An e-mtb for me...

rifraf

Re: An e-mtb for me...

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:06 pm

RonK wrote:I took delivery of the bike after work last night, and spent the evening digesting the slab of documentation Focus and Shimano provide (including a CD), charging the batteries, installing a cycle computer and sensors, mounting a bidon cage, setting the sag and damping on the suspension fork, and making a few ergonomic adjustments.

Then this afternoon I managed to sneak out of the office in time to take a short ride before sundown, to get a feel for the motor assistance and to bed in the brakes, so of course I needed a hill. A big one. I followed the river bank around West End then cruised easily up Dornoch Terrace to the top of Highgate Hill, using only Eco and Trail mode.

First impressions? The 27.5 x 2.8 Maxxis Recon + tyres seem enormous, and the hydro-formed alloy frame unashamedly robust. It's a very imposing bike when you stand next to it. Weight is 20kg.

And to ride? Wow - like, Wow. It is a magic carpet ride.

So - on the weekend I'll be heading up to the Ewen Maddock dam near Caloundra with some friends to give the bike its first real workout over a few MTB trails. I've told them I have a new bike, but not what kind of bike. They'll be shocked. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And while I was taking this pic, a name popped into my head, so it shall be know from this day on as "Limey".
Limey looks very impressive indeed as do the specs.

The distance with power assist sounds fantastic.

I suspect those frame specs and not just the big hoops go a long way to emulate the magic carpet ride.

"I can almost hear Steppenwolf as I type

" I like to dream, yes, yes
Right between the sound machine
On a cloud of sound I drift in the night
Any place it goes is right
Goes far, flies near
To the stars away from here

Well, you don't know what
We can find
Why don't you come with me little girl
On a magic carpet ride........."

Both the chain stays and the wheelbase are longer than the current Ogre which make it sound like a very "stable" ride.

What if any luggage do you anticipate being able to haul?

I imagine your handlebar roll should present little issue, as well your fork cages, but less sure about the available room for your frame bag and I see no threaded holes for a rear rack (not that this means one can't be added)

I get this isn't your full on touring machine, but I am curious what you anticipate taking with you (and how) for your weekenders.

Might there be an Extrawheel in your future?

More than 100km assist sounds fantastic

I look forward to hearing more.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:44 pm

It's big. It's roomy. The plus tyres and air suspension fork give cushy comfort. Even in Eco mode you can feel its urge to go. It's a magic carpet ride.

Hehe - we are on the same wavelength Aidan. I was thinking last night after I posted that it could be the theme song. Now I have an earworm that keeps playing over and over in my mind. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be able to use the same anything bags, seat bag and handlebar bag I use on the Fargo. I'll get a Wolftooth Valais so I can use the seat bag with the dropper post. Since I'm not planning any long tours on this bike I'll have plenty of carrying capacity.

I'll get Rockgeist to make a new frame bag to fit around the battery. It will be a good place to carry the charger on multi-day trips.

Rack? Extrawheel? Noo Noooooo, you've got to wean yourself away from those kind of impure thoughts. :D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:54 am

So I took Limey for its first workout yesterday and got it properly dirty over 40km of tight, twisting, undulating single track and fire trails with some steep climbing. The bike monstered it all.

The climbing capability of this bike is extraordinary, but my climbing/descending skills are gonna need a lot of practice. I had an absolute hoot powering over the single-track. It was very satisfying for my first MTB ride in many years.

And the battery indicator had just changed down to show 2 out of 5 bars of battery power remaining right at the end of the ride.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:49 am

RonK wrote:So I took Limey for its first workout yesterday and got it properly dirty over 40km of flowing single track and fire trails with some steep climbing. The bike monstered it all.

The climbing capability of this bike is extraordinary, but my climbing/descending skills are gonna need a lot of practice. But I had an absolute ball powering over the single-track. It was very satisfying for my first MTB ride in many years.

And the battery indicator had just changed down to show 2 out of 5 bars of battery power remaining right at the end of the ride.
Ron with 150+ km in eco mode then your first 40km ride on the tracks with 2 bars left what do you feel you could get out of it riding in similar conditions if you pushed on would it be fair to say at least 60-70km? How was your knees after that ride using the power assist did you feel like you could continue riding?

Cheers Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:15 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Ron with 150+ km in eco mode then your first 40km ride on the tracks with 2 bars left what do you feel you could get out of it riding in similar conditions if you pushed on would it be fair to say at least 60-70km? How was your knees after that ride using the power assist did you feel like you could continue riding?
Ricky, I used a mix of Eco and Trail mode, even a little Boost on the steeper climbs. Assuming the battery gauge display is linear, I should be able to reach 70km in Eco mode on one battery. Next weekend I'm planning to ride a section of the the BVRT - a flattish of about 50km which should require only Eco mode. I'll have a better idea after that.

