Garmin Edge Broken Tabs

A.Jeffrey

Re: Garmin Edge Broken Tabs

Postby A.Jeffrey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Why not just get in touch with Garmin and see if they will replace the whole back plate?

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:01 pm

Garmin Australia won't do jack... They are useless.... Most of the time they will try and make u pay for an "out of warranty" replacement as they deem tab failure as user error (unless u jump up and down or post to garmin US/UK)

A.Jeffrey

Postby A.Jeffrey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:09 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Garmin Australia won't do jack... They are useless.... Most of the time they will try and make u pay for an "out of warranty" replacement as they deem tab failure as user error (unless u jump up and down or post to garmin US/UK)
I've had Garmin warranty replace 2 sets of cracked vector pods, which they claim were not faulty. I think going through your LBS (where you bought it) would help, assuming they have a good relationship with garmin.
I agree that talking to Garmin directly is a pain though...

Lugfix

Postby Lugfix » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:32 pm

I'm aware that a metal fitting can incur the reverse damage to the plastic mount,to this end I have resisted calls to have my repair fittings anodised. I take great care that the areas that are engaged are highly polished which allows the plastic and metal to smoothly work together.

The problem as I see it regarding Garmin's engineering issue is primarily the plastic used on the 500, 510 and 810. The latest 1000 model uses a different plastic, not sure which grade but it looks very different. so far I have not had any requests for a 1000 repair fitting (that I know of) and I really hope I don't, outside of being damaged in a crash which is not and engineering fault.

Thanks for the feedback and keep the constructive crits coming.

su-pista

Postby su-pista » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:11 pm

I have a couple of 500 dummy units, you can just swap the internals over. They are the actual case minus a serial number and the internals. Pm me, I'm sure we could work something out.

tonydallea

Postby tonydallea » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:01 pm

I Have used the dog ears mounts and can confirm they work well.. The Garmin actually sits firmer in the K-Edge alloy mount as the tolerances are smaller..

Tony