Massdrop

RonK

Massdrop

Postby RonK » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:28 pm

For those that haven't yet heard of Massdrop, here is a way to buy certain goods at heavily discounted prices. You can even nominate specific goods you wish to buy and if there is sufficient interest a bulk purchase may be negotiated.

Recently I bought an award winning Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer down jacket at half the RRP.

The latest offering to catch my eye is this tenkara fly rod kit.

Warning: This site could seriously deplete your credit.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Re: Massdrop

Postby Tim » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:46 pm

RonK wrote:Warning: This site could seriously deplete your credit.
It already has.
Enlightened Equipment quilt about 12 months ago.
Not cheap but I saved about $50.00 after an expected wait.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Another excellent half-price deal on Massdrop - Rab Microlight Alpine Jacket. Like the Ghost Whisperer, just the ticket for ultralight bikepacking.

More information on the Rab website.

4 days to go...

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:06 am

RonK any idea how long things take to come? There seems to be several steps before final delivery.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:10 am

BenGr wrote:RonK any idea how long things take to come? There seems to be several steps before final delivery.
Yes, the bulk order is delivered to Massdrop where it is broken down into the individual orders and dispatched.

Then the usual shipping times would apply.

Massdrop keep you posted every step of the way. Personally I don't want to be bombarded with email but if you are the impatient type it may keep you happy.

It probably depends on how promptly the manufacturer delivers, but I would allow up to a month after the drop closes.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:55 am

RonK wrote:
BenGr wrote:RonK any idea how long things take to come? There seems to be several steps before final delivery.
Yes, the bulk order is delivered to Massdrop where it is broken down into the individual orders and dispatched.

Then the usual shipping times would apply.

Massdrop keep you posted every step of the way. Personally I don't want to be bombarded with email but if you are the impatient type it may keep you happy.

It probably depends on how promptly the manufacturer delivers, but I would allow up to a month after the drop closes.
Cheers. 2 months until I head off so should be fine...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:41 pm

Just to enlighten on the timeline...

20/03 - received confirmation on joining the drop.
21/03 - received confirmation that the drop had closed.
25/03 - received confirmation that the bulk order had been placed.
29/03 - received advice that Massdrop were still waiting for order confirmation.
30/03 - received advice that the bulk order had been dispatched to Massdrop.
01/04 - received advice that my order has been dispatched by DHL Global Mail.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:25 pm

The Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer down jacket I ordered in a massdrop arrived today. So that took exactly a month since I joined the drop.

On collecting it from my parcel locker I was astonished at the whisp-like weight of the parcel.

I had ordered my normal size and was pleased with the fit. It is cut quite long to cover the hips, and the arms reach down over the wrists - just what I want from a jacket. And it fits comfortably around my girth with being baggy.

So that's another item of my bikepacking inventory ticked off..

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:49 pm

Theres still no mention of a repeat drop despite over 230 requests.

I was surprised to hear too the prices are in US dollars as more than one thing I've contemplated buying has been easily cheaper to find elsewhere especially when postage is added.

Pleased to hear about the great communication as I'm one of those easily frustrated by not knowing whats going on in a purchase.
Long waits are fine for me when accompanied by clear communication.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:53 pm

rifraf wrote:Theres still no mention of a repeat drop despite over 230 requests.

I was surprised to hear too the prices are in US dollars as more than one thing I've contemplated buying has been easily cheaper to find elsewhere especially when postage is added.

Pleased to hear about the great communication as I'm one of those easily frustrated by not knowing whats going on in a purchase.
Long waits are fine for me when accompanied by clear communication.
That may depend on if/when the Massdrop buyers are able to negotiate another price deal with the manufacturer.

I'm surprised that you didn't realize the pricing is in $US. The flag on the web site only indicates the cost of shipping to Australia.

So yes, not every drop is going to be a bargain. But it seems to me that the shipping price is much lower than most online merchants.

Also, the price may depend on the number of takers as well.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:48 pm

RonK wrote: That may depend on if/when the Massdrop buyers are able to negotiate another price deal with the manufacturer.

I'm surprised that you didn't realize the pricing is in $US. The flag on the web site only indicates the cost of shipping to Australia.

So yes, not every drop is going to be a bargain. But it seems to me that the shipping price is much lower than most online merchants.

Also, the price may depend on the number of takers as well.
Yes negotiations would unlikely be at the drop of a hat and having just completed a drop on the Ghost Whisperer, its not likely to be at the top of the list of things to do.

It was likely the flag that caused me the confusion in the first place.
I was too quick to assume that the flag was associated with the currency. :oops:

As for the price, it was only a couple of things I checked whose online price elsewhere I was somewhat familiar with like the Kovea Spider.
No biggie and it hasn't stopped me from returning to the page.

