Servicing rohloff hub - seals.

polishbiker

Servicing rohloff hub - seals.

Postby polishbiker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi,

I need to replace drive and may as well do the non-drive seal on my rohloff.
anyone has done this in perth or knows someone who can or has the tools?

rifraf

Re: Servicing rohloff hub - seals.

Postby rifraf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:33 am

I seem to remember some links to video clips of Rohloff strip downs some where within the forum.

Have you tried to U-tube it?

Here, found some:

http://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gear-hu ... 59526.html

I don't have the megabytes allowance left to check out the links but I suspect that you'll find what your looking for in there.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Edit: If the link doesn't work,

Strip to axle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS6kj8g5On8

Build from axle up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1iPbYra58

Good luck
Last edited by rifraf on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBH2sc2l0g4

https://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2013 ... oil-seals/

http://matt.signorini.id.au/?p=198

Just a couple more links that may be helpful :)

Pawel, I got Quantum Cycles to exchange my 16T gear for an 18T one which they had the Rohloff tool for.

I suspect if any shop in Perth has the tool for the seals, it will be them.

Look forward to your update whether successful or not.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks heaps for the info Mr : )

I did read a bit about it but to do the work that special tool is required.

I do have the tool to remove a sprocket, always take it with me on a tour but the tool for the non-drive side seems a bit more complex and not easily available to buy.

I contacted sjs cycles and they said they do not sell it, they have it for their use and advised me to get it done by a rohloff service centre in Australia if there is one.

I will contact Quantum and see what they say.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Just had a look at their website an it says:

"We are the WA agent for Rolhoff internal hubs. We service the hubs, and stock a wide range of spare parts."

Thanks so much for the tip!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:54 pm

No worries.

Let us know how you get on.

If you find a source to buy the tool, I'm sure more than a few would appreciate that info too. :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:07 am

I was wondering if you'd asked in the Thorn forums regarding sourcing a seal tool?

I'm not suggesting you'd be successful but its likely there will be more Rohloff users in there than in here and perhaps someone can point you in the right direction.

http://www.thorncyclesforum.co.uk

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:03 pm

Well my thorn is now back from servicing from Quantum Bicycles, Aldo replaced both drive and non-drive seals and explained to me what he think caused the damage, he seems very knowledgeable so I believe my Rohloff hub was in good hands.

He also straightened my fork and rear dropouts so now just need to do some riding to make sure its all good before the next tour.

Thanks for all the info rifraf : )

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:22 pm

I have a Rohloff in need of drive side seal too, can I ask how much it cost to have the service?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:27 pm

polishbiker wrote:Well my thorn is now back from servicing from Quantum Bicycles, Aldo replaced both drive and non-drive seals and explained to me what he think caused the damage, he seems very knowledgeable so I believe my Rohloff hub was in good hands.

He also straightened my fork and rear dropouts so now just need to do some riding to make sure its all good before the next tour.

Thanks for all the info rifraf : )
Glad you had the positive outcome. :)

I can't take any credit as I think it was Baalzamon whom put me onto Quantum Cycles with regards their Rohloff work.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Robert, to do the hub seal was 88$, that was the initial drive side seal.

He suspected another seal needs replacing as he noticed some other leak and after taking it for a 50km ride his theory was right so I came back to replace the non drive side seals too so ended up replacing remaining seals, gaskets and bearings. Second work was more involved and it was around 110$.

The theory was that my seals and bearings got damaged due to me not tightening my pitlocks correctly, therefore there was a minimal play in the dropouts and that resulted in uneven wear on both sides of the hub where it meets the dropouts. It actually made sense as I was always too careful when tightening them, only yesterday I watched a pitlock video that shows to do a full rotation to tighten, I never quite did that...better late than never.

I do recommend visiting him, besides I think he is the only shop in Perth that services rohloff. Friendly and professional place.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Well...just did 30kms, came home and the drive side is leaking again ;/

Going to call quantum bicycles on monday and i am hoping they will check/fix it for free since that side was already replaced.

To be continued.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Maybe 130km to bed the seal in? Beautiful day for it :)

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Well i visited quantum bikes, we had a look at the hub, cleaned it a bit etc.
New theory is that possibly my drive bearings also need replacing, he said he rarely had to replace them, lucky me.

Going to ride for a few days and monitor.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:26 pm

Is there any rim on hub wobble from the bearings? How many km's on it?

I've read of fill volume sensitivity for some, where a bit extra was too much (maybe thid thread haha)

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:38 pm

Is there any rim on hub wobble from the bearings - dont know what you mean here.

