Vivente Randonneur

Lonerider1968

Re: Vivente Randonneur

Postby Lonerider1968 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 pm

I have never had a buckled wheel and I am a heavy rider that is not gentle on my bike/s. The beauty of rock solid, hand built wheels I guess.
HEY! Let go my blouse!!!

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:51 am

Really? My wheel builder of over forty years mustn't be as good as yours ;)

Oh and I like the fact I don't have to rebuild my wheels when the rims wear down (I like to use other brands than Rigida)...

Lonerider1968

Postby Lonerider1968 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:55 am

Well, not entirely true......... Had my Velocity Deep V,s tweaked after some 15,000 k's a few weeks ago not that they were buckled.

CSS Andras....... No rim wear full stop as yet and highly unlikely to be....... We'll see....... First time I have used them.
HEY! Let go my blouse!!!

rog7681

Postby rog7681 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:13 am

australiantourer wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
rog7681 wrote:Yes, discs are on both ends this year...
http://www.viventebikes.com/main/page_p ... tolia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just briefly on the discussion of how many gears you need to tour, I have recently committed the heresy of converting my vwr from nine to eight speed -- mainly to get a quieter transmission. My mantra: when riding my bike on a quiet country road, all I want to hear is tyre noise. My 7 speed mongoose hybrid has provided this for almost 20 years. Thin chains on busy rear clusters cost more, are less robust and in my experience are likely to be making noise that I resent -- subtle, but it's there. It's unnecessary, and mainly a result of marketing hype arising from a race-oriented industry.

imho!

I'm very happy with the conversion. The nine speed bar end selectors are up for sale, btw. I sure don't need 'em.
Out of interest... When you changed over to an 8 speed, did you have to change anything with the front rings?

australiantourer

Postby australiantourer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:03 pm

zilch!

octagonalman

Postby octagonalman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:56 pm

I've finally gotten around to giving the trekking bar/Deore derailleur version the clearance it needs:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/inde ... e&id=mpytt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/inde ... e&id=hjd7b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally there's no derailleur cage striking the crank arm when in the highest gear and tuned to avoid chain rub.

rich1642

Postby rich1642 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:19 pm

I'm considering a second hand 2014 Vivente Patagonia in XXL size. I'm just over 6'2" tall, but suspect it is a little big for me. The current owner is 6'4". The Vivente website puts my height right in the middle of the XL. My current bike is a 21" mid nineties Trek MTB which I find very comfortable, although it seemed a little small at first. I could quite happily keep on riding this, but getting 7 speed drivetrain parts is a bit of a pain. Is it likely a XXL would be too big for me?

If anybody tall in Sydney is interested in a Vivente tourer, here is the ad. It is out in Glenorie in the NW near Dural, so It is difficult for me to access for a test ride.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glenorie ... 1127675553

At $1400 with a front Tubus rack, it seems like good value considering the $2600 or so new price these days.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:49 pm

Wow...that's pretty good buying for a 2 year old tourer.....can you get to Sydney to try it first? Might just mean the difference in getting a shorter stem to bring the bars closer perhaps....lots of things you could do to make it adapt to your size.
The other guy might have different sized torso or legs than you....if theres only 2 inches separating you and him, then it mightn't be too hard to adjust to your size.

I've got a 2013 with trekking bars but only one front mech disc brake and canti on the back...i'm loving it as they are good solid bikes...they have to be with my 112kg plus body on it......might get a new one in a year or two...just to keep up with the better gear.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:59 am

rich1642 wrote:I'm considering a second hand 2014 Vivente Patagonia in XXL size. I'm just over 6'2" tall, but suspect it is a little big for me. The current owner is 6'4". The Vivente website puts my height right in the middle of the XL...... Is it likely a XXL would be too big for me?
Given the amount of exposed seat post; the number of spacers on the stem and the length of the stem itself, you'll have no trouble adjusting that one to fit you if there's only two inches in it. There's four inches of adjustment available in each of the above.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:02 pm

rich1642 wrote:Is it likely a XXL would be too big for me?
Yes, I think it is. However I'm sure Noel McFarlane at Vivente would be willing to advise if you contact him.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rich1642

Postby rich1642 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:38 pm

It is too big for me. I straddled another VR XXL today and the top bar was uncomfortably close.