Knees felt fine after the ride and are good this morning as well. Another 20km yesterday would have been quite doable I think - but that is not an exceptional distance for me even without assistance. On the BVRT earlier this month we covered 45km, 55km and 70km on consecutive days. I was feeling pretty sore though for a couple of days after.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Ron that is pretty impressive distance for such a small footprint on your frame not to mention it doesn't take away any aesthetic it's just a tidy unit. I'm happy that it relieving the knee pain or aiding in keeping you going further will make for a more relaxing and enjoyable stop at the end of the day around camp. What was the charge time to bring it back to full after your 40km ride?

Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:54 pm

I didn't think to time it Ricky, but afterwards I estimated it was about 3 hours.
I'm planning several more rides and will lead a group on a two-day ride on the BVRT in September.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Second outing on Limey today - a 42km firetrail ride through the Glasshouse Mountains to Woodford. There was quite a bit of steep climbing on this route and I used a lot more of the higher levels of assistance. It certainly made for a much faster ride than my last venture there but chewed a lot more battery power too. I still has power to spare but the lesson is to take it easy and use only eco mode to get the best battery life.

I tried out the first of several upgrades - a set of Funn Mamba one-sided SPD pedals to replace the plastic showroom pedals it was delivered with. I was very pleased with the wide platform which makes hill starts much easier.

On the way is a set of Vittoria Mezcal tyres to replace the horrible draggy, noisy Maxxis Recons which were OEM, and a narrower set of riser bars to replace the original flat bars which are so wide I have trouble getting the bike out the door. It's like wresting a longhorn.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Uncle Just wrote:Good for you Ron. I've never understood the hate for these bikes. If they are used responsibly they allow people such as yourself and others who aren't quite up to the rigours of riding for whatever reason to be able to keep in the game. A mate who has no injuries, is a good mtber, very trail aware and responsible took one out for spin on his local trails and had a ball. Not for everyone but I could also see myself getting one as my dotage fast approaches. :wink:
I think most of the e-mtb haters are about trail access and safety. Sometimes MTB trails end up being one way, typically because it's unrideable going up hill. E-mtb's see bikes going the opposite direction to the prevailing traffic.

Also - in certain places in the US there has been long and protracted battles for trail access for MTB. People are concerned that this new class of mtb will cause contention and result in loss of access.

There was a cycling tips podcast on it a little while back. I suggest listening to that.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/cycling ... ngletrack/

Personally I can really see the attraction. I wish Ron the best with his new bike.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:13 pm

How narrow are you going with the bars and how wide were the old set?

I find riding on wide bars, even though mine are only 710mm, to be much easier for turning.

I would think on a heavier e-bike you would want to run to run some wide bars. I am going back to 780mm bars on my SS Krampus.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:34 pm

Mugglechops wrote:How narrow are you going with the bars and how wide were the old set?

I find riding on wide bars, even though mine are only 710mm, to be much easier for turning.

I would think on a heavier e-bike you would want to run to run some wide bars. I am going back to 780mm bars on my SS Krampus.
The OEM bars are a flat 760mm. I'm going to a 720mm riser bar. The steering is actually very nimble so I doubt I'll notice much difference. I may be tempted to trim them even further.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Ok cool 720mm is still a decent width.

After pushing into a 60km/h headwind on my singlespeed today, I am thinking more about an E-bike myself :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Interesting to discover that the Hidden Vale Epic has included an e-mtb category in the 52km Pursuit event. I know that several other e-mtbers have entered so I might have to give it a go if I can wriggle out of the commitment I've previously made for that Sunday.

Flight Centre Cycle Epic

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 am

RonK wrote:Interesting to discover that the Hidden Vale Epic has included an e-mtb category in the 52km Pursuit event. I know that several other e-mtbers have entered so I might have to give it a go if I can wriggle out of the commitment I've previously made for that Sunday.

Flight Centre Cycle Epic
Soon the other prickly issue.. to strava or not? :mrgreen:

Having owned an e-bike for a while I think I can see that they very much have two different personalities. If you punch turbo they have a wild and addictive fast side to them that is the side everyone sees and talks about and is the divisive one.

However if you leave them on eco or tour (low) they just slowly chug in a little bit. If you work a bit too you'll make slower progress but you'll still get along ok - and the electrics will happily do this for a startlingly long way. I can really see a lot of people seeing appeal in this. I'm aware of people for who riding has just gotten a bit much due to age enjoying this aspect.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:34 am

Comedian wrote:Soon the other prickly issue.. to strava or not? :mrgreen:
Not for me - I've always had a low opinion of Strava and have never used it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Comedian wrote:Soon the other prickly issue.. to strava or not? :mrgreen: .
Strava has an e-bike option.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Yesterday I rode some of the MTB trails at Mt Coot-Tha. Not knowing my way around I took the most obvious route up a firetrail. I was soon regretting my choice, as it was fearfully steep. Never mind - switching the assist level to boost, and struggling to find the balance point between traction and steering I made it to the top, only to find other riders emerging from a side track which is apparently the normal, easier route up. On the descending (blue) trail I got an instant lesson about the capabilities of a modern mtb, scaring the wits out of myself in the process. Then back up again for another go, this time on the recommended climbing trail and it was a cruise, no boost necessary.
Needless to say it was a lot of fun.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:33 pm

