An ECR for me.

Mugglechops

An ECR for me.

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:30 pm

I have finally decided to build myself up an ECR. Usage will be commuting and a few overnighters plus some long 100km+ day rides.

I am pretty much decided on the build as I will just carry most parts over from my current wannabe ECR.

Going to order the frame through my lbs as there is not much difference in price versus online.

Only thing I haven't decided on is cranks and bottom bracket. Suggestions welcome :D

Dyno hub front wheel and knards are already here.

And the rest will come off my 2012 Trek Superfly, which is going back to being a SS.

Tim

Re: An ECR for me.

Postby Tim » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:50 pm

My bottom bracket choice would be something like this;

Fit it and then forget about it. Virtually bombproof.
Run a mile from press-fit of any description. Run a kilometre from external threaded types too.
None seem to be as reliable and durable as the old square tapered internal type BB.
Plenty of compatible crankset options still available to fit square tapers.

Edit; don't buy that particular model with the plastic threaded sleeve. Equivalent steel or maybe aluminium alternatives are readily available

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:09 pm

I am thinking of going that way as I do sometimes dunk my bike in water when I shouldn't. Plus square taper worked fine on every bike owned from 1982 to around 2003 when I went to ISIS drive.

I have press fit currently, first died after about 500kms second one has around 9500kms on it.

I did this about 1000kms ago but it still seems to be working which is suprising.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:15 pm

I think that your choice in crank and BB has already been decided since you're going with 29x3.0" Knard tyres. For that size tyre chainlines get more complicated.

With my ECR build I started out with an XT triple crankset and 2.4" tyres; when I swapped to 3" tyres the chainline was wrong and the chain (as well as the rear tip of the front derailleur) was running across the knobblies. Now you could move the wheel back a little in the horizontal dropouts (some people have used Monkey Nuts to make this easier) but the chainline may be still compromised and you probably will have to use a crankset suited to more outboard chainrings. I went for Surly's OD crankset but there are other options. Not sure if any in square-taper BB though. And I had to change the front derailleur, with the smaller chainrings the old triple derailleur couldn't be lowered enough on the seattube before it hit the chainstay; you'd need a double not triple front derailleur. That's the path that I went down, I'm not saying that you need to do exactly the same, only that you need to get the frame, load the rear wheel and Knard in and take measurements, check the chainline then work out what will fit and function.

Mind you, the 3" tyres are worth the trouble.
Last edited by just4tehhalibut on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:22 pm

These off-road build threads really interest me.
Sooner or later I'll be free of work, family, property and material commitments and able to take off for an extended length of time. Until then I'm stuck and only able to clear off for a week or so (max) at a time, once or twice a year.
Fully loaded, off-road capable, long time and distance is my goal. The mental vision of the ideal bike is taking shape but there are so many choices.
The ECR, Ogre, Nomad and Fargo are topping the list courtesy of this forum.
Mugglechops, are you planning on bikepacking or fully-loaded? Derailleur or Rohloff?
Tell me more.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:03 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:I think that your choice in crank and BB has already been decided since you're going with 29x3.0" Knard tyres. For that size tyre chainlines get more complicated.

With my ECR build I started out with an XT triple crankset and 2.4" tyres; when I swapped to 3" tyres the chainline was wrong and the chain (as well as the rear tip of the front derailleur) was running across the knobblies. Now you could move the wheel back a little in the horizontal dropouts (some people have used Monkey Nuts to make this easier) but the chainline may be still compromised and you probably will have to use a crankset suited to more outboard chainrings. I went for Surly's OD crankset but there are other options. Not sure if any in square-taper BB though. And I had to change the front derailleur, with the smaller chainrings the old triple derailleur couldn't be lowered enough on the seattube before it hit the chainstay; you'd need a double not triple front derailleur. That's the path that I went down, I'm not saying that you need to do exactly the same, only that you need to get the frame, load the rear wheel and Knard in and take measurements, check the chainline then work out what will fit and function.

