Garmin Edge 1000 Explore or Edge 820 Explore or do nothing

Aushiker

Garmin Edge 1000 Explore or Edge 820 Explore or do nothing

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:13 pm

My eyesight is getting to the point where I am finding navigating with my Edge 810 a bit of hard work so since I am placing an order on Bike24 for various items including an, ouch SON 28 15 150 dynamo I was thinking that an Garmin Edge 1000 Explore (don't need the Garmin Edge 1000 features) might be a worthwhile upgrade.

Anyone have experience with an Edge 1000, particularly the screen size/resolution from a navigating perspective; more so if you are glasses wearer?

Even an Edge 820 Explore might be in the mix IF the screen is that much better than the Edge 810.

The bottom line is http://Bike24.com have the Garmin Edge 1000 Explore for AU$444 and the Edge 820 Explore is $336 so not a huge difference.

The Edge 1030 is a different matter and given I use a dynamo the extra battery life is not an issue for me.

Thoughts?
Andrew

am50em

Re: Garmin Edge 1000 Explore or Edge 820 Explore or do nothing

Postby am50em » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Hammerhead Karoo?
http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/news/a ... ter-49819/
Karoo 3.5 inch 640x480
1000 3.0 inch 240x400
1030 3.5 inch 282x470

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:43 pm

I recall reading up on the edge 1000 when it first came out that even though the unit is bigger (than the 800 series) the screen display itself was only minutely larger (the 1000 had a comparitively larger border area for the display area)
Go!Run!GAH!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:01 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:I recall reading up on the edge 1000 when it first came out that even though the unit is bigger (than the 800 series) the screen display itself was only minutely larger (the 1000 had a comparitively larger border area for the display area)
The Edge 1000 display area is 39.0 x 65.0 mm whereas my Edge 810 is 37 x 56mm so the Edge 1000 is marginally wider but quite a bit longer.

RonK has suggested the Wahoo Element which is 68.6mm sized display compared to the Edge 1000 at 76mm and my Edge 810 at 66 mm. Not sure of the resolution specs but. The Wahoo Element has a black and white display which is not ideal in my view. Pricing is $500 so more expensive than the Edge 1000 ex Germany.
Andrew

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Cheesewheel wrote:I recall reading up on the edge 1000 when it first came out that even though the unit is bigger (than the 800 series) the screen display itself was only minutely larger (the 1000 had a comparitively larger border area for the display area)
The Edge 1000 display area is 39.0 x 65.0 mm whereas my Edge 810 is 37 x 56mm so the Edge 1000 is marginally wider but quite a bit longer.

RonK has suggested the Wahoo Element which is 68.6mm sized display compared to the Edge 1000 at 76mm and my Edge 810 at 66 mm. Not sure of the resolution specs but. The Wahoo Element has a black and white display which is not ideal in my view. Pricing is $500 so more expensive than the Edge 1000 ex Germany.
I found the Wahoo Elemnt screen much easier to read than a Garmin thanks to the much higher contrast of the black and white display versus the colour display.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:13 pm

biker jk wrote:I found the Wahoo Elemnt screen much easier to read than a Garmin thanks to the much higher contrast of the black and white display versus the colour display.
Thanks. That is helpful information. I have seen one video which shows it being very easy to read. I just need to get a better understanding of how it works in terms of route changes when you are out of a ride, e.g., on my forthcoming ride I may have to change my route some days depending on the riding conditions (roads closed, impassable tracks etc). It seems this has to be done on the phone but I am not sure yet whether this can be done when out of range.

In theory I assume yes as long as the Google maps are downloaded for offline use but need to confirm that.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:49 pm

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:58 am

Screen size on the 1000 unit didn't seem to be the size improvement that I had been hoping for. :|

I haven't spent a lot of energy on it but the "power in" is underneath in a different position to the 800 unit, appearing hard to access.

Despite owning the 1000 for some time, I've thus far charged if off the bike and not utilised my dynohub unlike my 800 unit. :(

I upgraded mainly due to my age declining eyesight and inability to read the maps on my 800.

I'm not familiar with the Explore version.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks Aidan for the feedback. I have pretty much settled on the Wahoo I think; they appear to on the ball with regular updates and are listening to their users. I do like the Bolt but the screen size is a concern.

As to charging I tend to charge in the tent overnight using my battery and charge the battery whilst riding so the position of the microUSB connector is less of a concern.
Andrew

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:29 am

Aushiker wrote:Thanks Aidan for the feedback. I have pretty much settled on the Wahoo I think; they appear to on the ball with regular updates and are listening to their users. I do like the Bolt but the screen size is a concern.