I think I'll buy new. I don't like black bikes though so I'm going to get the frame repainted in either bright yellow or orange.

dsilkroad

Postby dsilkroad » Sun May 02, 2021 3:45 pm

I posted this on an other forum as well: I'm still learning how the site works so bear with me please.
I need some advise preferibly from people who ride a Vivente simillar to mine; with a big load.

Hi Guys I am planning my first tour. I'm leaving next week on a Vivente Anatolia size medium that I bought brand new last year.
I weigh 100kg and I'd like to carry 40kg of stuff. I just did a test and weighed every thing to within + - 2kg.
I tested the bike in my street/ around the block, and I could very easily feel the lateral flex in the frame especially when I pedal uphill or make a uturn.
The weight is distributed well. I have a 18 kg tubus front rack and it is carrying about 35 % of the weight of my stuff.
My question is : will the Anatolia be OK with 140kg of total load; rider + gear?
Also my tour is not all on tarmac; there is some gravel too. I will always be riding slow and minimising wear and tear to a minimum.
I am only concerned because I have never felt a bike flexing underneath me the way my bike felt today. But I never rode a fully laden touring bike; so maybe it is normal that the bike feels like that. usually I only carry between 5 and 10kg of stuff.
Please let me know what you think about the matter; if you believe I should; I should be able to reduce a few kg but I prefer not to if I can.
Regards
Chris

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun May 02, 2021 4:52 pm

I rode my 2012 Vivente for the first time in months today. Not loaded but mostly corrugated dirt and rail trail. I'd forgotten how smooth it is to ride.
I'm much lighter than you (60kg's) but I have carried a 40kg load a few times. Approx 20kg's of food and camping gear and 20kg's/Litres of water but this was in remote coastal far East Gippland without any reliable water source for 4 days. Really, really hard work. To the point where I won't repeat that effort ever again.
The frame flexes a bit but it isn't any concern.
In your case a 40kg load is huge. I don't travel light but my base load is only about 15-16 kg's plus as much food and water as required, generally no more than an extra 4-5kg's. Sufficient for 4-5 days in the Vic Alps without food resupply points but plenty of water at campsites and along the way.
What on earth are you carrying? Can you pare it down by about 20kg's? You're in for a miserable hard time touring with a load that size on anything but flat and downhill roads. Off road will be an enormous effort.
I don't mean to be a wet blanket but you won't get far with a load that heavy and probably won't want to do it again. Rationalise the load. Taking too much stuff on a first ride (or bushwalk) is a very common mistake and deters many first time travellers from trying a second trip, or finishing the first one.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Sun May 02, 2021 7:58 pm

"..Rationalise the load..." x 100, 20kgs is more normal especially these days with vacuum freeze dried hiking meals that weigh nothing

Too much stuff, but I don't wish to teach you to suck eggs as you might be a veteran tourer, you say "your first tour", do you mean on the Vivente or first ever?

It's a real good idea to work up to a first major tour with numerous smaller, shorter ones, test out the bike, equipment AND the rider, learn what works and what doesn't , what to leave at home and what else you should take. Planing is mostly around water as it is so damn heavy, a lot of prime touring country will always be within a days riding of a shop of some kind so taking water for more than a day isn't necessary.

Where are you touring and what are the top 10 heaviest items?

But otherwise many Vivente riders will tell you the bike will go better with a load than unloaded but kgs are always a killer on hills and 155kg (100+40+15 bike) is extreme for any bike.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun May 02, 2021 10:50 pm

I regularly bring 20+ KG home from the shop (fortunately only 500m but well over 10% gradients)

I've also hioked a 20kg+ pack for a few days on foot. I have some very short toothbrushes as a result.