I'm internally debating the merits of a few items on the Massdrop page.

Glad that you pointed it out for us all :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:20 pm

I've got the Rab down jacket on its way, and hopefully I worked out that massdrop was the cheapest option (not hugely though, maybe as low as $20 cheaper after shipping).

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:51 am

Well My Rab Jacket arrived today. From joining on the 6th i'm very impressed by the turnaround!

Fits not too bad, could have gone smaller I think, but it'll do fine. Wrong weather in Melbourne this week to try it out though...

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:53 am

The RAB Boreas Pull-On is currently on offer for a few more hours so if you're quick you can get on the drop.

It's never been clear to me exactly what a windshirt is, but according to RAB - " the Boreas Pull-On is a light-weight, highly breathable windshell, designed to provide protection for fast-and-light mountain use."

It occurs to me that such a garment would be very handy as a bikepacking layer. I'm not so keen on the hood, but RAB also offer the hoodless Ventus Pull-On. I think I'll keep my eye out for one.

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:41 pm

Interesting concept ronk. Shipping pricing is generally rediculous from the US. I assume they are benifiting from bulk shipping?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:21 pm

koshari wrote:Interesting concept ronk. Shipping pricing is generally rediculous from the US. I assume they are benifiting from bulk shipping?
I doubt there are any bulk shipping opportunities for goods sent to Australia. However, shipping from the US can be quite reasonable. I've long suspected that to attract buyers many US web merchants lead with very low retail prices which are then bolstered by inflated shipping charges.

Presumably Massdrop does not need to inflate the shipping charge to subsidise the selling price.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 pm

The SOL Escape Lite Bivvy is currently on offer. Price $US25.99 + $US8.50 shipping.

This is apparently the bivvy of choice for racers on the Tour Divide.

For the money I'm tempted to order one.It's a bargian vs local prices...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:15 pm

RonK wrote:The SOL Escape Lite Bivvy is currently on offer. Price $US25.99 + $US8.50 shipping.
There might be one for sale on Bikepacking Australia (Facebook) IIRC. I think there are alternatives which may be a better option for repeated use.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:28 am

If you are interested in Massdrop having more cycling related drops please add your voice to the community discussion ...
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:23 am

I am now engaging in my first customer service experience with Massdrop due to a problem with a Lanier fountain pen I purchased from them, my experience to date (receiving a stock reply requesting a photo or video which will not show my problem any better than the very detailed explanation already provided) is not very encouraging. As a minimum I would expect them to actually read the email sent and to respond in a manner that show this ... stock replies requesting something which adds no value is nothing more than at best delaying tactic and treats the customer as if they lack integrity.

I will wait to see how this pans out before dealing any further with Massdrop I think.
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:27 am

Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed

I'm a warm sleeper and most often use my sleeping bag as a quilt, and have for several years eyed-off the various quilt offerings, but have never been convinced about the fussy strap arrangements they use to attach to a sleeping mat.

But the backcountry bed seems an innovative alternative - sort of half quilt, half sleeping bag with a very secure way of attaching to a pad.

The Elite 850 version has an EN comfort limit of 39° F (4° C) and an EN lower limit of 30° F (-1° C). Pretty much the same rating as the Marmot Hydrogen mummy bag I currently use. This would be plenty warm enough for the temps I'd expect to encounter on tour.

It weighs just 0.76 kg in the regular size. Packed size is 17.8 x 38.1 cm but no doubt could be compressed smaller. Fits pads 51 cm wide x 6.4 cm thick.

Tempting...

avolve

Postby avolve » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:54 pm

RonK wrote:Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed

I'm a warm sleeper and most often use my sleeping bag as a quilt, and have for several years eyed-off the various quilt offerings, but have never been convinced about the fussy strap arrangements they use to attach to a sleeping mat.

But the backcountry bed seems an innovative alternative - sort of half quilt, half sleeping bag with a very secure way of attaching to a pad.

The Elite 850 version has an EN comfort limit of 39° F (4° C) and an EN lower limit of 30° F (-1° C). Pretty much the same rating as the Marmot Hydrogen mummy bag I currently use. This would be plenty warm enough for the temps I'd expect to encounter on tour.

It weighs just 0.76 kg in the regular size. Packed size is 17.8 x 38.1 cm but no doubt could be compressed smaller. Fits pads 51 cm wide x 6.4 cm thick.

Tempting...
Might be interested it it wasn't filled with duck-goose bits...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:37 pm

avolve wrote:Might be interested it it wasn't filled with duck-goose bits...
Your choice. I wouldn't be interested if it didn't.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:43 pm

Do you have to be signed up to look at the goods you folk link too?

Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:22 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Do you have to be signed up to look at the goods you folk link too?

Ricky
Yes, but there is no hassle about signing up.