Wiggle to buy Chain Reaction?

WhingingPom

Wiggle to buy Chain Reaction?

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:32 am

I read it on the Internet, so it must be true!

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/wiggle ... les/019056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nobody

Re: Wiggle to buy Chain Reaction?

Postby Nobody » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Although I have bought from both in the last month or so, I can't see this being a good thing for competition or range of products. For what I buy, c r c has a better range than Wiggle, especially with the custom wheel building service. Oh well, that's progress. I'm not fond of buying from the US due to the delivery costs, but...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:15 pm

If this takeover goes ahead (which will result in a substantial lessening in competition) then I'll direct future orders to Ribble and the host of online sellers domiciled on the continent.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:13 pm

biker jk wrote:If this takeover goes ahead (which will result in a substantial lessening in competition) then I'll direct future orders to Ribble and the host of online sellers domiciled on the continent.
That's probably a better option. Although Ribble doesn't usually have what I'm looking for in stock.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:02 pm

biker jk wrote:If this takeover goes ahead (which will result in a substantial lessening in competition) then I'll direct future orders to Ribble and the host of online sellers domiciled on the continent.
Just as long as you have a strategy for managing your FX exposure JK you will be fine :wink:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is Wiggle about to buy Chain Reaction Cycles

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:28 am

According to Carlton Reid, a well known UK cycling journalist and bike advocate, insider information suggests "Wiggle is on the verge of absorbing its main retail rival Chain Reaction Cycles. It's said to be highly likely that the sale will go through next week."

I have written an article on BNA exploring the potential impact - along with speculation. Could be interesting for online shoppers.
Is Wiggle about to buy out Chain Reaction Cycles?
Cycling is in my BNA

Nobody

Re: Is Wiggle about to buy Chain Reaction Cycles

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:02 am

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=88703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:04 am

(Small interjection - didn't see this post so thanks for the report and link - my original and late comments have now been merged).
Cycling is in my BNA

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:28 am

Deal has been signed/ announced - http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/wiggle ... les/019067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:46 pm

Over the last couple of years, Wiggle has restricted a significant number of brands it makes available to Oz whilst, c r c don't appear to have been quite as strict in this regard. Hopefully I am proven wrong but ultimately I believe this takeover/merger can only be a bad thing for Australian customers.

My feeling is that the UK and EU competition authorities will let it happen because within Europe, the majority of online bicycle sales will still be available elsewhere which will be viewed as sufficient competition and Oz customers are an irrelevance.

Interesting times and if it happens, sad to see the demise of this competition.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Does anybody know if a Hardly Normal company may have recently acquired any holdings in Wiggle?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Does anybody know if a Hardly Normal company may have recently acquired any holdings in Wiggle?
Don't know about that but Ribble Cycles was recently taken over by a London-based retail investment firm. Together with the Wiggle/c r c tie-up, that's quite a bit of commercial activity in the UK cycling market within a relatively short time period.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Anybody visited the c r c web site lately? Looks like the site is being wound down, all stock on sale...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:57 pm

The web site is down at the moment. Looks like c r c might be gone. I liked them better than Wiggle too. My worst fears may have been realized. :(

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:19 pm

Works for me. c r c always has advertised clearances at this time of year...lots of stuff on pretend sale. Nothing new...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:37 pm

I just go to c r c to answer their product Q&A. Most of their staff don't have a clue & often give totally wrong information....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:59 pm

Duck! wrote:I just go to c r c to answer their product Q&A. Most of their staff don't have a clue & often give totally wrong information....
Without wishing to sound sycophantic because there are others on this forum who also willingly input their expertise. However, although I'm sure c r c buyers are appreciative, I believe a lot of people on this forum also appreciate your technical knowledge and willingness to share. Thanks.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:
Duck! wrote:I just go to c r c to answer their product Q&A. Most of their staff don't have a clue & often give totally wrong information....
Without wishing to sound sycophantic because there are others on this forum who also willingly input their expertise. However, although I'm sure c r c buyers are appreciative, I believe a lot of people on this forum also appreciate your technical knowledge and willingness to share. Thanks.
Duck! for president! Seriously though, thanks for your advice Duck! Much appreciated!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:Over the last couple of years, Wiggle has restricted a significant number of brands it makes available to Oz whilst, c r c don't appear to have been quite as strict in this regard. Hopefully I am proven wrong but ultimately I believe this takeover/merger can only be a bad thing for Australian customers.
c r c has always had a much wider range of products, and not just in the "significant brands" that have heavied wiggle into withdrawing their product for sale to Australian customers. It's hard to imagine them surviving in this form, so it's going to be a real loss for us ... all the more because postage from the continental bike shops is higher and slower.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:25 pm

I ordered some mudguards and they arrived to WA within a week. Good price, fast arrival. Hopefully it stays that way.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:04 pm

Wiggle and Chain Reaction merger moves closer to completion after CMA clearance
The merger of the two major online cycling retailers Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles should soon be finalised after the deal was cleared by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) this week.

The corporate name of the new company will be ‘WiggleCRC’ and is expected to generate revenues in excess of £300m.
Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... yAq2MVH.99

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:27 pm

Today Chain Reaction Cycles started stocking the Wiggle dhb cycle wear brand.
Cycling is in my BNA