My daily commute has the bike + luggage at over 20kg but 50kg+ is another thing: 40kg is a big load - Your tent; sleeping bag; stove and fuel supply should be under 2kg each. So what the heck is all that other weight

As others have said, hills and soft surfaces are the enemy. And you need to understand (i.e. practice) how you'll cope with that load on the sort of trip you have planned. 150kg on flat, good roads is not a problem (except stopping!). If you're geared correctly you can get up any hill, just slowly. Soft ground is another thing
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

thamete

Postby thamete » Mon May 03, 2021 12:22 pm

dsilkroad wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:45 pm
I need some advise preferibly from people who ride a Vivente simillar to mine; with a big load.

Hi Guys I am planning my first tour. I'm leaving next week on a Vivente Anatolia size medium that I bought brand new last year.
I weigh 100kg and I'd like to carry 40kg of stuff. I just did a test and weighed every thing to within + - 2kg.
I tested the bike in my street/ around the block, and I could very easily feel the lateral flex in the frame especially when I pedal uphill or make a uturn.
The weight is distributed well. I have a 18 kg tubus front rack and it is carrying about 35 % of the weight of my stuff.
My question is : will the Anatolia be OK with 140kg of total load; rider + gear?
Regards
Chris
Hi Chris,

The Vivente can easily cope with the sort of loads you are talking about.

However, you haven't described the lateral flex to well. You may be experiencing the low speed shimmy that I have experienced over the years.

When in expedition mode I commonly carry 65 kg of gear not counting water which can add another 10 kg or so on the 2013 Deccan equivalent. My body weight varies between 70 and 90 kg. My front mounting was initially a Tubus Duo rack which I later combined with a Racktime Topit front rack to which I mounted a Restrap Rando bag.

When using the Tubus Duo on its own I never experienced any low speed shimmy but I did find it a bit difficult to maintain steering stability going slowly up hills. When I moved from mounting an Ortlieb handlebar bag on the bars to adding the Racktime rack large Rando bag combination I also began to experience a pronounced low speed shimmy particularly when doing tight low speed turns.

I have found that a number of factors play a role including:

1) left - right weight distribution. I used to weigh the front panniers to make sure they weighed the same, to the extent that I had a water bottle stored in one that I would use to balance the weight to the other within 20 g or so. Over time I stopped being so finicky and the panniers could vary in weight by 500g to 1 kg. Although this contributed to steering instability it did not cause a shimmy.

2) After I added the Racktime topit rack to provide a platform above the Tubus duo I noticed that the low speed shimmy became more pronounced. I believe the loads on two independent racks introduced a flex that transferred through the forks to the head tube and throght the frame. I have since replaced the two independent racks with a Surly front rack but unfortunately I have yet to carry a heavy load on this rack to test its effect on the shimmy.

3) Things that have helped is reducing the number of spacers under the stem, replacing the original long reach Nitto Noodle bars with an 80 mm stem with short reach Salsa Cowbell bars with a 110 mm stem and balancing the load on the forks from left to right. I do not worry about balancing the load front to rear.

I would also suggest that it may be worth while contacting Noel McFarlane at Vivente about your issue. He may be able to give you some more specific advice.

I hope this helps a little.

Mark

dsilkroad

Postby dsilkroad » Mon May 03, 2021 6:36 pm

thamete wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:22 pm
dsilkroad wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:45 pm

Regards
Chris
Hi Chris,

The Vivente can easily cope with the sort of loads you are talking about.

However, you haven't described the lateral flex to well. You may be experiencing the low speed shimmy that I have experienced over the years.

When in expedition mode I commonly carry 65 kg of gear not counting water which can add another 10 kg or so on the 2013 Deccan equivalent. My body weight varies between 70 and 90 kg. My front mounting was initially a Tubus Duo rack which I later combined with a Racktime Topit front rack to which I mounted a Restrap Rando bag.

When using the Tubus Duo on its own I never experienced any low speed shimmy but I did find it a bit difficult to maintain steering stability going slowly up hills. When I moved from mounting an Ortlieb handlebar bag on the bars to adding the Racktime rack large Rando bag combination I also began to experience a pronounced low speed shimmy particularly when doing tight low speed turns.

