2019 Interbike show cancelled

Ross

2019 Interbike show cancelled

Postby Ross » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:49 pm

find_bruce

Re: 2019 Interbike show cancelled

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:50 pm

The Interbike show was scheduled for 15-19 September 2019 in Reno Nevada. Identified factors for the cancellation included declining attendance, the largest bike suppliers skipping the show and organising their own events and that about half of the 4,000 stores stock one brand. Presumably Advanced Sports International (Fuji & other brands)

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:55 pm

(@Ross, can you give us some of your favourite quotes from articles which are linked.)

Thanks for sharing, this is a shocked as behind Eurobike, this was a must-do show for most bike brands but with their management and moves it has been shaky.
Cycling is in my BNA

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:26 am

Sorry Chris, I was posting from my phone which doesn't allow multiple browser windows open to cut and paste quotes from the article

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:23 pm

:) you just don't have the dexterity of a 14 year old with a smart phone.

Here is an opinion Editorial from Bicycle Retailer which is also relevant locally and for other global shows.
How many times did Interbike attempt to bring dealers together at conferences, to improve their position in a competitive market, only to have so many snub their efforts
And today the industry is without a single organization, including the NBDA, with the financial muscle to bring dealers together, under one roof, to better position themselves in today's topsy-turvy marketplace.
I don't want to let Interbike off the hook. Let us not underestimate the escalating cost of exhibiting at Interbike. For too many companies, it became a near unbearable financial burden in a consolidating market. The show had become too complex; too many side shows, industry breakfasts and industry dinners as well as its ill-advised attempts at enticing consumers to what should have been the industry's crown jewel of a trade fair. Interbike staff was selling too many add-ons. It all left a bad taste for some.
but Interbike, perhaps, would still be with us today rather than in the morgue of trade shows past if they heeded dealers who found mid-September out of sync with the market.
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:58 pm

find_bruce wrote:The Interbike show was scheduled for 15-19 September 2019 in Reno Nevada. Identified factors for the cancellation included declining attendance, the largest bike suppliers skipping the show and organising their own events and that about half of the 4,000 stores stock one brand. Presumably Advanced Sports International (Fuji & other brands)
This reflects a lot of what is happening in the automotive industry too. The big motorshows are finding manufacturers backing away - in favour of their own private events.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:00 am

g-boaf wrote:
find_bruce wrote:The Interbike show was scheduled for 15-19 September 2019 in Reno Nevada. Identified factors for the cancellation included declining attendance, the largest bike suppliers skipping the show and organising their own events and that about half of the 4,000 stores stock one brand. Presumably Advanced Sports International (Fuji & other brands)
This reflects a lot of what is happening in the automotive industry too. The big motorshows are finding manufacturers backing away - in favour of their own private events.
Ignoring my lack of dexterity for a minute (how hard is it for people to click on a link and read for themselves...?) I agree with the above statement. I used to be a regular attendee at Sydney Motorshow (is it even still going?) but these days I can sit at home in the comfort of my lounge room and surf the internet and find pics and info of new, concept or pre-production cars. Sure not the same as actually seeing them in the metal, but good enough, especially as I am only a tyre kicker anyway, not going to buy one, plus time, traffic and accommodation in Sydney are 3 other good reasons not to go.

opik_bidin

Postby opik_bidin » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:08 am

Ross wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
Ignoring my lack of dexterity for a minute (how hard is it for people to click on a link and read for themselves...?) I agree with the above statement. I used to be a regular attendee at Sydney Motorshow (is it even still going?) but these days I can sit at home in the comfort of my lounge room and surf the internet and find pics and info of new, concept or pre-production cars. Sure not the same as actually seeing them in the metal, but good enough, especially as I am only a tyre kicker anyway, not going to buy one, plus time, traffic and accommodation in Sydney are 3 other good reasons not to go.
its dead

from wiki

In a statement released on 25 February 2014, VACC and FCAI announced the dissolution of the Australian International Motor Show joint venture.[11]

On 20 May 2014, VACC announced a joint venture with the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) to create the Australian Motoring Festival to be held at Royal Melbourne Showgrounds on 26–29 March 2015.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:34 pm

From a trade perspective - the trade shows used to be a key event for placing retail orders. Faster digital communication and platforms have naturally taken over.

A lot of big brands face bigger costs for space and building their stand along with the other marketing - and then they directly compete for attention against all of the others. The dealer shows... even flying dealers in can still be better value and you get 100% of their attention.

Big brands also have their road-trains and have tents at major events... so if the retailers attend and participate in these, the motivation to attend the big show drops a little.

The US is still a narrow market compared to Europe where the bike shows are still growing, and will continue when Interbike is gone.
Cycling is in my BNA