I <3 my Azzurri. How long is reasonable to replace a frame?

mezla

I <3 my Azzurri. How long is reasonable to replace a frame?

Postby mezla » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:36 pm

21/10/2014
I contacted Cycling Express, because the metal housing thingy between my frame and my bottom bracket came loose.
To their credit, upon receiving pictures sent by my LBS, Cycling Express instantly agreed to replace my frame under warranty.

06/11/2014 (two weeks later, due to slow responses from CE)
I had negotiated an upgrade from Forza Pro Di2 to Mezzo 90 Di2, and paid the difference (which IMO actually helped them out, since they informed me that they no longer make the Forza Pro Di2, and had no spares available).

19/01/2014
Since that all took place, it has been 74 days. After initially being sent the wrong frame (a non-Di2 frame), and quite a lot of waiting for replies, my new frame is now at my LBS (who have been wonderful - thanks Pushy's Fyshwick), but they are now awaiting some extra bits that CE forgot to send... so the saga continues.

I am a very reasonable person, and I understand they run small margins at Cycling Express, and that Xmas/NYE went past recently. I also understand that my case was taken over from the original support staffer, as they had stuffed it up so badly, and since then it has progressed more satisfactorily.

I want to reiterate at this point that I think my Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 was an absolute bargain, and I would and HAVE recommended them to everybody and anybody (3 bike purchases from CE totaling >$5000 have directly resulted from my advice).

BUT... I do not own a car. I have only one bike. I have been without that bike for almost three months. :(

I can't help but feel put out, and I'm starting to wonder if I may be entitled to any compensation.

KGB

Re: I <3 my Azzurri. How long is reasonable to replace a fra

Postby KGB » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Unfortunately, I doubt it. You've got a rough deal but it sounds like they've been at least trying to finalise the situation, they just keep studying it up.
I buy probably 3/4 of my stuff online but I also have a very good LBS who I use for all the big stuff - like frames. These sorts of things can happen with a shop as well of course but the process occurs much more quickly if it does.

mezla

Postby mezla » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:17 am

A rough deal indeed.

I feel very strongly that CE should cover the cost of the assembly too, since the assembly is only required because of the frame fault, but they say they don't cover that.

That makes me quite annoyed.

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:52 am

That's standard I'm afraid. Under consumer law, they are only warranting the frame. Any costs associated with getting it back to them are borne by you.

I got knocked off my motorbike a few years back, nothing too serious but part of the damage was a cracked sight glass on the engine case. Insurance took care of all repairs but I got charged for an oil change - even though there was no possible way to repair the bike without removing the oil, apparently "that isn't covered".

Regarding stripping and rebuilding, again this is something a shop would normally do out of good will if the bike was purchased from them. Unfortunately it seems like youre experiencing all the perils of buying online at once.

I hate to sound like an ar$e but as someone who relies on this one bike as your only transport and has limited mechanical experience/ability, you're the perfect example of someone who should pay a little extra and take advantage of the services offered by a proper shop. Easy to say in hindsight of course, if you had better luck you would have sailed along your merry way.
Last edited by KGB on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

greatscott

Postby greatscott » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:22 am

mezla wrote:A rough deal indeed.

I feel very strongly that CE should cover the cost of the assembly too, since the assembly is only required because of the frame fault, but they say they don't cover that.

That makes me quite annoyed.
I live near Cycling Express in Bayswater (Vic) and had a faulty frame back in 2010.
I took my bike in to their shop and they swapped it over, no questions, no charge.
A friend in Adelaide had the identical problem, same Azzurri bike but his LBS hit him up for swapping the frame over, approx. $120.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:52 am

I am dealing with a similar mechanical issue - loose bb shell and cracked bb carbon on a Trek, who have dragged it out to 3.5 weeks so far. I have no idea what their intention is, though they've asked for photos 3 times now.

I'm resigned to buying a $1000 alloy frame (CAAD10?), and swapping everything onto it myself with the help of a more experienced mate. Trek's reputation is toast with me. Their bikes might be comparatively ok, but their handling of warranty claims reveals an unhealthy corporate ethic in Australia and is not worth the premium one pays for their bikes.

mezla

Postby mezla » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:50 pm

@KGB A little extra? Pfff. No.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Don't wanna sound smart but thats why its always good to have a second commuter bike which isn't the super dupa di2 excitement machine.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:59 am

mezla wrote:@KGB A little extra? Pfff. No.
Well, I'm sure you get my point - you went online, got the cheap deal and now it's turning into a nightmare. Apart from getting shafted completely, this is pretty much worst case scenario and is pretty rotten luck but these are the risks when buying online!

This is also not the first warranty drama I've heard with azzuri. I'd avoid them like the plague, personally.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:15 am

rodneycc wrote:Don't wanna sound smart but thats why its always good to have a second commuter bike which isn't the super dupa di2 excitement machine.
+1

You need a dedicated transport/commuter bike with a box of spare parts at home to keep you on the road.
Keep the Di2 dream machine for your recreational riding.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:24 am

queequeg wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Don't wanna sound smart but thats why its always good to have a second commuter bike which isn't the super dupa di2 excitement machine.
+1

You need a dedicated transport/commuter bike with a box of spare parts at home to keep you on the road.
Keep the Di2 dream machine for your recreational riding.
x2. I have my old 26er hardtail in reserve for this, and wet weather commuting. It's as slow as a wet week, but I have fun riding stairs and up kerbs when I'm on it. It's maybe 25% slower, but it does bring a smile to my face.