Car bike rack for vivente bike

Megzie

Car bike rack for vivente bike

Postby Megzie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:51 am

Hi
I’ve recently purchased the Vivente Gibb, what a beautiful bike it is.
I’m now trying to source the correct bike carrier suitable to transport the Gibb on a Nissan Murano vehicle.
Can anyone recommend one?
Should I explore rear mount rack or roof mount rack?
Any tips to learn about transporting bikes on vehicles ?
Thanks

Warin

Re: Car bike rack for vivente bike

Postby Warin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:52 am

The down sides of external bike transport... choose one.

On the roof ...
People drive it to things ..car park roofs, trees, carports,
lifting the bike up/down can be physically stressful ...

On the back ...
It gets dirty back there .. dust, rain even rocks.
People hit things when reversing.

Theft is a problem. Use a lock.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:47 am

As above, the roof is one option, assuming that a) your bike is or a weight where you are able to lift it up there, which depending on your car may be in fact above your head and physically impossible without a step ladder, and b) you are not likely to forget it is there and drive into a garage or low bridge or any other number of low hanging obstacles.

The second option, rear racks, come in all shapes and sizes. Some better than others. For ease of use and security, I went with a platform based towball mounted rack that supports the bike by the wheels. The advantage is that all the bikes sit level on the carrier, unlike the type of rear rack where you hang the bike from the top tube. That is ok until you have a bike without a top tube (requiring clunky adapters), or with aggressive sloped tubing that means one wheel hangs down in front of your exhaust pipe and melts.

Rear racks add the complication that you can’t obscure your licence plates or rear lights, so you must also have a light bar and auxiliary plate that goes with the car. If you have more than one car, sharing the rack between cars means changing the aux plate each time.

Option C is to get a secure box trailer just for the bikes, which is overkill for just one bike.

The carrier that I use is a Thule Euroway 947, but there are a number of similar racks available. Gripsport in Vic do their own, and the iSi carriers (http://www.isi-carriers.com) seem pretty well regarded.

Paul
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:22 am

Apart from the inevitability of wiping it out on some overhead obstacle, the Vivente Gibb is a heavy bike, not one you would want to be lifting onto the roof.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:21 am

Option D, transport the bike inside the car. The safest option of all.
I can fit my Vivente WR inside a Toyota Corolla. Admittedly not much else fits in but with a bit of maneuvering and reclining the front and rear seats I can do it without removing the front wheel. Wheel off and it fits easily.
I'm not familiar with the Murano. They do look bigger than a Corolla from various web shots.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:33 pm

The same as Tim above, i have a Corolla hatch which when the rear seats folded forward, and front wheel off, I can easily place it in through the back hatch door.
The Murano is a SUV type vehicle so should be able to fit easily.
That said, forget carrying any passengers except for front pass seat.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Thoglette

Rinko?

Postby Thoglette » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:03 pm

There's no rule saying you need to carry it outside; nor in one piece.

(JP Weigle bike Rinko'd )
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Megzie

Postby Megzie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Thanks everyone,
Your right about the Roof option with my heavy bike ,it would be difficult as I’m not tall or strong or young.
I hadn’t considered the visibility of licence plate with rear option , which complicates it a bit.
Carrying inside my car ,semi dismantled would work, and I hadn’t considered that either , I don’t really want to have to do too much disassembling or remaking. That’s said I will need to learn this skill if I want to enjoy cycling holidays further away from home. I’d love to participate in an audax trip one day.
I will checkout the Thule carrier model mentioned in discussions. Cheers

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:26 pm

Only gotta take off front wheel to place it in the back of your Murano.....and don't forget to place the spacer between the front disc pads, being hydraulic, once they close up, you might damage the pads if you try to force them open. Do that before you slide it in the back of the car.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:40 am

queequeg wrote:
The carrier that I use is a Thule Euroway 947, but there are a number of similar racks available. Gripsport in Vic do their own, and the iSi carriers (http://www.isi-carriers.com) seem pretty well regarded.

Paul
I have a Gripsport with the extender bars for tandem, not as elegant looking as the Thule but about half the price (without the tandem extenders).

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:11 am

The thing that I don't like about all things biking is sometimes having to buy bike specific kit. I have a thule towbar rack sitting in the shed as my current car is without a towbar. I tend to opt towards a wagon type vehicle even if small so you can fold down the seats and chuck the bike in the back. No locks needed, no potential damage and yes I maybe tall but getting a full bike up on and onto any bike rack is a pest and to me long drives may really not do your wheelset much good as the bike wobbles even if the frame is locked in tight.
SO.. I went the racks and roof pod option, both can be used for lugging other than bike stuff and goes from one vehicle to another with just the right rack foot adapters. If you need that extra space, wheels and a fair bit of fuffy stuff goes up in the pod.
Pods are a useful thing even if they may push your fuel use up they are a safe place to cart gear which has a bit of value as people cannot see what is in them...

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:39 am

baabaa wrote:The thing that I don't like about all things biking is sometimes having to buy bike specific kit. I have a thule towbar rack sitting in the shed as my current car is without a towbar.
Yes, fitting a towbar these days = big ka-ching!

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 am

Mike Ayling wrote:
baabaa wrote:The thing that I don't like about all things biking is sometimes having to buy bike specific kit. I have a thule towbar rack sitting in the shed as my current car is without a towbar.
Yes, fitting a towbar these days = big ka-ching!

Mike
Yes, the trick is getting the sales guy to throw the tow bar in for free when you buy it, even if you currently don’t plan on using it. They have a massive markup on them so it’s not costing them much to throw it in as a sweetener to get you to buy the car.

We just got an ex-demo model as a second car, and it already had the tow pack on it, which they threw in for nothing. The only hassle now is that I have to change the plate on the bike rack every time I swap cars.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 am

+1 for inside the car. I can easily fit a Surly LHT in the back of a Honda Jazz. Another cyclist tells me he can fit 3 road bikes in his jazz by removing front wheel and dropping the saddle. Bikes upright with back wheels against the front seats.

I have an Ezi Grip bike beak which is very well made but doesn't get much use atm.