Wiggle sign Aussie brand Chappelli + offer bike insurance

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wiggle sign Aussie brand Chappelli + offer bike insurance

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:11 am

That's right - firstly Wiggle are doing packages for 3rd party liability and for theft / replacement etc.

Details here

And they have also entered a partnership with the Sydney, Australia based brand Chappelli who are a fixed wheel bike company for sales internationally.
Cycling is in my BNA

jcjordan

Re: Wiggle sign Aussie brand Chappelli + offer bike insuranc

Postby jcjordan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:32 am

Does not provide cover while racing so not much use. Means no coverage during fondo and sportifs
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:53 am

jcjordan wrote:Does not provide cover while racing so not much use. Means no coverage during fondo and sportifs
??????

That is not what I read.
With Essential your bike is covered for riding and commuting. With Comprehensive you are covered whilst competing and can be extended to protect your bike if you travel overseas.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:55 am

My mistake, when I read the prospective off the website link I could not find a single reference to coverage in competition.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

slian

Postby slian » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:33 am

Quite keen on the Wiggle insurance but found this while reading the Cyclist Liability PDS:

It is not possible for us to provide unlimited cover for every risk associated with urban cycling
at an affordable premium, so there are some exclusions and limits applicable to your cover. For
example, when cyclists ride in groups, different situations are encountered to those
experienced by motorists. In groups, cyclists ride in very close proximity to each other with
almost no distance between cyclists and they change position continuously. Under these
conditions, each cyclist relies on the awareness, and skill, of those around them to avoid
collision. However, one slip or momentary loss of concentration usually has a domino effect
and can have catastrophic consequences. As a result, we are unable to cover property
damage to other bicycles that may arise under such extreme risk conditions. It is the intention
of this policy to provide cover for individual cyclists sharing the roads with motorists and
pedestrians in urban traffic conditions. Full details of policy exclusions are contained on page
10-11.

Is this typical with cycling third party insurance?

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:48 am

Taking a look at the inclusions chart, the Essential and Comprehensive levels DO NOT cover you for third party (liability) which i find strange.

I did a quick quote for my road bike and MTB bike (which i valued at 2500 and 1500 respectively - below purchase price but around 2nd hand pricing) for comprehensive cover and it came up with $21.50 / month.

Given my increase in racing, i'm tempted.

EDIT: Given that only the liability level has any third party coverage i assume the clause slian found above doesnt apply for the other levels? Seems particularly non-valid if you chose the comprehensive level for cover while racing.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:21 am

If you are racing, check the insurance cover you have with your Cycling Australia membership. Also, if you are a member of a state based advocacy group there is also insurance. Finally, if you have home and contents insurance, check this as well (and options / cost of extending for bicycle cover).

For some of the active insurance options, 3rd party liability is split from accident / theft cover.

Regarding the bunch riding clause, this makes it difficult. For example, what is the definition of a bunch (how many riders) assuming that a rider is covered when they cycle with one or two buddies. Extended cover which covers equipment while riding competitively would contradict itself as competitive cycling can have less motorist / pedestrian contact (closed or controlled circuits / routes) and bunch / peloton riding is the nature of many competitive cycle races. The clause is likely an escape cause which can be utilised if the insurance have doubts on a claim - though insurance is typical not aimed to be unfair or unreasonable.
Cycling is in my BNA