As to charging I tend to charge in the tent overnight using my battery and charge the battery whilst riding so the position of the microUSB connector is less of a concern.
The usb charging port being on the bottom is actually better if charging while riding since a port on the front risks rain moving down the cable into the port. I've charged my Elemnt while riding without problem.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:58 pm

biker jk wrote: The usb charging port being on the bottom is actually better if charging while riding since a port on the front risks rain moving down the cable into the port. I've charged my Elemnt while riding without problem.
Where do you mount it? I assumed being underneath that if it is stem mounted it wouldn't be possible anyway. Have I got that wrong?

BTW do you have the Elemnt or the Elemnt Bolt? If the Elemnt how do you find the backlighting? Apparently it is quite dim compared to the Elemnt Bolt.
Andrew

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:
biker jk wrote: The usb charging port being on the bottom is actually better if charging while riding since a port on the front risks rain moving down the cable into the port. I've charged my Elemnt while riding without problem.
Where do you mount it? I assumed being underneath that if it is stem mounted it wouldn't be possible anyway. Have I got that wrong?

BTW do you have the Elemnt or the Elemnt Bolt? If the Elemnt how do you find the backlighting? Apparently it is quite dim compared to the Elemnt Bolt.
I have the Elemnt not the bolt. I use an after market out-front mount. The out-front which comes with the Elemnt makes getting the USB cable in tricky while on the mount because the mount arm gets in the way. The after market mount I have has the arm on the other side and so it doesn't block the USB port.

On the backlighting I've only used it once and it was fine. It's not automatic like on a Garmin but can be set to on, off or 5 sec.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:01 pm

biker jk wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

I have the Elemnt not the bolt. I use an after market out-front mount. The out-front which comes with the Elemnt makes getting the USB cable in tricky while on the mount because the mount arm gets in the way. The after market mount I have has the arm on the other side and so it doesn't block the USB port.

On the backlighting I've only used it once and it was fine. It's not automatic like on a Garmin but can be set to on, off or 5 sec.
Nope it can be set to any period. I have mine set on 20 seconds. 5 seconds is just the default.
The USB port is accessible even using the standard mount, but with so long battery life I see no need to expose the charging port to weather while riding.
The Bolt may be brighter, but the standard Elemnt is plenty bright enough for me.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

avolve

Postby avolve » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Aushiker wrote:
I am looking for similar info, looking for suitable options.

After watching this video, I come back (again) to why not just use my iPhone?? Seems like a much cheaper option giving I already have one. Only looking for maps and route details.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:35 pm

avolve wrote:After watching this video, I come back (again) to why not just use my iPhone?? Seems like a much cheaper option giving I already have one. Only looking for maps and route details.
I am sure that is an option and from what I have seen around the place some folks do it. I personally don't use my phone as a computer, at least not touring and even really for local rides if I do it is put away and simply recording.

Touring wise it is not something I would currently consider for the following reasons:

(1) Battery life ... I would need to be running http://ridewithgps.com or the like to be both track my ride and for navigation purposes;
(2) I am not keen on having my phone exposed to the weather day in day out despite it being a Samsung Galaxy S8;
(3) I do a lot of dirt road/track touring; crashing, hitting tree branches; not making it through a "puddle" is not unusual. Not keen on my phone been put at greater risk of serious damage in such situations;
(4) Finally and most important my phone is part of my emergency kit. I want it charged up as much as possible and functional (subject to range of course) through out the day. Just not willing to risk it for ~$370 over the life of a GPS unit.

YMMV of course.
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:39 pm

biker jk wrote:I have the Elemnt not the bolt. I use an after market out-front mount. The out-front which comes with the Elemnt makes getting the USB cable in tricky while on the mount because the mount arm gets in the way. The after market mount I have has the arm on the other side and so it doesn't block the USB port.

Thanks. Touring it is unlikely I will need to charge it on the bike but I hope to get back into Audax riding so 200km + rides may require an on the bike charging option. Will look at mounts then.
Andrew

avolve

Postby avolve » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Aushiker wrote:
avolve wrote:After watching this video, I come back (again) to why not just use my iPhone?? Seems like a much cheaper option giving I already have one. Only looking for maps and route details.
I am sure that is an option and from what I have seen around the place some folks do it. I personally don't use my phone as a computer, at least not touring and even really for local rides if I do it is put away and simply recording.

