Cycle Computer (Odometer > 99,999 k's)

VeloGiro

Cycle Computer (Odometer > 99,999 k's)

Postby VeloGiro » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi all - I am about to roll over the 100,000 k's mark (over 10 years and 2 months of riding) and was wondering if there are any cycle computers with 6 digit programmable odometers? Silly thing really but a odo reading of 0.00 K's is going to be something of a letdown after rolling past 99,999... :wink:

Tequestra

Re: Cycle Computer (Odometer > 99,999 k's)

Postby Tequestra » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:14 pm

VeloGiro wrote:Hi all - I am about to roll over the 100,000 k's mark (over 10 years and 2 months of riding) and was wondering if there are any cycle computers with 6 digit programmable odometers? Silly thing really but a odo reading of 0.00 K's is going to be something of a letdown after rolling past 99,999... :wink:
You have certainly brought a most wonderful grin to my moosh, VeloGiro. I love this problem, because it guides me. It guides me to look upon my own current problems with a little more of an omniscient perspective, and realise how small they truly are if I stop worrying over personal issues whilst my old heart is still beating, even though it has been beating a lot more quickly and inharmoniously than usual lately.

Californians say, "Don't sweat the small stuff!"

If that is your biggest problem, then you are doing just fine, mate. Maybe I can take my own advice too?

Now, I don't know anything much about odometers for bicycles, but congratulations on your efforts. It's colloquially known as 'clocking it'. That is what they say if someone can nurture an old Holden past a million miles with the same block no more than 30 thou over, and also what us teenaged delinquents used to brag about in Timezone when we 'clocked' Galaga.

If there is not better suggestion of a million kay odometer, (which would have to begin at 000,000 anyway), then my suggestion is that you find a stanley knife and dig a little vertical notch on the left of the display to mark a number '1' in front of the 00,000 so that those who care will know that you have accomplished a great feat of endurance and tenacity. The main thing is that you know you did it.

I am not 100% serious but congratulations on clocking your odometer without the help of 10% of a 186 red motor, and thank you for helping me to see my own problems from a less personal perspective. If your heart is still beating, then there is nothing to worry about.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Transparent letraset maybe?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Offhand I don't think I have ever seen a six digit tripmeter but with the distances that people do these days you owe it to the rest of us to let us know if you do find one.

My trip meter is sitting around 55,000km but, with my age induced limited remaining years and my mode of ride I have no doubt that my trip meter will see me out.

Congrats but doesn't even good things eventually give rise to some little problem. :lol:

It would not surprise me if more riders than not who do not take readings but commute through a couple of suburbs every, say, second working day do not realise the serious distances that they accumulate. But if you DO record them (as I do and you obviously do too) and you are concerned about some day losing track of how any times you have wound the clock around then just log yourself say, annually,on Strava or Bike Journal or some other on line service.

In Perth it is possible to ride pretty well every day of the year. Hmmm, 15km to work in the morning. Ditto return. Every second day of work, that's 125 days. Aargh, it's hurting my head. Suffice to say that it is a lot. Many commuters will be shocked at their aggregate.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Tequestra wrote:
VeloGiro wrote:Hi all - I am about to roll over the 100,000 k's mark (over 10 years and 2 months of riding) and was wondering if there are any cycle computers with 6 digit programmable odometers? Silly thing really but a odo reading of 0.00 K's is going to be something of a letdown after rolling past 99,999... :wink:
You have certainly brought a most wonderful grin to my moosh, VeloGiro. I love this problem, because it guides me. It guides me to look upon my own current problems with a little more of an omniscient perspective, and realise how small they truly are if I stop worrying over personal issues whilst my old heart is still beating, even though it has been beating a lot more quickly and inharmoniously than usual lately.

Californians say, "Don't sweat the small stuff!"

If that is your biggest problem, then you are doing just fine, mate. Maybe I can take my own advice too?

Now, I don't know anything much about odometers for bicycles, but congratulations on your efforts. It's colloquially known as 'clocking it'. That is what they say if someone can nurture an old Holden past a million miles with the same block no more than 30 thou over, and also what us teenaged delinquents used to brag about in Timezone when we 'clocked' Galaga.

If there is not better suggestion of a million kay odometer, (which would have to begin at 000,000 anyway), then my suggestion is that you find a stanley knife and dig a little vertical notch on the left of the display to mark a number '1' in front of the 00,000 so that those who care will know that you have accomplished a great feat of endurance and tenacity. The main thing is that you know you did it.

I am not 100% serious but congratulations on clocking your odometer without the help of 10% of a 186 red motor, and thank you for helping me to see my own problems from a less personal perspective. If your heart is still beating, then there is nothing to worry about.
:lol: Thanks T... a silly post eloquently and quite delightfully responded to! I am glad it brought a grin to your moosch...In response I'll raise your grin, with a fully toothy smile (albeit with a slice of humility) straight back at you mate! Thanks T for your thoughts!