Reid Cycles

hipster doofus

Reid Cycles

Postby hipster doofus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:05 pm

Just noticed today Reid cycles have opened a store In Cheltenham vic across the road from Westfeild Southland and Mc Donalds on Nepean hwy.
https://youtu.be/Ka1PeNNi6dg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

firemac71

Re: Reid Cycles

Postby firemac71 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:34 pm

I know where im going when the misses is shopping!!

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:44 pm

Yep thank goodness, I've already been in twice for two purchases and its only up the road about three ks away. :D

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Anyone know what Reid are up to business-strategy wise?

I've regularly eyed off some of their bikes, but they seem to have a tendency to sell out of the popular ones (or most sizes of), and then not restock/replace them. Falco, Ares, Zeus, Vice, SSXC, Vantage... the list goes on.

Surely it would make sense to reorder your popular models from the manufacturer and keep turning them over? Maybe I'm missing something...

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:48 pm

I beleive their comptative pricing may come from buying specified lots of builds rather than continually restocking at lesser order rates.

Also i beleive the falcos are being phased out ny their disc equipped models.

Same goes for parts. And when they get to a lower stock level they seem to aggressively sell the remaining stock at what i would guess a little over cost to free up warehouse room . I always keep an eye out for their tire runouts and stock up acordingly at the time.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 am

Looks like they closed their Sydney store - website only lists Melb, Bris and Adelaide.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 am

Yes Reid closed their Sydney store last week.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:47 am

The Perth store closed its doors on April 15, I ha to order a bike for my daughter online rather than have her test ride it first. Free delivery and a $30 discount via their eBay store though.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

sertse

Postby sertse » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:21 pm

What's up with both Reid and Cell?

Reid is shutting down two stores and have stock issues

Cell seems to have given up in house bikes, just redistributing some generic Chinese brand (totem) and now distribution using Merida for the high end?

Seems like the era budget home brand bikes are over.

4 1 3 0

Postby 4 1 3 0 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Yes i only noticed yesterday that cell were now dealing in Merida as was looking into Road bikes.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:26 am

sertse wrote:What's up with both Reid and Cell?

Reid is shutting down two stores and have stock issues

Cell seems to have given up in house bikes, just redistributing some generic Chinese brand (totem) and now distribution using Merida for the high end?

Seems like the era budget home brand bikes are over.
Surely they can't be making much money per bike?

It'd be a shame for them to close as they exactly fit the requirements and price for many occasional cyclists.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Velt

Postby Velt » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:07 am

Perhaps they are moving to online only?
Hope they don't go under, reid put out some excellent bang for your buck bikes (Reid granite).

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Thu May 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Brisbane store is closing this week now too - doesn't sound particularly positive.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri May 12, 2017 7:45 pm

I certainly hope Cell aren't looking to end production of their own brand, they've made some good stuff over the years (once they got past the early stuff like the "townhill" bikes).

The Totem disc road bike is seriously tempting at $630, as is the Reid Granite.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Reid Cycles in Brisbane has also closed.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Interestingly, both these brands came into prominence when the AUD was screaming. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

4 1 3 0

Postby 4 1 3 0 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:16 pm

What the hec is going on with Reid's
Saturday I happen to ride past Reid Cycles in Cheltenham ( on my Reid Osprey Elite ) on a ride into Melbourne and the store was all closed up and empty ?
I can only remember it was like yesterday when i wondered in when they were setting up the store. And a couple of months ago i happened to go in to purchase couple of tires and Handle bar grips and now the joint has closed ? :(

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue May 30, 2017 9:16 am

The Cheltenham store closed a couple of months back (at least).

They're scaling back physical stores, but there is definitely new stuff in the pipeline. See their global website blog - www.reidbikes.com

4 1 3 0

Postby 4 1 3 0 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Well if they keep the original Nth Melbourne store i wouldn't be to upset as that is where i purchased my bike a few of years ago.
Between you and me I have ridden mine a gazillion ks and was only serviced the once. Use the thing daily and if i told you the price I got it for, well it was on special anyway, For the money it has been just a great bike.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:12 am

A little bit of news on Reid Cycles.
Meanwhile in Australia Reid Cycles have closed their Sydney and Brisbane stores.

According to Reid Cycles Sydney website they had an end of lease sale with the final day of trade being 15th April.

Meanwhile their Brisbane store’s final day of trading was Sunday 14th May. Once again they advertised a big end of lease sale with up to $100 off bikes and up to 80% off parts and accessories.

In terms of remaining physical stores, Reid has their original North Melbourne location plus a store in the city centre of Adelaide.
Source: Bicycling Trade
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:09 pm

And some more information - from a direct request to Reid Cycles
Reid Cycles was established in 2009 with a strong commitment to providing Australia with the best value bikes. We’ve had stores in each major capital city, however, recently have gone through a restructure and have sadly had to close most of our stores. The tough retail market and the rising costs of running physical stores has made it difficult for us to stay true to our original vision. Moving forward we will operate in Melbourne, Adelaide and predominantly online shipping all over Australia. This will allow us to continue to provide Australia with high quality bikes, great value and excellent customer service.

Reid was established to make bike riding affordable for everyday riders and that’s what drives us every day. With over 300,000 people already riding Reid bikes across the globe we are excited to move forward with our original vision of quality, service and above all great value.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:17 pm

4 1 3 0 wrote:Yes i only noticed yesterday that Cell were now dealing in Merida as was looking into Road bikes.
Not sure what's happening there. I went in store at Stanmore to pick up a new Pro-Lite wheelset and found out my mate who was their main product designer responsible for their successes like the Brusnwick disc braked CX bike and the Awaba 29er HT has moved on. He's keeping his plans close to his chest at the moment, but is apparently "working on something".

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:58 am

That's right - cell bikes now have Pro Lite brand of wheel sets and have taken on Merida bikes. They have Totem as a new in-house brand.
Cycling is in my BNA

4 1 3 0

Postby 4 1 3 0 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:39 am

Looks like i will be continuing my business with Reid cycle through the North Melbourne store then with closer of the Cheltenham store.
Got my original bike at North Melbourne anyway and bee great service there in the past.

SentryBox

Postby SentryBox » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Cell Bikes are now closing their Stanmore store for good.

In the last 4 months innerwest Sydney has lost King Cycles Street Newtown, Reid and now Cell...... market conditions clearly pretty tough going in Sydney at the moment. All of those shops have been high volume, large floorspace stores in the past.