Tyres for a 20" MTB

Mububban

Tyres for a 20" MTB

Postby Mububban » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:32 pm

My son’s second hand MTB has 2.0 tyres that are quite worn down:

A workmate gave me his kids unused Giant MTX with these 2.0 tyres:

The Giant’s Kenda tyres have much bigger grip knobs, but although they're labelled as 2.0, the body of the tyre is about narrower. But the knob width equals 2.0 inches.

Is it worth changing them over? The Kendas just look kinda cheap but that doesn't mean they won't be a grip improvement on soft gravel.

Otherwise, can you get half decent 20" knobblies that aren't the price of an adult tyre? He's probably got another 18 months on this bike.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

boyracer

Re: Tyres for a 20" MTB

Postby boyracer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:31 pm

I bought some michelin branded tyres on c r c recently for a 20 inch MTB. Pattern is similar to a small block eight MAXXIS. They seem to roll nicely and are grippy on dirt/rocks for the young fella.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:30 am

The kendas are very cheap, they are the go-to for cheap bikes. Leave the Haro on the front for a while and let him go to town on the kenda on the rear with skids and stuff! Once the are more worn, pick up something else. There isn't a massive market for 20" mtb tyres, but you might find something that looks like a 'real tyre' in a BMX range - although these tend to look to have less grip.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:47 pm

The front tyre on the Haro still has a bit of grip left, I might leave that on and try the Kenda on the rear and see how he goes. He's not going flat out on the trails or doing skids (yet!) but that rather bald rear tyre is slipping very now and then.

I might let out some air pressure too, kid + bike only = 31kg
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Mububban wrote:The front tyre on the Haro still has a bit of grip left, I might leave that on and try the Kenda on the rear and see how he goes. He's not going flat out on the trails or doing skids (yet!) but that rather bald rear tyre is slipping very now and then.

I might let out some air pressure too, kid + bike only = 31kg
I figured that out with my kids. They are so light that they pretty much can't get pinch flats. Think about 20psi, especially with the kenda, they are quite a stiff tyre.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.