Touring wise it is not something I would currently consider for the following reasons:

(1) Battery life ... I would need to be running http://ridewithgps.com or the like to be both track my ride and for navigation purposes;
(2) I am not keen on having my phone exposed to the weather day in day out despite it being a Samsung Galaxy S8;
(3) I do a lot of dirt road/track touring; crashing, hitting tree branches; not making it through a "puddle" is not unusual. Not keen on my phone been put at greater risk of serious damage in such situations;
(4) Finally and most important my phone is part of my emergency kit. I want it charged up as much as possible and functional (subject to range of course) through out the day. Just not willing to risk it for ~$370 over the life of a GPS unit.

YMMV of course.
Putting aside some of these, Ihave looked for a GPS unit/cycle computer that has an intuitive UI for a long time. Have not found one that comes close...

I am hoping the new Apple Watch might be an option, will see what apps emerge.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:42 am

Aushiker wrote:My eyesight is getting to the point where I am finding navigating with my Edge 810 a bit of hard work
Given the above, have you thought about sorting your eyesight issue.
I have some flexible magnifiers that adhere (using water) to the inside of my cycling glasses. Turns them into a bifocal.
2x magnification means I can see my 520 perfectly.

Cheaper option

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:05 am

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Aushiker wrote:My eyesight is getting to the point where I am finding navigating with my Edge 810 a bit of hard work
Given the above, have you thought about sorting your eyesight issue.
If you mean seeing (whoops) my optician annually and my optomologist triannually is "sorting your eyesight issue" then the answer is yes.

Somehow I suspect that adding some sort of "magnifer" is not really going to do the trick given my prescription or it would all ready be part of my prescription as of course I need to read etc now.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:04 am

Well I will find out soon enough if the Wahoo Element is the ideal option. Just won a brand new unit on eBay for $324 delivered. A bit of a discount on the Australian retail price of $500.
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 am

Aushiker wrote:Well I will find out soon enough if the Wahoo Element is the ideal option. Just won a brand new unit on eBay for $324 delivered. A bit of a discount on the Australian retail price of $500.
That is a good price. I'm sure we will all be interested to see your feedback.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:34 am

Another possible option coming soon to a handlebar near you ... The Hammerhead Karoo. DC Rainmaker has a first look if you are interested.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:22 am

My Wahoo Elemnt arrived last night ex the USA. Really only had a chance to unbox it, pair it, upgrade it and charge it but my initial thoughts/comments are:

[1] Feels like a nice solid unit. I may get a case for it as it is not a touch screen so having something over the screen is not likely to be a user issue;
[2] Buttons cannot be accidently pressed; They need a solid push that is for sure;
[3] Screen is very easy to read. The contrast is much better in my view than my Garmin Edge 810;
[4] Pairing was straight forward;
[5] Connecting to WiFi was a bit of a hassle. It couldn't see my WiFi network as it is limited to channels 1 to 11 and of course my modem channel range is 1-13. Once I had switched off the auto channel selection on the modem all was good.
[6] The space to plug the micro USB in is very narrow. My high quality USB cables have plugs which are a touch to wide to get a good connection. Will need to file a cable plug down a touch to get a good fit. Something to be aware of if you wish to use more than one USB cable or just grab and run with one.

Still to get my head around the screens and set them up to suit me and to get the mapping working. Not sure if I can install Open Street Maps or not so will need to investigate that.
Andrew

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Aushiker wrote:My Wahoo Elemnt arrived last night ex the USA. Really only had a chance to unbox it, pair it, upgrade it and charge it but my initial thoughts/comments are:

[1] Feels like a nice solid unit. I may get a case for it as it is not a touch screen so having something over the screen is not likely to be a user issue;
[2] Buttons cannot be accidently pressed; They need a solid push that is for sure;
[3] Screen is very easy to read. The contrast is much better in my view than my Garmin Edge 810;
[4] Pairing was straight forward;
[5] Connecting to WiFi was a bit of a hassle. It couldn't see my WiFi network as it is limited to channels 1 to 11 and of course my modem channel range is 1-13. Once I had switched off the auto channel selection on the modem all was good.
[6] The space to plug the micro USB in is very narrow. My high quality USB cables have plugs which are a touch to wide to get a good connection. Will need to file a cable plug down a touch to get a good fit. Something to be aware of if you wish to use more than one USB cable or just grab and run with one.

Still to get my head around the screens and set them up to suit me and to get the mapping working. Not sure if I can install Open Street Maps or not so will need to investigate that.
The Wahoo Elemnt already has OSM loaded.

If you want a screen protector here are a selection. I use the Brotect Airglass.

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/produc ... dell=30440