GoPro shares slump, fires 20% of its workforce

Jmuzz

Re: GoPro shares slump, fires 20% of its workforce

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:49 pm

RonK wrote:Why would you pay GoPro's price when you can buy a 4K WiFi Waterproof Action Camera for $29.99?
Because they really don't compare.
Those cheap cameras have a stuttery framerate and just worse in general.

Of course they still do the job, but it's not real pleasant viewing to anyone besides friends/family or if it captures something spectacular. The 4k is just worthless when it is stuttery and has bad HDR with a white sky and black shadows.
Depends what you want it for.

Of course lots of the market does just want a camera for friends and family Facebook shares of holiday or an adventure so GoPro is missing out in that market.

$200 budget still misses the market. They need to take on the $99 range.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Jmuzz wrote:
RonK wrote:Why would you pay GoPro's price when you can buy a 4K WiFi Waterproof Action Camera for $29.99?
Because they really don't compare.
Those cheap cameras have a stuttery framerate and just worse in general.

Of course they still do the job, but it's not real pleasant viewing to anyone besides friends/family or if it captures something spectacular. The 4k is just worthless when it is stuttery and has bad HDR with a white sky and black shadows.
Depends what you want it for.

Of course lots of the market does just want a camera for friends and family Facebook shares of holiday or an adventure so GoPro is missing out in that market.

$200 budget still misses the market. They need to take on the $99 range.
I have said this before and I will say it again. Buyers have had their say - they won't pay GoPro's price. That is why this thread exists.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:59 pm

RonK wrote:$200 budget still misses the market. They need to take on the $99 range.

The production prices were always much lower - they blew their margin on their ill-directed marketing and crazy ideas

But on pricing, it can be what people pay and if they decide they are premium, so be it. Low-end consumers want the high-end products, but if they are selling enough to the right people, then that's ok - it keeps it desirable. If you think about all of the media outlets (at least their contractors) who were using GoPro footage for broadcast - there was and still is a lot of business.

RIght now they have:
Hero6 - $599 (4K)
Hero5 - $429 (4k)
Hero - $299 (1080p)
Fusion - $999 (5.2k)

All have healthy price tags and very much towards the premium segment of sports action camera.
But you can get an Action Cam piece of junk for $40 - of course it is rubbish but I understand that GoPro wont compete for that market which is flooded. I think they can retain higher margins in the top segment but just have to look after their money in a smarter way.

The money and business management is the core of their problem and while the video posted in the thread earlier on talks about innovation and is valid - the market isn't yet completely over action cams so it is not the critical part of it.
Cycling is in my BNA