CyclingTips merges with Bike Exchange

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

CyclingTips merges with Bike Exchange

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:20 am

This is really big news - as an online media outfit, the viability of running CyclingTips to satisfy the vision of founder Wade Wallace was regularly discussed in the posts and newsletters, though the site and popularity has continued to grow.

BikeExchange is a popular online Australian bike marketplace which allows online shops to place their inventory online for sale through BikeExchange.
The partnership with BikeExchange will allow us to put those visions into motion and both businesses will be stronger together as a result.

What does this mean for CyclingTips? Well, for starters CyclingTips and BikeExchange will work together but remain separate sites. We’re always striving to get better and that won’t change. What this allows us to do is to expand into new markets and get better at what we do.
- Wade Wallace
Full Details: Bike Exchange Merger Announcement on CyclingTips
Cycling is in my BNA

gabrielle260

Re: CyclingTips merges with Bike Exchange

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:40 am

I read this last night and I'm still baffled how Cycling Tips will be able maintain impartiality when they are owned by a online "marketplace".
One of the best things about Cycling Tips is their ability to look with fresh and impartial eyes at issues such as doping, motors in bikes, UCI vs ASO etc.
I'm a fan of the site and would love this to work but I have some very strong doubts....

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:59 pm

This is a good question and also something I have considered. I assume that the backing from Bike Exchange will allow CyclingTips Blog to do more - to grow, while the international reach of CyclingTips will help Bike Exchange expand into overseas markets.

Because of the nature of both sites, any effect on impartiality would be marginal as CyclingTips don't really have substantial advantage from covering or not covering news. You could speculate that there could be a priority for Bike Exchange positive content (events, brands, campaigns), though the nature and DNA of CyclingTips has been to take an open and ethical approach to news - even if this means communicating a dilemma or justification for coverage or non-coverage.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:43 pm

I fear Cycling Tips will go the same way as Cycling News, which was once my prime source of information but which is now rarely up to date.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:24 pm

Maybe the folk at Cycling Tips can assist Bike Exchange to make their website uncrap?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:03 pm

+1
In fairness its probably the LBSs fault listing inaccurate stuff and not updating it enough.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

User Name

Postby User Name » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:06 pm

Was this a merger, or did CT basically sell to Bike Exchange?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:29 pm

User Name wrote:Was this a merger, or did CT basically sell to Bike Exchange?
I can only speculate about the exact details - maybe on the CyclingTips site they now have more details.

Financially, BikeExchange is stronger.
Cycling is in my BNA

User Name

Postby User Name » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:08 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
User Name wrote:Was this a merger, or did CT basically sell to Bike Exchange?
I can only speculate about the exact details - maybe on the CyclingTips site they now have more details.

Financially, BikeExchange is stronger.
Thanks.

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Now bringing in a paywall of some description, being sold as a membership with perks. Ive used the site for quite a few years now, mostly for race results and the daily news updates, a lot of their other articles increasingly appearing now, dont interest me greatly. Im also finding my internet connection doesnt like the changes to the main site in the past 12 months, my phone works fine with the mobile site, but the loading time for the pages on the main site has made it close to unusable some days, not having the same issue on other websites, so it seems to be a CT thing. :(

Dac

Postby Dac » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:19 pm

I used to read it daily when it was mainly local interest and before it went all pro. Now it's all race results that can be found elsewhere and cut-and-paste jobs from sites like L'Equipe and Inner Ring that somehow become "By Cycling Tips". I think I finally gave up when when they featured a review of a bell that cost something like AUD$70, maybe more. Whatever audience is seriously interested in a $70 bell doesn't include me.

I see that that their new "insider club" includes "Exclusive Kit" - I expect that this will be at least as prestigious as Round the Bay in a Day jerseys.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Dac wrote: I think I finally gave up when when they featured a review of a bell that cost something like AUD$70, maybe more. Whatever audience is seriously interested in a $70 bell doesn't include me.
Do you have a link to the bell :P

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:42 pm

...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:46 pm

Man that bell looks polished old school. A tiny electronic device actuated from your Garmin or something similar would be the way to go.