RonK wrote:Yesterday I rode some of the MTB trails at Mt Coot-Tha. Not knowing my way around I took the most obvious route up a firetrail. I was soon regretting my choice, as it was fearfully steep. Never mind - switching the assist level to boost, and struggling to find the balance point between traction and steering I made it to the top, only to find other riders emerging from a side track which is apparently the normal, easier route up. On the descending (blue) trail I got an instant lesson about the capabilities of a modern mtb, scaring the wits out of myself in the process. Then back up again for another go, this time on the recommended climbing trail and it was a cruise, no boost necessary.
Yes - I reckon they would be great fun. Just watch the water bars on the descents!

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Comedian wrote:
RonK wrote:Yesterday I rode some of the MTB trails at Mt Coot-Tha. Not knowing my way around I took the most obvious route up a firetrail. I was soon regretting my choice, as it was fearfully steep. Never mind - switching the assist level to boost, and struggling to find the balance point between traction and steering I made it to the top, only to find other riders emerging from a side track which is apparently the normal, easier route up. On the descending (blue) trail I got an instant lesson about the capabilities of a modern mtb, scaring the wits out of myself in the process. Then back up again for another go, this time on the recommended climbing trail and it was a cruise, no boost necessary.
Yes - I reckon they would be great fun. Just watch the water bars on the descents!
No water bars on the blue trails. But lots of jumps, bermed switchbacks, drop-offs, trees, tree roots, rock ledges, plank bridges - you name it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:13 pm

A set of Vittoria Mezcals arrived early last week and I mounted them immediately. Limey was booked in for the first service on Wednesday, and I wanted to measure the rollout to get the tyre circumference adjusted in the Steps setup for the slightly smaller (2.6" vs 2.8") Mezcals.

Actually there has been a discrepancy between the Steps dashboard and my Wahoo Elemnt, so I was pretty well convinced that the Steps had been incorrectly set for 29er tyres from new.

Getting the tyre circumference adjusted was quite a performance. The bike shop called me during the day and informed me that Shimano does not permit dealers to make this adjustment. However when I collected the bike the adjustment had been done - it seems that the shop had called the Shimano service department who had actually connected to the bike online and made the adjustment.

First ride after the service was a revelation. Not only are the Steps and Elemnt now in almost perfect sync, but the Mezcals roll beautifully and much more quietly. The bike was quick before but now it really flies.

Konatourer

Postby Konatourer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:58 pm

It has been interesting to read this thread. Earlier this year I purchased a Cube Hybrid Reaction Pro. It is a 29er hardtail. I have changed the tyres to Surly Extraterrestrials. It has a Tubus rear rack and Gorilla Cages on the fork legs. Up front I have installed a Salsa Anything cradle. My aim is to tour Kangaroo island later this year. The bike has a Bosch Performance Line motor and a 500 watt hour battery, I have a comfortable 60-70 km range on Eco setting. I suspect we are going to see a lot more e-bike touring. Riese and Muller have a tourer with integrated 500 watt hour batteries giving a sizeable range.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:37 am

Unless there is a fresh outbreak of the fires which have devastated parts of the Brisbane River Valley in the past week, I'll be taking Limey on a 100km 2-day ride on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail this coming weekend.
I'll easily have enough range for the 100km and won't be taking a charger.

I'm leading a group of a dozen riders, some of whom have suggested I should take a tow rope in case they find the going difficult. :lol:

I took it for a 40km ride on the lower BVRT a couple of weekends ago and it was a real hoot.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:10 pm

I'll look forward to reading a write up when you've finished. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:59 pm

rifraf wrote:I'll look forward to reading a write up when you've finished. :D
Well the 2-day ride became a 1-day ride when we were caught in an intense thunderstorm early on Sunday morning, shortly after leaving our overnight stop. To make matters worse, one of the riders got a puncture, so we were out in the open for an hour trying to fix it in drenching rain and with lightning crashing all around us. Eventually we made it to shelter in a roadside café, but by then people were becoming hypothermic and there was no sign of the rain relenting. I had to call a halt there and organise a shuttle to the destination.

So at the beginning of November, some of us will head back to ride in only one day what we had planned to do in two. Should be fun. :D

Hollyford

Postby Hollyford » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi Ron,

How do you think this bike would stand up to international airline travel? I am still deciding between a steel touring bike with rohloff or an e-bike and I am looking at the Focus models available (for a small female). To do commuting and touring in NZ and overseas, but not too excessive in type i.e. happy to do 100km/day on roads, trails etc for a few weeks or a month.

One other option is to add a conversion (maybe at some later stage) to the steel touring bike. I have seen a few reviews on that. Did you consider this option.

Thanks very much for any advice, S.