Pre Stann'ed tubes

Mulga Bill

Pre Stann'ed tubes

Postby Mulga Bill » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:50 pm

G'day everyone

Ive got some tubes for my fat bike that I pre filled with Stan's sealant 2 years ago for a trip. They haven't been used at all, would there be any problem with using them now, or should I refill the tubes? The stan's is still liquid inside

Thanks for the advice

RonK

Re: Pre Stann'ed tubes

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Is the sealant still liquid after two years? I always thought it was only good for about six months.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:07 pm

I've got a feeling that was the case back in the good old days when tubeless tyres were as porous as, water vapour could migrate through the tyre... I haven't had any issues with newer tubeless tyres, and I suspect tubes, which are designed to be non porous, are the same.

Mulga Bill

Postby Mulga Bill » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:59 pm

yes its still liquid inside. I probably should draw some out through the valve and do a bit of a check on it I guess. I suppose I could put some in a dish next to some fresh stans and time any difference between the 2 solidifying.

Of cause it might be easier to just prep a new set of tubes.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:42 am

I'd do a check. It may still be liquid but I would expect at least partial decomposition over that period of time.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Is it possible to add sealant to tubes with a presta valve?

Perhaps I should have asked if it was easily added?

:D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:30 pm

rifraf wrote:Is it possible to add sealant to tubes with a presta valve?

Yes, if you have tubes with removable cores.

Tubeless valve stems are typically presta and have a removable core. You can get a syringe with a presta connector for filling.

Stans Sealant Injector

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:39 pm

RonK wrote:

Tubeless valve stems are typically presta and have a removable core. You can get a syringe with a presta connector for filling.

Stans Sealant Injector
Thanks for the info and link Ron.

Which setup have you opted for with the Fargo?

I'm struggling to make my mind up as to go with one of the tubeless setups or simply to add some goop to my tubes.

I'm not entirely sure I want to deal with the mess.

I want to pull finger though and be ready for a trip as soon as the rains calm down some.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:21 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:

Stans Sealant Injector
Thanks for the info and link Ron.

Which setup have you opted for with the Fargo?

I'm struggling to make my mind up as to go with one of the tubeless setups or simply to add some goop to my tubes.

I'm not entirely sure I want to deal with the mess.

I want to pull finger though and be ready for a trip as soon as the rains calm down some.
I've gone the full Stan. Stans rims, rim tape, valve stem, and sealant.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:31 pm

RonK wrote: I've gone the full Stan. Stans rims, rim tape, valve stem, and sealant.

Thanks for the prompt response.

I've been scrolling back through a few threads and in your Fargo thread just before spotted:
RonK wrote:
The tyres were tubeless 2.1 inch Vittoria Mezcals. I was very happy with their performance, they rolled quite well on sealed roads and gripped nicely on the dirt. I can't recall any moments, a single slip or slide from them. They were fairly cushy too, so absorbed the bumps nicely. And they held pressure so well I only got the pump out once to check during the whole tour.
So it sounds like your setup is a success

Anything you'd change looking back?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote: I've gone the full Stan. Stans rims, rim tape, valve stem, and sealant.

Thanks for the prompt response.

I've been scrolling back through a few threads and in your Fargo thread just before spotted:
RonK wrote:
The tyres were tubeless 2.1 inch Vittoria Mezcals. I was very happy with their performance, they rolled quite well on sealed roads and gripped nicely on the dirt. I can't recall any moments, a single slip or slide from them. They were fairly cushy too, so absorbed the bumps nicely. And they held pressure so well I only got the pump out once to check during the whole tour.
So it sounds like your setup is a success

Anything you'd change looking back?
No, wouldn't change a thing. :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:17 am

I had a crack tonight utilising the method outlined here:

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/g ... ks.240026/

which is utilising a 406 tube which is split down the middle.

My wheels are 622 Velocity Dyad rims.

I managed to get the front wheel to seal (so far) without a compressor and a 2.30 x 700 Exiwolf tire as part of my foray into tubeless experimentation.

Took a little bit of playing around to get it to pressure up with only a small hand pump but an hour and a half later it appears to be holding the 30 psi I chucked at it.

Its late and I'm hitting the hay but I'll check the tire pressure in the morning and leave an update as to whether or not its still holding any air.

If it is, I'll put it back on the bike and take it for a ride before reporting the outcome and hopefully not having to push the bike home. :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:02 pm

The tire stayed up, retained all but a couple of psi of its initial pressure and lacked the pin prick weeping I'd observed in online experiments of a similar nature.

Come evening and no further loss of pressure, I went for a quick 10 km ride to see if it might suffer speedy catastrophic failure prematurely.

I've just gone downstairs in order to make a fresh coffee and am pleased to report the tire is still up.

I think that the experiment has proved to be successful enough to justify my trying to do the rear wheel/tire next.

I'm looking at this with slightly less enthusiasm due to rear removal of an Ogres IGH wheel being a little more problematic than a front.

I'll get it done in the next day or so and report back as to my findings.

I'm hoping to have come up with a solution less vulnerable to the thorns which seem to currently abound in my locale this year for some reason and which have seen my last three rides pushing the bike home due to punctures.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:22 pm

RonK wrote:

As an experiment I filled a roadie tube with some Stans with a standard (non removable) valve core. Pumped it in with a syringe via a tube over the valve. Didn't get any punctures in the tube that I can remember but it did gum up the valve and topping up was a case of building up enough pressure to blow the plug back into the tube first.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.