I have found that a number of factors play a role including:

1) left - right weight distribution. I used to weigh the front panniers to make sure they weighed the same, to the extent that I had a water bottle stored in one that I would use to balance the weight to the other within 20 g or so. Over time I stopped being so finicky and the panniers could vary in weight by 500g to 1 kg. Although this contributed to steering instability it did not cause a shimmy.

2) After I added the Racktime topit rack to provide a platform above the Tubus duo I noticed that the low speed shimmy became more pronounced. I believe the loads on two independent racks introduced a flex that transferred through the forks to the head tube and throght the frame. I have since replaced the two independent racks with a Surly front rack but unfortunately I have yet to carry a heavy load on this rack to test its effect on the shimmy.

3) Things that have helped is reducing the number of spacers under the stem, replacing the original long reach Nitto Noodle bars with an 80 mm stem with short reach Salsa Cowbell bars with a 110 mm stem and balancing the load on the forks from left to right. I do not worry about balancing the load front to rear.

I would also suggest that it may be worth while contacting Noel McFarlane at Vivente about your issue. He may be able to give you some more specific advice.

I hope this helps a little.

Mark
Mark thank you for the detailed reply. Lots of information.
When you say "When in expedition mode I commonly carry 65 kg of gear not counting water which can add another 10 kg or so on the 2013 Deccan equivalent." do you mean that your bike is a VWR Deccan or a bike simillar to the VWR Decan?
My front rack is a tubus Grand Expedition.
I think the best way to describe it is a low speed Shimmy but it can happen at higher speeds just as well. I am thinking it is quite normal based on messages by a few people and some research that I did.
Someone that I chatted to described it very well; he called it "wagging" of the rear end of the bike. It's too early to see where it will go but I am thinking that with better weighjt distribution and riding technique I will fix it.
Most of my weight is made out of water and food. I am going to be riding in a few places where I think it can be 2 or 3 days before I can restock on food. Water I can fill up from streams using a purification pump but I am still carrying as much as I can to avoid running out. I am kind of erring on the side of caution better an extra 4 kg of weight than 4 hrs of dehydration in central queensland weather. I guess with experience I will learn what to remove to reduce weight; or else I will be one of those people who carry anything they could possibly need as long as they are comfortable, speed does not matter to them. I don't know yet as I am new at this game; time will tell.

My concern that caused me to ask this question was based on how the bike felt fully loaded. Specifically when the bike was rocked sideways while only just holding it from the handlebars. My concern was that the welding on the frame might crack. But this concern was based on no experience riding fully loaded bikes and no experience comparing different brands of fully loaded bikes. I am thinking that with this kind of weight every bike will "wag the rear end" simillar to my bike. Since yesterday many people have assured me that the Vivente Anatolia should handle 140kg without any proplems. Now I am feeling confident again.
Thanks everyone that contributed lots of valid points and info.

thamete

Postby thamete » Tue May 04, 2021 7:05 am

Hi Chris

My VWR is the 2013 drop bar version, this was produced before Vivente started adding names like Deccan or Anatolia to their different versions. Although my bike has been heavily modified to suite my touring needs over the years so it is now quite a different beast to the original bike and current Deccan.

Your Tubus grand expedition is similar to my new Surly front rack so some of the issues I was describing may not apply. I would suggest experimenting with different left right loads on the rack to test how sensitive it is. I use my front panniers for non consumable items and pack them so that they are roughly equal in weight before heading out.

I think a large part of your problem with the flex may be your riding technique, specifically rocking a loaded bike side to side. The key to riding a heavily loaded bike is to ride smooth, when out of the saddle no rocking. When rocking a loaded bike you are throwing a heavy weight on the frame from side to side which will flex the frame and is also not energy efficient. I only get out of the saddle on easy climbs or the flat for a change of position to rest my butt and avoid rocking the bike when out of the saddle like the plague. When climbing steep grades I spin a low gear seated and once my speed drops to about 5 kph I will get off and push as it is more energy efficient.

How much you carry can be a very personal thing, a lot of people I meet on the road think that I am crazy for carrying as much as I do. The right load is the one that you are comfortable with and meets your needs and it will change over time.

Mark