Mind you, the 3" tyres are worth the trouble.
I am a fan of 1x10 so will probably just stick with that. I did see this video which would probably work for me for the times I needed the low gear.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:17 pm

Tim wrote:These off-road build threads really interest me.
Sooner or later I'll be free of work, family, property and material commitments and able to take off for an extended length of time. Until then I'm stuck and only able to clear off for a week or so (max) at a time, once or twice a year.
Fully loaded, off-road capable, long time and distance is my goal. The mental vision of the ideal bike is taking shape but there are so many choices.
The ECR, Ogre, Nomad and Fargo are topping the list courtesy of this forum.
Mugglechops, are you planning on bikepacking or fully-loaded? Derailleur or Rohloff?
Tell me more.
I would love to do multiple days too but I am the same as you. Probably just overnighters and a 4 or 5 day trip once a year.

At the moment looking at a 1x10 build and a bike packing setup with maybe a front rack. It will double as a commuter and towing my son around bike too.

I did the sums on the Rohloff and it's a lot of chains and cassettes for the mileage I do.

Even my never cleaned chain and cassette last me easily 7000kms before replacement. Which is a year of riding.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:07 am

Well I look forward to hearing all about it.
Where will you source your frame?
I see both bike24 and hibike.com carry Surly frames and was disappointed to see it appears Jenson has stopped.
I got my Ogre frame and rims from Jenson luckily before the dollar tanked and Surly got funny about online sales to Australia.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:54 pm

rifraf wrote:Well I look forward to hearing all about it.
I see both bike24 and hibike.com carry Surly frames and was disappointed to see it appears Jenson has stopped.
I got my Ogre frame and rims from Jenson luckily before the dollar tanked and Surly got funny about online sales to Australia.
I plan on sourcing the frame through my lbs as it's only about $100 more than online.

It will just take longer to get here.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:11 pm

Mugglechops wrote: Only thing I haven't decided on is cranks and bottom bracket. Suggestions welcome :D

Did you buy the wheelset complete? Can you share any more info on rim width / type etc?

I see you've talked about 1x10 but I'm still old fashioned enough to want 2x10 on a fully loaded bike. Can you describe the whole drivetrain?

E

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:17 am

rifraf wrote:Well I look forward to hearing all about it.
Tell me about it! Trying to find some Surly Extraterrestrial tyres online is impossible...

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:45 pm

I'd thought that the Surly Extraterrestrials weren't available yet until a mate told me today that he'd been into his LBS in Freo and they'd ordered some. SCV Imports, the Surly distributor had at least two tyres in stock. No idea on the local price.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:04 pm

What does Surly gain from stopping the internet sales of its products?
I'd have thought less sales and thus less revenue.
I'm sure I'm missing something.......

I'm not going to suddenly buy local "if" I'm going to feel gouged by their prices.
I'll simply buy a different brand of which there is ample of to choose from these days.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:13 pm

Espresso_ wrote:
Mugglechops wrote: Only thing I haven't decided on is cranks and bottom bracket. Suggestions welcome :D

Did you buy the wheelset complete? Can you share any more info on rim width / type etc?

I see you've talked about 1x10 but I'm still old fashioned enough to want 2x10 on a fully loaded bike. Can you describe the whole drivetrain?

E
I got the front wheel from Cheeky Transport. Its an SP PD 8 dyno hub matched to a Velocity Dually 45mm with 32 spokes. Haven't got the rear yet but will be getting another Dually rim matched to a Novatec hub with most likley 36 spokes.

I will be running my current setup of Zee rear mech with an 11-36 cassette and going down to a 34 N/W chainring from my current 36. I went to this setup from running 34-18 SS so the extra gears are great. I have been running 1x10 on this for the past 6000kms and never dropped a chain. For cranks I will probably rob my Reign of it's Race Face Evolve XC ones for now until I save up for something better.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:16 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:I'd thought that the Surly Extraterrestrials weren't available yet until a mate told me today that he'd been into his LBS in Freo and they'd ordered some. SCV Imports, the Surly distributor had at least two tyres in stock. No idea on the local price.
I got my Knards off a mate who bought some for a 29er+ project that never happened. I was pretty keen on Maxxis Chronicles but the reviews are a bit mixed.