40.000km touring.

I put 20ml of oil nowadays but yes, i was told over filling can cause oil to penetrate seals.
Hoping to do a 100km ride this weekend and check for leaks again. If leaking gear bearings it is :O

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 pm

Re: rim wobble on hub, the bearings bear the load transfer from wheel rotating around hub, hub fastened in frame.
If you hold the frame still and can wobble the rim laterally with it pivoting at the hub, that play may be the bearings, assuming axle assembly all tight etc.

A UK rider has posted a blog of a dud hub that burned through the bearings annually it seemed. Several returns to Rohloff Germany for bearing replacements after it began as warranty.
He described the premature lateral rim on hub movement indicating bearing play in his examples.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Well just did a test ride...no leaks so far but did only 10km as something wrong started happening, have not had it in 5 years ;/ Not sure what they did at the shop, when stationary and putting force on the crank rear sprocket would rotate forward a tooth or 2 so when pedalling before engaging properly it would do a small jump first. They are closed now so need to wait til Monday for any info. Any ideas?

The nut on the drive side not tight enough perhaps? I noticed it was not in the same position when i got the wheel back and thought it was odd but didint think much of it.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:33 pm

I think its becoming obvious that perhaps we might all benefit from sourcing each our own tool.

Maybe we might get a decent price if the Rohloff owners got together figuratively (digitally?) and did a group buy of the correct tool for the job?

Worth a thought?

I for one would like to own my own tool rather than have to rely on a store to get the job done.

Very frustrating to be in the position of having to wait till a weekend is over to potentially remedy someone elses work.

I've yet to buy the sprocket removal tool but your post, Polishbiker, is a reminder that despite having invested into the new sprocket system, I'm still currently reliant on a shop for a carrier removal in order to renew the seal on that side.

I made a bike24 order last week but can feel the need for another Euro splash out and emptying of the coffers.

Pawel, did you come across anyone who'd sell the tool in your trawling of the net before your visit to Quantum?

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:23 pm

I've got the sprocket tool, but I'm in Antarctica for another few weeks, so can't lend it to anyone

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:36 pm

Trevtassie wrote:I've got the sprocket tool, but I'm in Antarctica for another few weeks, so can't lend it to anyone
Pawel (Polishbiker) has the sprocket removal tool TT.

Its a tool for deeper diving into the hub I think he's referring to in order to get at the seals.

Hopefully someone will find a link or a pic of the necessary tool so we can all see what we need to do the job.

The sprocket tool is easy enough to find for sale via eBay or one of the many German cycling sites or Uk sites like SJS cycles.

I might have to get motivated and go trawling through google for Rohloff tools :idea: :shock:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 pm

Again I've little megabytes of prepay left but I did spot a few possibly helpful links to seal change:

https://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2013 ... oil-seals/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBH2sc2l0g4

(specific mention is made with regards to SJS Cycles no longer selling seals or seal tool)

I spotted this SJS page on seals https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/ ... 50014-8244

It states: "In Stock - Not available to purchase online, collection only from our Bridgwater store. Please email orders@sjscycles.com or ring 01278 441500 to reserve this item."

and

"This is to supply and fit 2 hub shell seals (this can only be done by an Authorised service partner and seals cannot be supplied separately). Please send or bring the wheel into us for fitting, price includes fitting and one pair of seals any other work required would be extra.
These seals rarely fail, please check carefully that yours are damaged and oil passing under them is not due to a foreign object being trapped or that the hub is overfull of oil."

So I think we can expect some fun locating said seals and tool availability.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:19 pm

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:38 pm

This one appears to have the tool (and just about everything else that you're likely to need - except the seals)!
https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... p?id=28031
At around AU $545 delivered!

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Ok i visited the shop and had a good chat with the owner about this.
In short i was explained that this is due to them installing whats referred to as 'tight seal', rather than light rohloff version so it creates more drag until it beads in properly, could be around 2000km.

I was told this is a normal behavior for this seal and they would put a light seal if i wanted to.

They have been installing that tight seal on bikes in Australia due to the weather conditions we have here, this one is tougher but it has more drag.

I am going to take it for a ride and see if i can get used to this for the break in period, if not they are happy to replace the seal.

Overall i am happy with their customer service.

Rifraf : ) After not seeing that tool anywhere i decided to try quantum bicycles so stopped my research, if it needs to be changed every few years then i dont mind getting the shop to do it after all. This bike looked after me for many km's so i thought its about time to give it for a good service to a proper mechanic.

Saw that kit for 550$ but for that price you may as well buy a new hub : P