpac Minaret.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:25 pm

On the topic of tents, how do you normally transport your tent poles? I used to strap them to my rear rack, but on the way home from one tripe, they fell off without my noticing and I have been searching for a more secure way to transport them ever since. I was thinking perhaps of a PVC pipe with threaded end-caps strapped to my top-tube.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:09 pm

My Exped Synmat UL 7S has blown its baffles and its time to move it on and for me to move on from Exped gear. Two of these mats have failed now, not interested in going for number three.

The top of my short list is a Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated AIr mat, size small, but interested in any feedback on the Klymit mats. I am a side sleeper so a bit curious about their O Zone ...

Anyway what is your current brand and model of mat? Self-inflating types only please.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:10 pm

My Exped Synmat UL 7S has blown its baffles and its time to move it on and for me to move on from Exped gear. Two of these mats have failed now, not interested in going for number three.

The top of my short list is a Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated AIr mat, size small, but interested in any feedback on the Klymit mats. I am a side sleeper so a bit wary about their O Zone ...

Anyway what is your current brand and model of mat? Self-inflating types only please.
Andrew

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:42 am

I have experience with a few different klymit mats (which I turned to after meeting identical issues with exped mats). The narrower ones (that have a tapered mummy design) are designed to be inserted within the sleeping bag. You can sleep on top of them but they have a tendency to pop out from them if you are a restless sleeper. The wider ones ypu sleep on normally. The ones I have experience with are the old versions with a twisty valve (which are susceptible to slow leaks and a bit of a pain in the butt to dismantle and clear). Their newer versions (apparently) use the same sort of plug valves as the exped (I never had any issues with slow leaks on the exped, even when using it contnuously for several weeks) ... it seems reasonable to hope that the new klymits share this same reliability(they may even share a compatibility with exped inflation sacks) ....if you go for the klymits, pay special attention to the valves in the pictures (especially if the price is dirt cheap) to determine whether you are getting old or new stock
Go!Run!GAH!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 am

Cheesewheel wrote:if you go for the klymits, pay special attention to the valves in the pictures (especially if the price is dirt cheap) to determine whether you are getting old or new stock
The ones I looked at seem to have the old type valve which had put me off them. Looking at the new mats they still seem to have these old style valves. I think I will pass on them for now.

EDIT: The mat being offered at Massdrop does have flat valves.

Andrew

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:47 am

One thing I found as a side sleeper was that the Klymits felt like I was going to roll off them. If you look at the V shaping, the midddle of the V is larger and maybe that does it. I found them so much less comfortable than the Downmat.

If you are in Sydney and want an old model Klymit give me a bell. I have insulated and non and I dunno I'll be using them again.