New light touring/ commuting frame and bits

queequeg

Re: New light touring/ commuting frame and bits

Postby queequeg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:59 pm

avolve wrote:
queequeg wrote: I have also been browsing for Dyno lights to go with my Hunt wheels. So far the SuperNova E3 Pro 2 is looking like what I'll go with. Cost is reasonable, and it will nicely match the Ti frameset. The rest of the build is still TBC, but the bike will most likely be full Ultegra Hydro Disc (R8020) with a Long Cage R8000 Rear Derailluer
I had the E3 Pro on a previous (stolen) bike. I followed this with the Airstream on a non-dynamo bike (still have this)

I just installed an E3 Triple for my Jones Plus (still waiting for the matching E3 Tail Light to arrive).

The capped spread (up top) on the Pro is a good option for road riding. I went for the triple as this is for off road use and wanted more light out front (and up).
This would be primarily for road (sealed & gravel) riding, so the E3 looks to be a good option. I may pair it with my Exposure Diablo for an extra bit of "Oomf" when needed, but would otherwise be running on Dyno only. The frameset I have coming includes a threaded mount on the fork crown for a Dyno Light.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Ummm, is it a bit late to top up your order with a Busch and Muller rear light? I have an IQ Cyo T with a Secula. The wiring is more or less good to go from the front light back. The just ride and they work plus the standing light of both the front and rear when you are stopped in a dark spot in the bush has really turned me from a Luddite to a dyno light fancier.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:35 pm

baabaa wrote:Ummm, is it a bit late to top up your order with a Busch and Muller rear light? I have an IQ Cyo T with a Secula.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm just going to reuse the Hermann's H-track light and rack setup I had on the Claud.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:45 pm

rangersac wrote:
hartleymartin wrote:If you can extend your budget slightly, I have read good reviews of the Surly Disc Trucker.
In the end I went for the Wayward rather than a Surly LHT or a Viviente, as these very much are the full kitchen sink tourers. Based on reviews of the Wayward their frame is lighter, and misses out on some of the touring extras such as a kick stand, and spokes holders etc.
Do take photos of your rig. I look into various touring bicycles and consider various new options from time to time, but I just love to tinker with my old 1982 Raleigh. The 650B conversion let me have wider tyres (I used to tour on 27" x 1-1/4") which has made all the difference in comfort.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:07 pm

Slow reply on this one as travel and family fun and games have got in the way. Here's a crappy pic from a rather wet commute last night

Build as follows:
F/F: Wayward Cape York Copper XL
Wheels: Hunt Superdura Disc Dynamo
Drivetrain: Ultegra 6603 with Sugino XD600 crank
Brakes: TRP HY/RD 160mm front, 140mm rear.
Bar/ Stem: Nitto Grand Randonneur, Velo Orange
Seat/Post: Brooks Cambium C17, Alien USE Ti
Lights: Busch and Miller IQ-X, Hermanns H-Track
Fenders: Velo Orange Facette
Rack: Racktime Addit

I've put about 500km on it so here's a short ride report. It's certainly no lightweight, takes a while to crank up to speed as does any touring frame but once there cruises very well. The frame is admirably stiff with much less flex, particularly in the rear triangle than my old Claud Butler, but still has a nice compliant feel to it. Bumps are soaked up without fuss and high frequency chatter is mostly removed. The HY/RD brakes took quite a bit of fiddling and cursing to get set up, as the cable outers need to be really well seated to remove any dead space in the inital lever take up. They do modulate very well though, and in the wet are much more confidence inspiring than the old long reach dual calipers on the Claud. Wheels are beautifully built, dead straight, and were obviously very well stress tested on completion. These are the first set of new wheels that I've ever ridden, which didn't make any spoke settling noises on the first ride.

Dynamo is interesting. I've only used an SP-PV8 previous rather than the SON on these wheels. The SON definitely takes more speed to begin generation. On my old PV-8 just walking the bike was enough to start the lights flashing which was useful in the carport arriving home in the dark. You need to be around 8-9kph on the SON before the lights crank up. My unscientific feeling is that the SON has less drag though, and certainly spinning the wheel by hand in the workstand it runs for longer than the PV8, although this maybe because generation ceases at low speeds. SON definitely needs to redesign their hub/ wire connection though, having to remove the spade connectors when removing the wheel is fiddly with the risk of stripping the heads off the wire. The SP quick release plastic cap interface is much more straightforward.

The IQ-X was the other new noteworthy addition to this bike, replacing a Cyo Premium. Definitely a step up. The beam is significantly brighter, wider and has fewer artifacts.

I'll replace the 25mm tyres with some wider rubber, probably 35mm in the near future, and am keeping an eye on a weird gremlin where the driveside crank arm bolt keeps loosening. Weird given it never once shifted on the Claud!
Last edited by rangersac on Tue May 01, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

LG

Postby LG » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Have been wondering how the new bike's been going. Looks great, hopefully will give you a lifetime of service.
LG = Low Gear