Advice for older rider

andyBike

Advice for older rider

Postby andyBike » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi,

New to this forum. I have returned to riding, gradually using a $50 Malvern Star, 37 inch hybrid with the seat as far up as it can go, obviously not suitable in the longer term.

I am 65, and weight (112kgs), sex feet in height. Ride on road and bike tracks in Melbourne.

I am looking for another Malvern Star - had one when I was a kid and then as Uni student etc.......

Would be appreciative of advice on a suitable secondhand bike or new.

Thanks Andrew

rodneycc

Re: Advice for older rider

Postby rodneycc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 pm

andyBike wrote:Hi,

New to this forum. I have returned to riding, gradually using a $50 Malvern Star, 37 inch hybrid with the seat as far up as it can go, obviously not suitable in the longer term.

I am 65, and weight (112kgs), sex feet in height. Ride on road and bike tracks in Melbourne.

I am looking for another Malvern Star - had one when I was a kid and then as Uni student etc.......

Thanks Andrew
Howdy Andrew, just really be careful mate on that $50 Malvern Star. Not sure how much your knees/hip/back/insert body part is worth to you but its not worth the damage I'd suggest if something starts to hurt and/or break. That's what riding on a bad fitting bike can do especially when you are older and not as flexible as you once were.

So I suggest going to your local bike shop and have a look around and test ride some bikes and get the shop to fit you up to something appropriate. I also wouldn't lock myself into a Malvern Star just because they use to be good. There are a lot of better brands out there now such as Giant, Trek, Specialized, etc that I'd personally look at first. And don't be afraid to lay down a bit of extra cash for a better bike than you initially intend to buy. Sometimes you have to ask the question how important are your knees to you?

Anyway good luck with it. Once you are on the road/paths you will love it ( or maybe come spring as winter in Melbs can be a little crap).

Cheers.

Ps
Giant Cross City
Trek FX series
Specialized Sirius
All good beginner bikes.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

andyBike

Postby andyBike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi,

Thanks very much for the advice, much appreciated and precipitated a constructive discussion about a new bike!!

The reference list you gave gives me a great starting point.

Andrew

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 pm

rodneycc wrote: I also wouldn't lock myself into a Malvern Star just because they use to be good.
Malvern Star isn't the same company anymore, indeed it (the name) has changed hands many times.

Never less, they've got some tasty stuff out there, such as the Oppy S1 and their other "heritage" bikes.

Advice: tyres are finally coming back to what you and I would consider "normal" (e.g. around inch-and-a-quarter a.k.a. 32mm) In fact, my advice would to hunt down what we used to consider a "sensible" bike. Full mudguards, tyres between 32mm and 50mm, bars no lower than the seat.

Brooks saddles and reynolds tubing are still around. And still not cheap. But cheap bikes are much better than they were - e.g. Reid's vintage roadster for the cost of three or four tanks of fuel.

The positive is that there's much more choice these days.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:41 pm

andyBike wrote:Hi,

Thanks Andrew
Agree with RodneyCC in that Malvern Star have their best days behind them, however some of us have issues letting that era go, and I can fully appreciate your desire for something classic.

My just-finished training bike (if we can call what I do 'training') is a late 1980s (probably 1989) Malvern Star Triathlete which I've updated a little bit with 8sp indexed gearing, modern brakes and aero wheels with modern tyres :

Am also just finishing off a 1982 (approx) Malvern Star Ultrasport with flat bars, heavy duty hybrid type wheels + 32mm Vittoria Randonneur touring tyres and modern braking. The vision is a classic, steel-framed commuter or general purpose bike, with modern reliability and ease of use. Just waiting on a couple of parts.

So I totally get it. That being said, I'm sure there's something floating around on Gumtree for reasonable $s that would suit.

Something like this Avanti Blade flat bar road bike maybe :

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oakleig ... 1186520927
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

andyBike

Postby andyBike » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:33 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I went with Giant roam 2 disk hydraulic brakes and added some extras.

all the best.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:06 pm

Sounds like a good choice. I bought a Giant Roam with some frame damage for the parts off it. Ended up riding it a couple of times then and found it quite comfortable. I’ve still got most of the parts from it, but bought a new frame because I didn’t trrust the frame in it’s damaged state.

Enjoy the riding.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.