They are heavy suckers when you have to ride 6kms uphill to work after picking them up :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Mugglechops wrote:They are heavy suckers when you have to ride 6kms uphill to work after picking them up :D
I'll bet they feel even heavier after you do a 100km ride on them. :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:43 pm

Mugglechops wrote: I got my Knards off a mate who bought some for a 29er+ project that never happened. I was pretty keen on Maxxis Chronicles but the reviews are a bit mixed.

They are heavy suckers when you have to ride 6kms uphill to work after picking them up :D
Whats the top tube bag called?
I'd heard mention in one of the threads of a bag described as a gas tank and short of searching the threads thought I'd simply ask.
What determined your purchase choice i.e. brand/style etc?
I'm thinking about something of similar ilk to complement my panniers. Something for maybe keys and a snack.
I'm planning on taking my camera in my handlebar bag next trip and don't want keys etc bouncing around amongst my lenses.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:31 pm

Normally called a gas tank yes. Mine is the bbd garage bag. I went with it because he made it to match my frame bag. It just needs to fade a little. His new Jones bar bag is on the way in matching colour too.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:34 pm

RonK wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:They are heavy suckers when you have to ride 6kms uphill to work after picking them up :D
I'll bet they feel even heavier after you do a 100km ride on them. :)
Currently running Maxxis Hookworms so not much difference :D :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:43 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Normally called a gas tank yes. Mine is the bbd garage bag. I went with it because he made it to match my frame bag. It just needs to fade a little. His new Jones bar bag is on the way in matching colour too.
I did consider the different attractive Jones bar bags, but I like being able to utilise the different hand positions too much and decided I could do without the encumbrance. However I acknowledge the utility of the storage they add but it would, for me, detract from my purchase reasoning.

I look forward to your pics :)

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:20 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:I'd thought that the Surly Extraterrestrials weren't available yet until a mate told me today that he'd been into his LBS in Freo and they'd ordered some. SCV Imports, the Surly distributor had at least two tyres in stock. No idea on the local price.
Commuter Cycles have them in stock... $120 a piece...plus postage...

Universal Cycles online have them at $60 US each but the $60 US postage kills it...

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Mugglechops wrote: I will be running my current setup of Zee rear mech with an 11-36 cassette and going down to a 34 N/W chainring from my current 36. I went to this setup from running 34-18 SS so the extra gears are great. I have been running 1x10 on this for the past 6000kms and never dropped a chain. For cranks I will probably rob my Reign of it's Race Face Evolve XC ones for now until I save up for something better.
How does your 1x gearing compare, RonK?

E

RonK

An ECR for me.

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:34 pm

Espresso_ wrote:
Mugglechops wrote: I will be running my current setup of Zee rear mech with an 11-36 cassette and going down to a 34 N/W chainring from my current 36. I went to this setup from running 34-18 SS so the extra gears are great. I have been running 1x10 on this for the past 6000kms and never dropped a chain. For cranks I will probably rob my Reign of it's Race Face Evolve XC ones for now until I save up for something better.
How does your 1x gearing compare, RonK?

E
I'm not going 1x on my Fargo, it will be 2x10.

A 34x36 gear is way, way too high for me - I'd never get up hills on that.

Aushiker has gone 1x, but I think the narrower range works ok on a fatbike using a 42t low gear. I feel it's a bit too narrow for mixed road use.

I'll be using 36x22 front, 11-36 rear.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:47 pm

My experience with gear ratio:

I survived NZ with a low gear of 34x36, but i'll be lowering that to 30x36 for my next trip, lower if my braze on allows. 2x10 so my top end will be more than enough except for those occasions i'm going downhill with a 30km/h tailwind.

I never had to walk up sealed climbs, anything above 10% was hard, but I just got very good at riding out of the saddle as efficiently as possible. Unsealed is another matter, but I only struggled on bad surfaces in excess of 10%.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:42 pm

Sold my cx bike today so will be ordering the ecr frame this week.

Bike Bag Dude Jones bar bag turned up too. Photos later.